[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does this exist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: og-image.png (37KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
og-image.png
37KB, 600x600px
Why does this exist?
>>
Because sometimes you need to run DOS on modern hardware
>>
Because 10-15 years ago there was a surprisingly large amount of MS-DOS software still around. Dell and HP had PC's sold with FreeDOS for a time.

But now we have DOSBox that can do much better more conveniently, and offices have caught up, so it's just a relic of the past.

Could have been interesting if they gave it a few genuinely modern touches though, like not needing a separate boot disc.
>>
>>57194170
This >>57194236
But also because of FUCK YOU, I like to have an OS that is both GNU and DOS.
>>
>>57194170
It was literally started in 1994 because people who preferred DOS to Win95 (a very reasonable preference at the time) didn't want to give up DOS. It uses a bit more RAM than MS-DOS by default but it's really a fantastic little OS.

Also because otherwise every time someone generated an MS-DOS boot floppy after Windows removed the functionality it was technically piracy.
>>
>>57194446
Win95 did not remove DOS though
>>
>>57194236
>Dell and HP had PC's sold with FreeDOS for a time.
You can still get that.
>>
>>57194236
What does DOSBox run, or is it just its own implementation?
>>
>>57194236
>Could have been interesting if they gave it a few genuinely modern touches though

I think it's too intentionally archaic to really serve a purpose any more.

I'd totally have it on one of my old laptops I've seemed to have accumulated from family and just have WordPerfect on it. Maximum comfy.

A change in philosophy for this is needed. Sort of like if they went with the idea of "what if the DOS era never ended."

Imagine DOS running like a linux multiplexer.
>>
>>57194803
B-b-but DOS is single-tasking system, isn't it?
Even its creator has given up on features for FreeDOS 2
>>
>>57194873
DOS of the time is, but that's the reason for the "what if the DOS era never ended" thing.
>>
>>57194803
>I'd totally have it on one of my old laptops
I agree. I tried to install it on a netbook but apparently I *need* to install it via a CD drive. Sucks.
Can still use DOSBOX though.
I kind of like it's primitive architecture, particularly the single address space and the 16-bit wordsize. Writing assembly for DOS actually makes some sense.
>>
Should make a port of it to ARM.

I'd love a dedicated DOS-Pi.
>>
>>57195051
>He doesn't know how to use FDISK
>Or format c: /s
You don't need anything but a boot floppy with FDISK to install DOS on any computer.
>>
>>57194170
>hw """testing"""
>ms don't get jelly if you ship it with your notebook
:))
>>
Can i play Caesar II on it?
>>
File: serveimage.gif (31KB, 96x100px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.gif
31KB, 96x100px
>>57194170
>>
>>57194236
>Complains about FreeDOS being antequated
>Hasn't heard of ReactOS
>>
>>57195160
The installing is fine for me (not them by the way), but booting in to it after I've installed wasn't worth the effort I was spending to do it.
>>
File: 1476822888324.jpg (37KB, 750x709px) Image search: [Google]
1476822888324.jpg
37KB, 750x709px
>>57195196
>No knowing how to boot a DOS computer
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.