[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Online manuals - what's the point?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: hqdefault.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
Considering that a large majority have people have more storage than they'll even come close to using, and considering the size of such a thing, why aren't manuals automatically installed with the programs? This includes OSs as well.

Even if you were to fill the manual with images you'd only count a few MB, and even if the manuals for something like Windows are many hundreds of MB, that would still be a better usage of space than many of the things in the multi-GB monster that is Windows 10.

So why is it that if you hit F1 to get help it takes you to a website?

And yes, I am aware of man-pages. But those are largely the exception these days.
>>
>>57193438

So people can't own/distribute outdated versions of the manual?
>>
>>57193481
Surely having the manual be tied to the version you have would make more sense. Besides, all it takes is a little version number header.
>>
>>57193438
I agree.
>>
because you can't use analytics scripts with a pdf.

oh hey people are googling 'why is my software full of pictures of some gross ugly guy's dick' before landing on your FAQ page. well that's interesting
>>
>>57193438
Nobody uses manuals anymore, they use Google
>>
>>57193438
But we already have those, they're called man pages. The syntax on any GNU/Linux, BSD, or general UNIX-System would be:

man command

There's also the info command, which does the same thing. Oh, and can't ignore 'help'.

What's truly infuriating is when you are directed to another manual within a man page.
>>
File: skinner.jpg (38KB, 500x307px) Image search: [Google]
skinner.jpg
38KB, 500x307px
>>57193438
>he uses windows
>>
>>57193438
Companies are Jews and assume if you have a digital manual nothing is stopping you from pirating all the software. Scientific companies do this with all their proprietary shit and it's annoying as fuck. Rather than email you a PDF they will ship you a physical manual that you obviously have to pay for. What are you gonna do, buy this machine from a rival? We're the only ones that make it and have a contact with your department haha kek kek fuck you
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.