[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Networking OS-s

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: 1473427749413.jpg (135KB, 640x609px) Image search: [Google]
1473427749413.jpg
135KB, 640x609px
I'm currently learning the Cisco IOS as a part of the Cisco Academy and I'm wondering what other Networking/Routing OS-s should i learn to use? In other words, what Operating Systems other than IOS are most used on networking equipment?
>>
BUMP
>>
>>57189778
there are none other
>>
>>57190142
How do you mean? There are those linux OS-s, but there's a bunch of them and I don't know which ones are relevant
>>
>>57189778
Your question is confusing as fuck, but you just need to learn other companies routers as you work on them. Going from a Cisco router to a Juniper router isn't horribly difficult once you know how to use a Cisco router. Just some of the commands are different. As long as you actually understand what you are doing you can easily look up the commands from different companies and learn the syntax as you go.
>>
>>57190266
What about the Router OS and Open wrt?
>>
Some Cisco reps came to my college back in 2006 to teach an optional, several thousand dollar opt-in course.

They cancelled it at the last minute due to low (sub 20) enrollment but kept the applicant's money.

Truly an enterprising company.
>>
>>57189778
Pfsense is nice if you know what you're getting into.
>>
>>57190191
they mostly work the same and they aren't really "networking OSes" they're simply Linux oses set up to be used in the place of regular managed switch software, and they work alike. with a bit of googling and you will see how it's mostly the same shit with a different name and a lower bill on it. (but no support acceptable for corporate environments)
>>
>>57190352
this can only happen in America, in a real country, several thousand dollars pays for your entire education.
>>
File: 1475157201510.jpg (494KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1475157201510.jpg
494KB, 1024x768px
>>57189778
JUNOS is GOAT, heavily used in ISP environments
>>
>>57190473
No it doesn't.
>>
>>57192242
Juniper is a shit company, though.
>>
>>57192272
in the Netherlands I actually got my bachelors for free, now in Canada im getting a 2 yr Masters for free since I married my native girlfriend.
>>
>>57192332
>for free
>he really believes this
>>
>>57192295
... That's true. Had the pleasure of several Webex sessions with their Pajeet brigade in Mumbai and the devs make some weird decisions for you.

Their OS is still wonderful to work with. IOS feels archaic now. Our boss wants us to switch to Ciena for CPEs, I dread the day.
>>
File: 1475829912014.png (235KB, 466x750px) Image search: [Google]
1475829912014.png
235KB, 466x750px
>>57192348
>being this americucked
>thinking it doesn't benefit everyone as a whole as your country's training level is raised and you start being worth more internationally, even if everyone pays a little more taxes
>thinking you can't just move out and use that degree elsewhere as soon as tax hell kicks in
fucking americucks, enjoy them student loans
>>
windows xp lite with packet tracer, virtualbox with centOS, a pdr reader and browser is all you need
>>
>>57190292
The performance of OpenWRT compared to something like a Juniper router or pfSense is really slow. Kind of sad, really. Openflow needs to be ported to networking operating systems for it to work properly, Linux just isn't one for it. Hash table forwarding tables just don't cut it for a commercial router. If you REALLY have to send things through the kernel, and not just the NIC, you better make sure that kernel is optimized. Linux is far from that.
>>
>>57189778
sabuha
>>
Can someone fill me in on what freeswitch is?
>>
>>57189778
>that pic
Holy shit I didn't know classic Ibo was so funny XD
>>
>>57189778
There's nothing else worth wasting your time with. Cisco run this shit.
>>
Switching and routing is literally the same regardless of what platform it's on.

Just "?" to victory if you're on a device and you don't know the syntax.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.