[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trying to understand VPN

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: vpn.png (75KB, 580x255px) Image search: [Google]
vpn.png
75KB, 580x255px
Is a VPN basically an encrypted proxy? In this case, it can only be trusted as much as the VPN service provider, right? They might save logs of the servers/peers I connect to through them.

And if it is, what's the advantage of using a VPN server over a proxy server you connect to through HTTPS/FTPS only?

I'm talking about the normie usage of a VPN (downloader, political activist, Chinese person), not about the business usage (i.e. actually setting up a virtual private network spanning several physical sites).
>>
A normie VPN is the same as a business VPN. The only difference is businesses usually use split tunneling, so o my traffic destined to internal resources at another location utilize the VPN, and their internet traffic gets router out their local internet connection. Normies use VPNs to tunnel all their traffic, regardless if its destination to go to some other location and exit out to the internet from that locations internet connection.
>>
>>57189667
Yes its more or less the same, but the VPN tunnels all your connections through it
>>
>>57190386
I thought proxies did too but now that you mention it I think they only do a handful of protocols, you're right, and probably not the P2P ones.
>>
>>57189667
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVPN
>>
>Is a VPN basically an encrypted proxy?
Almost, a VPN is an encrypted end to end tunnel that by default all traffic will go through, a proxy by default only works on certain ports/protocols and may not be encrypted
>>
what's the best vpn?
>>
>>57189667
VPNs in the case you mention is really for avoiding the harvesting of accurate metadata that can be singled to a specific IP address. Header level, effectively.
>>
OP here. Thanks guys for the help understanding VPN.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.