[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

confuse

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
hey /g/

I run a small computer shop in Australia, and I was thinking of creating a range of Linux-based laptops as an alternative to Windows. What is the most aesthetically pleasing, yet resource light distro that is relatively easy to use.

Most people will say Ubuntu or any of its derivitives because it's more suited towards winfags. But I want my customers to have a single application that contains new software (chrome, Spotify, etc) without having to download .deb's or manually add repositories.

That's why I'm thinking of using arch, which relies upon one place - the AUR.

I was thinking of antergOS, which is an installer of Linux that comes with a desktop environment out of the box, and all the apps you choose to be default apps. I was gonna skin xfce to be as good looking as gnome, without sacrificing battery life or resources.

My only problem is finding a suitable GUI for arch or (antergOS) so that the average person can install packages.

I know deepin has a great store app, but the security is questionable, with really high resource use from the desktop environment alone.

What do you guys reckon I should try? Open to any suggestions.
>>
wats wrong with gnome software center
>>
>>57187552
Sorry I meant - I need to find a suitable GUI for pacman, or a program that translates basic user interaction into terminal commands for pacman (essentially an App Store for AUR)
>>
>>57187562
No chrome, Spotify, or direct installations of Windows apps (run through wine) - but without wine setup and debugging. All of this is available in the AUR, but there's no GUI. Also, often have to delete log files every few weeks as the logs get interrupted (I can provide Ubuntu-forums threads which people complain about this common issue).

My ultimate wish, gnome software centre with access to AUR packages and tar.gz installation capability.

>inb4 chrome is a botnet
The average consumer doesn't give a fuck - what does make them give a fuck is when they complain to me 'whys my chrome blue' for installing chromium
>>
>>57187552
you want to sell arch linux to your clients? within two weeks when the OS breaks from an update you'll have waves of people demanding refunds
>>
>>57187605
> chrome, Spotify, or direct installations of Windows apps
why not just include those in the main install just like every other vendor does with their bloat
>>
Pamac and make sure you install a Lts kernel
>>
I'd go with mint/Ubuntu with mate/cinnamon and add a shitload of additional repositories.
Maybe add a dock like cairo, since it's more convenient than the traditional window bar. Also gives you more free space in the taskbar for things.

Noone needs Spotify when you have clementine as default music app, since it offers to add Spotify accounts among SoundCloud, other services and the common cloud services.
>>
>>57187637
Good idea
>>
>>57187672
A lot of people use free Spotify accounts so I'm assuming that clementine needs a premium tho (basing on experience with tomahawk, which was horrible)

I'll try clementine and see what it's like :)
>>
>>57188593
If you wanna sell Linux to normies, you want to install the normies' Linux, that is Ubuntu. Anything with a smaller user base will make it more difficult for your clients to find help on the internet when they need it. So they will turn to you.

The worst would be some advanced-user Linux distro of course.

You also want to install Ubuntu with all the default options so that you're not bothered with endlessly customizing new installs.

Ubuntu has a Software Center now for normy installation of software.

Not everyone uses Chrome, Spotify, X, Y, Z. I would rather hand out short "how to install" guides for popular software that is difficult to install on Linux, rather than add additional repositories or anything non-default.

Last time I installed Chrome for Linux, it was as easy as downloading the .deb from Google and double-clicking on it. The Software Center opened and proceeded to install from this .deb (as if it was a local APT repository). An appropriate APT line was even added to my sources.list by the .deb's post-install script. This was Google's recommended way of installing Chrome for Linux.

I don't know about Spotify, last time I checked Linux was absolutely not officially supported, install-it-at-your-own-risk.
>>
OP where is your store, I would be interested in someone setting up a stable Linux machine for me.
>>
>>57188852
I am in Perth, Western Australia. I run the business from my home but I have plenty of experience building laptops. website is konoto.com.au.

The stock on there is outdated due to me doing exams, but I am creating a new product line soon which will include AMD RX, GeForce 10 graphic cards, ultrabooks, and a business laptop similar to a thinkpad.

Anyway hmu [email protected] if you're interested. My ABN is on the website in case you need it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.