[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which Distro is better for someone new to Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: feed the noob.png (95KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
feed the noob.png
95KB, 800x600px
Im so incredibly new to Linux but my boss wants someone in the office to learn how to use it. any suggestions as to what distro would be good for a beginner and any suggestions of ways to learn would be great.
>>
>>57186117
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Don't listen to any other replies. Delete this thread immediately.
>>
Some flavour of Ubuntu or Fedora
>>
trisquel
>>
Install gentoo
>>
>>57186117
You can already use most distros apart from the package / configuration management, because the rest of your expected usage is kinda the same as on Windows,

Anyhow, try Fedora, Ubuntu/Mint, Sabayon or whatever.

Though if you want to get involved enough to actually fix sysadmin problems (is that your job?), maybe LFS, Slackware or Gentoo would be useful.
>>
>>57186117
arch or gentoo
>>
>>57186117
Any of the *buntus.
>>
Parrot OS...totally kidding..ubuntu is stabe and has the most support i think
>>
if you do go with Ubuntu, as least use Ubuntu Mate or one of the other variations, Unity is a fucking awful DE
>>
File: Jobsworth.jpg (75KB, 634x421px) Image search: [Google]
Jobsworth.jpg
75KB, 634x421px
>>57186117

Jobsworth
>>
>>57186117
Learn one that is easy to install and network with a piss easy package manager to use that will resolve dependencies for you with good documentation, a large community forum and support.
Now be a good slave for your boss.
>>
>>57186300
>implying you cant just uninstall it
>>
>>57186124
>>57186124
You can use it on your servers and your desktops so you don't need to learn new skills later.

Linux Mint 18 isn't a bad shout if you want a change of Desktop Environment but that is very close to ubuntu. Maybe kubuntu as well if you fancy using KDE.
>>
>>57186117
Linux Mint with Cinnamon
>>
>>57186117
Debian, later on arch linux

https://distrochooser.de/?l=2
Try this
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.