[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to get a software dev Job if your self-thought ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

>>
>>57185924
Probably not.

You should at least go to a boot camp.
>>
>>57185952
>falling for the bootcamp meme
Just get contacts and build a portfolio
>>
Get certifications.
>>
Personal projects + commits + certs
>>
Win a hackathon and contribute to open source projects so your resume is impressive. This can get you hired at shitty little startups trying to find good programmers they don't have to pay very much. If you're talented you can eventually move on to a better job at a better company.
>>
You just need prove your mad skillz in some way.
>>
>>57185924
Programming is half the job. You need project management skills
>>
>>57185924
>self-thought
Maybe try thinking of other people for a change, you self-centered ass.
>>
>>57185924

Write good code (preferably in the area of which you want to work in), put it on github.

Reference said code in your application, believe me, at work we've had CS graduates applying for work who can't even pass the simplest test and can't show any project they've written.

I have no idea how they manage to graduate.
>>
Do some internships. If they like what you do, you might be offered a position. But expect your rate to be shit.
>>
>>57186240
Don't do this. Internships are completely shit, and programming is one of few areas you can bypass them with ease. Startup company will teach you better and pay you more at the same time.
>>
>>57187570
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ worked for me
>>
>>57186215

Lots of googling and stack exchange forums. That's what I did to pass my required programming courses for my IT degree.
>>
>>57185924
>your
first teach you are self some grammar
>>
>>57185924

know someone willing to take a chance, and then impress once you get your chance

That's how I did it
>>
>>57186185
Kek
>>
>>57185924
>self-thought
if you don't know the difference between thought and taught you're never getting employed
>>
>>57185924
Just network and know the right people. I was hanging out lot in pub 15 years ago and guy who was manager for Nokia (when it wasn't still bankrupt) and was talking about coding and shit, he asked me 'hey, do you know how to code C++ are you interested in position'.

Of course that's just talk but it really depends who you know and what you can do to fill the position.
>>
>>57187570

I think you can learn a lot at internships.

Of course it's bad, money wise. But you'll make good experience. Also they have lowered expectation and even if you fuck up, it's not so bad - better to do something stupid when it doesn't count.

>source:
>fucked up internship royally
>got trouble with half of the company
>learned my lesson
>got a job (somewhere else) some month later
>>
>>57193356
how did you fuck up?
>>
>get relevant certificates
>start networking at meetings etc. and be a freelancer OR
>talk to a recruiter
>>
>>57185924
Go into partnership with someone making a shit app or site. Go bankrupt. Own small software house experience like a boss
>>
>job
>not launching your own startup

The 1% elite are so flush with cash, they are giving anything that resembles a good idea money.
>>
>>57185924
Get as many certifications as you can.

Build a portfolio you can show off.

Plenty of people work programming jobs without a university degree, but you gotta have some proof beyond your word.
>>
>>57194212
is fizzbuzz in several programming languages enough?
>>
File: launchcode4chan.png (54KB, 1008x403px) Image search: [Google]
launchcode4chan.png
54KB, 1008x403px
Contact this organization. They will help you.
>>
File: HOL UP.jpg (53KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
HOL UP.jpg
53KB, 1280x720px
>>57193356
>got trouble with half of the company

did u shoot up the office or something?
>>
>>57195306
no trigguh discipline, what a double nigger
>>
>>57185924
Contribute to public projects and get certifications or suck it the the fuck up and go to school like everyone else. Self self-thought [sic] programmers are usually not the shit, their shit.
>>
>>57195383
You are assuming he isn't going to shoot someone in the next moment.
>>
>misspelled taught
>literally in the image

You had one fucking job.
>>
>>57185924
>self tought
>your
>>
>>57185924
Get certs
Post/contribute tons of shit on Github
Go to hackathons
Don't be lazy
>>
>>57186167
exactly
>>57186171
also this
>>
>>57195306
>A watchable debate
>>
>>57185924
learn how to spell correctly first
>>
File: 1471146110510.jpg (116KB, 528x960px) Image search: [Google]
1471146110510.jpg
116KB, 528x960px
Work on open source code. Contribute to open source projects. Go to meetup dot com and join meetups relevant to your interests.

Get hired writing propriety close source code. Feels bad man.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.