[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people use Arch if every few weeks all your shit gets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: 1476824327328.png (151KB, 860x758px) Image search: [Google]
1476824327328.png
151KB, 860x758px
Why do people use Arch if every few weeks all your shit gets broken because it's a rolling release?
>>
I'm going to share you a secret... [spoiler]It's a meme we spread to prevent others from using the superior master race distro[/spoiler]
>>
if you don't want your system to brake, use Windows 10 instead.
>>
>>57184581
It's not broken if you know how to use your computer
>>
>>57185383
Windows 10 is also rolling
>>
>>57184581
>Why do people use Arch if every few weeks all your shit gets broken because it's a rolling release?

I've used Arch exclusively for 9 months now on my desktop and laptop.

Only ONCE has something "broken" - qbittorrent was updated but qt rastebar or some shit was a day behind pushing out update.

The fix : reverting qbt to a previous version.

literally had no OTHER problems. It's worked flawlessly
>>
File: par1.jpg (174KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
par1.jpg
174KB, 2560x1600px
>>57185866
How do you revert?
>>
>>57185879
pacman -U [old pkg]
add an ignore line for the package on yr /etc/pacman.conf file
>>
>>57185879
Grab the old package from your pacman cache
If you want it automated then there's downgrade
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/downgrade/
>>
>>57184581
That's why i use a Mac
>>
>>57185921
windows*
>>
>>57185925
Thank you i almost went gay
>>
File: bait.jpg (110KB, 1171x540px) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
110KB, 1171x540px
Nice meme, friendo.
I've been using Arch for 5 years now, desktop, laptop and server, rolling update broke things TWICE, and even then you only need to read the news feed to see how to fix it.
>>
i've been using arch for 4 years now as my main desktop and laptop os

there have been a few hiccoughs along the way, but ultimately i've had less hassle with this than i did debian/ubuntu/gentoo which i have used previously
>>
>>57184581
dog i've been using arch as my main os for 3 years and this has never happened. Maybe you are too retarded to do a proper install, it's not like the documentation isn't there for brain dead faggots like you either.
>>
>>57185837
Right, it's rolling because it has no brakes.
>>
>>57185866
One of the many reasons "blindly grab latest version of packages from a public repo" build systems are retarded
>>
Because that's just the trade-off for having the newest features. And when shit gets broken, it's actually easy to fix and patches come quickly.
>>
>>57185866
Just this month LightDM and NetCDF was broken for like a day. Just because you didn't notice it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
>>
Realistically it doesn't break.
I once updated a forgotten Arch rig after over a year and after rebooting everything still worked fine.
>>
It doesn't break
>>
>>57184581
usually it only breaks when some retard dev wants to make a big change. like that symlink thing they had a while ago.
>>
>>57185533
>>57188572
>>57188686
It does break though. Recently there was some library update and ffmpeg stopped working, hence there was no video in any browser or player. I had to fix it by symlinking .so.12 to .so.11 or something like that. I've been using Parabola (deblobbed version of Arch) for a month and shit like this already happened three times.
>>
By not updating and waiting for a while.
>>
>>57188724
that problem was fixed in matter of 2 days
one day update came out
the other day it was fixed
>>
>>57188750
I know, but it's still not friendly for typical users and quite annoying. Somehow Fedora manages to have as fresh packages as Arch but without problems like this one.
>>
>>57188724
I was using Parabola for a long time till I got tired of that shit and switched to Trisquel
>>
>>57188844
Eh, I have no other choice. I don't like Trisquel, because I literally hate APT and .deb. I wish there was a completely free distro based on Fedora.
>>
File: 1387121823130.png (669KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1387121823130.png
669KB, 500x500px
>>57188868
k, free software user
>>
>>57188868
>I wish there was a completely free distro based on Fedora.
There is, retart.
Check out blag.
>>
>>57189196
don't call others a retart, last blag release was based on Fedora 14. The version of Fedora that the alpha is based on, support for it has already ended as well.
>>
>>57189249
Look, freedom is about giving up/compromising.

Freedom isn't free.
>>
>>57189282
yeah, having terrible security sounds like a great idea
>>
>>57189296
Eh, you've already got terrible everything else
>>
>>57189196
I wish I could use blag because it looks kind of anarchic, sort of childish and passionate which I like (look at their website). But well… it hasn't been updated for years. Maybe I should try GuixSD or Dragora? They don't use APT.
>>
>>57189339
Can't you just use whatever OS you like and opt to not use nonfree software/firmware?

I don't understand why FSF approval is so important if you're educated enough to know the difference in free and nonfree.
>>
>>57189406
No, because in typical distributions some packages contain blobs and I'm too lazy to compile the free versions of them myself everytime.
>>
>57184581
That doesn't happen
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.