[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could the Nintendo Switch be the first retail Tegra X2 device?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: Nintendo Switch.jpg (233KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo Switch.jpg
233KB, 1920x1080px
>Nintendo Switch is powered by the performance of the custom Tegra processor. The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

"Same architecture as the top-performing GeForce cards" means Pascal, which means Tegra X2.

Now here's a thought: it would probably be hard to keep the retail price down if it's actually housing an X2, unless Nvidia is cutting Nintendo a deal and using the Switch as a proof of concept to show off how ridiculously fast ARM architecture is improving, banking on the possibility that they get it right and the Switch knocks it out of the park by being a mobile device that's truly on par with modern gaming consoles in power.

Probably a bit far fetched, but one other notable point is that Nintendo recently patented what's called a 'supplemental computing device', which is almost surely referencing the Switch base. It's a cool patent to look over for a variety of reasons, but what's important here is that part of it involves basically daisy chaining processors together. It sounds like in the future you might be able to incrementally upgrade the base (and then maybe the tablet itself) in half-generation cycles, which would lock users into a Tegra environment where Nvidia could double and maybe triple dip on initial Switch sales over time with hardware updates.
>>
File: flops.jpg (171KB, 960x957px) Image search: [Google]
flops.jpg
171KB, 960x957px
>>57171247
But Nintendo never cared about performance and graphics, they just rebadge Mario games and make profit. They're like the AMD of video games.
>>
>>57171290
Nintendo doesn't not care about graphics (and never isn't correct anyway, this has only been a thing since the Wii), they care about having their devices accessible and open to wider audiences than traditional console gaming. They also clearly have a strong grasp on the handheld console market and are looking to push into mobile development, so if you could have a handheld/TV set hybrid that comes at a reasonable price point and is near to modern TV set consoles in computational power, I think they'd be over the moon for the opportunity to market something like that.
>>
>>57171328
>strong grasp on handheld
Isn't that because of Pokemon?

Also, arm is pretty easy to develop for which is a plus.
>>
>>57171383
Yeah, now imagine Pokemon running on Switch hardware. Nintendo handhelds already run on ARM so it would probably be a smart switch from an internal standpoint, too.
>>
>>57171247
Nvidia are desperate to get Tegra off the ground, because it's been a disaster so far. I wouldn't be surprised if they're breaking even at best in this deal, just for the exposure.
>>
>>57171435
Tegra devices have been improving at a ridiculous rate though, and getting X2 into a device with a guaranteed install base that could serve as the new gold standard for mobile based gaming would be a big win.
>>
I don't give fuck, playing games is a waste of time. It's better do sell them to fags and make money.
>>
File: carlos.png (138KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
carlos.png
138KB, 350x350px
>>57171421
Sure it will be a smart switch.
>>
File: 1471779601291.jpg (66KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
1471779601291.jpg
66KB, 450x600px
>>57171522
>>
>>57171383
>>57171421
>ARM is easy to develop for
I don't know much about modern game development, but I don't think this is crucial.
>>
I really don't get what they're trying to do with this thing. It looks like a underpowered standard console with a battery lackluster tablet. IMO they should have kept the wii and the handheld line separate... Maybe shove that tegra into a new xDS and make the screens better without that 3D bullshit (VR is the future)
>>
>>57171728
This is their next gen handheld. Think of it from that perspective, a handheld that's near console quality, and you might figure out why it's so cool.
>>
>>57171551
It was a big deal with the PS3. The Cell processor was really powerful (people make supercomputers with them) and a good idea in a lot of ways but also notoriously difficult to develop for. Ease of development is always a plus.
>>
>>57171501
yeah, but watching anime is cool, yeah
>>
>>57171247
Of course it will be

Nvidia literally ripped their Shield 2 off the shelves because of it.

Last time they made an effort in console hardware this big was the Xbox 1 back in 2002 and PS3 in 2005-2006
>>
supposedly 256 cuda cores up to a gigahertz, using pascal arc. that's nowhere near even a GTX 1060
>>
>>57171885
>handheld

Not in the traditional sense that you can put it in your pocket. The Nintendo Switch is not in the same class as the great successes of the Gameboy, GBA, DS, and 3DS. It's more in the class of the Virtual Boy, and we know how much that succeeded.
>>
>>57172190
What the fuck kind of pockets do you have that fit a DS/3DS (much less XL variants) comfortably? Besides, it's not like it's a wild idea to carry a tablet in your pack in 2016 anyway.
>>
>>57172223
>What the fuck kind of pockets do you have that fit a DS/3DS (much less XL variants) comfortably?

Adult pockets.

>Besides, it's not like it's a wild idea to carry a tablet in your pack in 2016 anyway.

It is for adults who don't carry backpacks like a kid on his way to school.
>>
>>57172232
>adult pockets
>carries Gameboys around in them all day

Clearly.
>>
>>57172255
Just wait for the day you have kids. Do you remember carrying around your Game Boy? I don't, but my father does.

And occasionally, he played it.
>>
>>57171897
They make supercomputers from the Cell because of it's price retard. It doesn't have magical performance. It just had a multi-core architecture which devs at the time hated(read: incompetent devs)
>>
>>57171247
>means Pascal, which means Tegra X2.

Or they could be lying about it, which would not be unexpected from Nvidia.
>>
File: 1462604165002.gif (1MB, 250x233px) Image search: [Google]
1462604165002.gif
1MB, 250x233px
This new 3DS is fire son!
>>
I thought this was running the Dual Core variant of X1?
>>
>>57173001
No confirmation at all, that was a rumour about what was in the dev kits that were sent out like 7 months ago.

We don't know if that's anything other than just like "Well this is the right type of chip for you to start working on stuff until we have the real thing ready" since the Pascal production apparently wasn't ready until very recently.
>>
File: proxy[1].jpg (102KB, 500x490px) Image search: [Google]
proxy[1].jpg
102KB, 500x490px
>>57173044
This could be the case

the first 360 dev kits were g5 macs
>>
>>57172232
>It is for adults who don't carry backpacks
Just fuck off
>>
>>57171247
IT'S STILL ARM YOU RETARD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra#Tegra_X2

Literary PS3 games on a portable device.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.