[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The OS you got excited for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: Windows_7.png (130KB, 480x360px)
Windows_7.png
130KB, 480x360px
What was it anons? The OS that you were excited to see be released? A certain version of windows or os x? An upcoming Linux distro?

For me it was windows 7. That jump from XP to 7 was amazing if you skipped vista. I remember getting all excited over something as silly as windows aero since I skipped vista.
>>
>>57170236
7 for me too m8.
>>
File: 9629090.jpg (75KB, 480x272px) Image search: [Google]
9629090.jpg
75KB, 480x272px
First was Vista because "OMG PRETTY UI!!!!" I went so far as to spend a couple hours in Photoshop on Vista beta to make a wallpaper for my PSP that had the glass task bar on the bottom and the start menu orb with the PSP logo on top of a wallpaper I had also made prior to that. It was as perfect as possible and I even made glass panes that lined up with the PSP main menu icons and date/time/battery on the top right of the screen. Windows 7 was just as exciting because of the performance gains and stability.

Pic related, similar design, but not as accurate to Aero.
>>
Grandpa here

win98->winxp
>>
7 was the best launch remember the parties and how we all got free ballmer editions
>>
Qubes. Void is mildly interesting.
>>
openSUSE 12.3. best linux user experience evar.
>>
>>57170236

I actually bought an asus vista laptop in my youth and i fucking loved it it.

Aero was so comfy and it was stable

Obviously win7 was better but i was so comfy i treated it with suspicion....

NOW 10 years after the fact i have no idea how vista got so much hate and win 10 is shilled so hard in the tech press despite botnet. Fucking shit this world is fucked up.

also moved to kubuntu before i jumped to win 7. Still use it as an audio only airgapped daw,
>>
Win 95 to 98, dem cool as fuck install animations, sleek start menu...
>>
For some reason, Ubuntu 15.10. It was the first time upgrading GNU/Linux distibution to me.
>>
File: vista-bliss.jpg (332KB, 1679x1049px) Image search: [Google]
vista-bliss.jpg
332KB, 1679x1049px
>>57170236
I was excited with the release of super-comfy Vista.
Sad but truth, Vista's design is better than 10 in any fucking way.
>>
>>57170946
Me too. Skipped 2000 and millenium.
>>
I have never gotten excited for a new OS. I dragged my feet leaving Win98, because muh gaems and muh bloat. Somewhere in 2003 I broke down and moved... to 2000, not XP, since I didn't like that Playskool shitheap. I moved to XP around 2005 as stuff was starting to drop support for 2000. I stuck with it until 2011. Skipped Vista entirely, no way was I touching that shit with a bargepole. I hated moving to 7, also, it only happened because being stuck on a 32-bit OS was becoming a problem, with increasing VRAM sizes and memory demands. First thing I did on 7 was switch on the Windows Classic theme. And then I set out on weeks of trying to bash the stupid out of the OS. I've done that for every OS I've ever used, really, so I don't look forward to changing OSs.

so nowadays I keep that 7 machine for muh gaems and everything else happens on Debian stable. Which I settled on after trying a half-dozen distros and hating most of them.
>>
>>57170236
Vista was the first OS that I used having my first PC, but didn't use it too much until 7, which is the OS that I used the most and still use it. So, 7 (:
>>
I remember when I was a kid and all of a sudden I saw win95 gone but replaced by XP I was like "Woah!" And it was so awesome.

As I got older, I saw Vista popping out. Father got me a refurbished dell laptop with Vista on it. That shit BSOD so much it was ridiculous.

>be 18
>do internship with some computer services/server hosting company
>they're a microsoft gold partner
>they give me Windows 7 RTM cracked and all
>install it
>ohgodyes.webm

The jump to windows 7 was honestly amazing since vista was shitting about all over the place. Admittedly, Vista's visuals were pretty slick, not sure why they fucked up.
>>
Lel, believe it or not fucking WebOS. To bad it ate shit so early. Actually had potential...
>>
>>57170236
Windows Millennium Edition (Windows ME) to Windows XP, then from XP to Vista, then Vista to Windows 10.

Let's break down my excitement levels:

1) Windows ME --> Windows XP 8^[)

2) Windows XP --> Windows Vista :^()

3) Windows Vista --> Windows 10 ( ˘ 3˘)
>>
>>57170236
I still remember buying my copy of Windows 95 during my summer school holiday (still have the cd but sadly not the box), it's the only time I got legit hyped for a new OS.
>>
>>57170236
Vista.
It was good.
7 was disappointing.
Also 'System Software' -> Mac OS 8
Mac OS 9 -> OS X Tiger
>>
1/from windows me to xp
xp was just impressive compared to me wich looked like shit
2/ windows xp to windows 7
after using for a long time changing to the brighter and comfier and faster 7 was very nice and soothing for my eyes and brain
3/ from windows 10 to kubuntu 16.04
i got sick of windows so going to linux wich was faster and comfier and very different was exciting and fun
>>
>>57170236
7 for now and forever.
>>
>>57170236
I have never been hyped for any OS since Windows 7.
>>
>>57173583
Vista's Media player was better than Window 7's.
>>
Literally only some of the latest Linux distro releases.

The only other time I was close to excited was when I got Windows 95 in 1996, after using 3.1 for two years, and only because my friends had it since release.
>>
Mavericks. I don't even remember why I was so hyped for it but I bought an Intel iMac just to run the dev preview
>>
Vista
>>
File: 1284667219407.jpg (121KB, 396x393px) Image search: [Google]
1284667219407.jpg
121KB, 396x393px
>>57170236
Windows Millenium. I kid you fucking not.
I was a stupid kid and loved fuddling around in the OS and finding broken things to fix. I was raised on DOS.
It was also terribly easy to gain access to anything compared to NT4 or 2000, though that doesn't mean too much.
I stuck with ME until 2005 or so, when XP become more usable.
>>
>>57170236
I wasn't excited for W7 but I loved it the moment I started installing it and 7 years after that.

I was excited for W10 after Microsoft seemed to take user input seriously and it was announced to have other neat features like a package manager method of installing software. Of course that was before the negatives were known and when I got my hands on it in a VM the last of my hopes was completely smashed.

I've used every Windows since 3.1 and am always eager to try newer software so it's hardly baby duck syndrome. RIP Microsoft.
>>
>>57174881
So, you just loved how system broken was?..
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.