[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reasons to use Linux or BSD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: woman-working-on-laptop.jpg (17KB, 350x232px) Image search: [Google]
woman-working-on-laptop.jpg
17KB, 350x232px
>no photoshop
>no ms office
>no AAA games
>shit drivers
>desktops require ricing to look nice
>forced to use command prompt for some basic functionality
>worse performance than windows and osx, mostly because of the drivers
>no support for any "serious" programs like Sony Vegas or Adobe dreamweaver, forcing users to use inferior "free" alternatives

What makes Linux or BSD so special?
What can you do on Linux or BSD that you can't do on windows?
>>
BSD sucks.
>>
>>57169526
>What makes Linux or BSD so special?
Free and stable.
>>
>>57169620
Yeah but there are people who install Linux on their laptop. Which comes with windows preinstalled already.
>>
>>57169630
So? Maybe some of us don't want our OS's spying on us.
>>
>>57169630
They prefer Linux. It is free, so they lose nothing by installing it.

You have a problem with this because...?
>>
>>57169630
You forgot about the "stable"
>>
File: 1476717717355.gif (446KB, 300x186px) Image search: [Google]
1476717717355.gif
446KB, 300x186px
>>57169610
>>
>>57169639
I don't, I'm just curious. Sorry if I came off as offended.

>>57169644
Stable like windows? Which has been very stable on my pc because I don't fuck around with it?

>>57169638
Then use Linux. Then your isp will spy on you, your government, etc.
Privacy is a thing of the past once you acquire an internet connection.
>>
Stable for server use. Insanely customizable for desktop use. If you're a developer and not using linux you are missing out
>>
>>57169526

>no photoshop
>no ms office
I don't do graphic design, and Libre Office is enough for my needs.

>no AAA games
Were I a more serious gamer, I would be using Windows. That said, I have been pleasantly surprised with the number of games on Steam that run on Linux, and this number has only been increasing.

>shit drivers
Depends on what hardware you're using, and what distro you're using.

Not really. Ubuntu looks fairly nice out of the box.

As a developer, I already have to keep a command prompt open most of the time to use any of my tools properly. It's really not an inconvenience. That said, a lot of Linux functionality can be done through a graphical shell these days...

I have not experienced this at all.

>no support for any "serious" programs like Sony Vegas or Adobe dreamweaver, forcing users to use inferior "free" alternatives
Again, people involved in multimedia shit like video editing, graphics design, etc.. should be using Windows. Linux isn't for everybody. Nobody should use Adobe Dreamweaver though. If you're doing front end web development, you just need a good text editor and a web browser.

>What makes Linux or BSD so special?
Package managers that don't suck ass. Software development on Windows is a nightmare. Mac OS X is slightly less shitty in this regard, but still pretty shitty.

>>57169630

My laptop came with Linux installed on it from the start.
>>
>>57169526
A bunch of bait, but whatever.
>convenient development environment
>convenient remote access
>convenient, well documented scripting languages
>convenient customization allowing you to tailor the system to any task
>muh freedom
And so on. For many users, the platform has the "serious" software they need, which is sometimes GPLshit, sometimes not, if you want Photoshop, Vegas and Dreamweaver, use the platforms that support it and stop bitching about the rest, nobody's forcing you to change.

>>57169620
>>57169644
>muh stability
It's not 1995 anymore, DOS and 9x are dead and NT came of age decades ago. It's not always the operating system's fault when developers can't write a driver or application worth a shit and the typical end user can't tell their ass from a hole in the ground. If you crash an NT system in 2016 there's some serious PEBCAK going on 90% of the time.
>>
>>57169526
>no photoshop
True.
>no ms office
LibreOffice. There are zero (0) things wrong with it and it's completely free.
>no AAA games
Good
>shit drivers
Have fun having to install graphics card drivers and ethernet drivers, having to restart your PC to install peripheral drivers and having to wait for drivers to install with each new device. And just hope everything works correctly. Linux has all drivers OOTB on most distributions and they actually work.
They don't, but you actually get the chance to make them look the way you want. "nice" is subjective. This is the same argument people have against Android and I still think it looks much better than iOS, plus it's customizable.
You're not. I haven't used it ever since the day I installed my OS.
Obviously false.
Since when is a "serious" program exclusive to being popular or expensive? There are tons of superior FOSS, much better than paid alternatives. What you perceive as "serious" is only what people advertise, and the number of advertisements don't mean something is more or less serious. Also, WINE.
>>
>>57169526
Special snowflake syndrome. Since they don't have much going in their life as they are unemployed and fap to anime 24/7, they make themselves feel productive by wasting time tediously installing and maintaining a server OS.

Can be labelled as a mental illness.
>>
>>57169741
>Have fun having to install graphics card drivers and ethernet drivers, having to restart your PC to install peripheral drivers and having to wait for drivers to install with each new device. And just hope everything works correctly. Linux has all drivers OOTB on most distributions and they actually work.
Are you a hyperactive child or simply an impatient idiot? Driver installations are trivial and the process takes maybe a half hour at most, even shorter if you keep necessities on you in the rare event you're reinstalling your operating system. This is a terrible counterpoint against using Windows and I wish /g/ would stop propagating it.
>>
>>57169758
>has to install shit and spend hours doing it while Linux distros are fine and come with software you want immediately after the installation
>has to spend over half an hour removing bloat and telemetry
>drivers not working and being shit is a terrible counterpoint
I guess "shit drivers" are also a terrible counterpoint against Linux. Everything will work just fine unless you're a consumerist idiot who buys components the month they're released or fell for the Nvidia meme. I never had a problem with any Linux distro I tried on multiple machines.
And if you're that patient might as well use a proper OS and spend a few hours learning how to use it.
>>
>>57169526
It makes me feel good about my e-penis
>>
>>57169526
Development platform.

>worse performance than windows and osx

lol

>no support for any "serious" programs like Sony Vegas or Adobe dreamweaver, forcing users...

To install wine or crossover.

It's asked 1 billion times already.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.