[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ultimate NAS question thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_7178.jpg (138KB, 755x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7178.jpg
138KB, 755x600px
OK /g/, just spent $1,400 fucking dollars on a dell T20, 32gb ram, and like 24 tb of HDD's. I'm pretty psyched about FreeNAS or something similar, and wanted to just get a feel for what I can expect. Some of the things I think are possible, but others in not sure.

PS I love you guys

NAS server wish list (aka IS IT POSSIBLE?)

1) File Storage
(be able to store massive amounts of files. Personal files, media files, etc)
1a) be able to easily load files to the NAS from local USB drives
1b) be able to easily load files to the NAS from backup DVD's, or rip DVD movies to the NAS and transcode them for local storage
1c) be able to easily load files to the NAS from the local network
1d) be able to easily load files to the NAS from far away (computer in another city, dragging and dropping files to the NAS, for example)
1e) be able to load files to the NAS directly from mobile devices, even backing up the iPhone entirely
1f) be able to access stored files from anywhere in the world, on any device, as if they were locally stored on the device itself.

2) Torrenting
2a) be able to set up transmission and have it running 24/7, with full access to it from any external ip and from any device including mobile
2b) be able to access it locally if needed on the machine itself
2c) have all DL and UL files put into directory that is accessible via the first item "file storage"

3) Virtual Machines
3a) be able to run VM's locally on the machine, with option to switch between VM's at a keystroke
3b) be able to start up a VM from an external IP
3c) be able to access the VM through an external IP and control it as though I was using it right in front of me (ignore lag or any connectivity issues)
3d) be able to allow multiple people from multiple external IP's to do the same thing, and choose whatever VM they want and use it at their will (Joe wants a mac today and Bob wants windows 7)
>>
>>57168501
>just spent $1,400 fucking dollars on a dell T20
Holy fuck you are retarded.
>>
>>57168501
>FreeNAS
just put the Linux of your choice on it. Go get ZFS on Linux (either from their repos or your distro's, plenty of them have it in their "this ain't Stallman-approved" repo nowadays)

and then you don't just have a NAS you have a server with a ton of space on which you can do anything you can do with any other computer. Serve files, torrent, run VMs, SSH in from anywhere, yadda yadda yadda.
>>
I hope you got some fans
My buddy has a T20 pimped out with lots of drives and it overheated. 7 drives only drew about 70w but the little case is a problem.

Do something to assure you don't overheat.
>>
>>57168919
You can do all that on FreeNAS, stupid.
>Running Linux instead of BSD on a server
>Going out of your way to run Linux instead of BSD on a server.
>>
>>57168919

Dont tell a newbie to go run ZFS himself hell end up losing his data. Just install freenas you can put virtuabox in a jail. Though I recommend running everything you can in bare jails.
>>
>>57169008
I have FreeNAS at work, and frankly, it's pretty crap. Sure it has interfaces and shit, but it's pretty weak sauce.

You could use the same box to be your fileserver, router/firewall. application server, virtual server, etc with linux, and run tighter code with more eyes on it.

If it wasn't in my business environment, and costs were already sunk for a single purpose system, I'd scrap it and run linux. As it is, I can't be bothered to dick with it - not worth my time.
>>
File: 704093.jpg (319KB, 875x1000px) Image search: [Google]
704093.jpg
319KB, 875x1000px
>>57168870
I think you should buy this book.
>>
>>57169031
>Sure it has interfaces and shit, but it's pretty weak sauce.
So in other words, you only know how to run a few shell commands in Linux and don't know how to work with real UNIX/BSD.

>You could use the same box to be your fileserver, router/firewall. application server, virtual server, etc with linux
You can do that with FreeBSD/FreeNAS

>run tighter code with more eyes on it.
Are you saying Linux is more secure than BSD? Are you saying that Linux has fewer lines of code than BSD?
>>
>>57169066
What did I miss? You spent 1400 dollars on a T20. That's a shit deal. You could have had a T620, 8x8GB 10600R, and those hard drives for probably under 1k. A T320 for even less.
>>
>>57168501
If it's your first time with FreeBSD and ZFS, then FreeNAS is the best choice to start.
Once you've learned how everything works you'll want to get rid of it and switch to a vanilla FreeBSD.
I'm running 10.3 and I can do everything you mentioned except for the VM part as i don't run any on my BSD box.
A while ago I remember it was also possible to set up your own Firefox authentication/synchronisation server but I've never looked too much into it.
When it comes to accessing data from outside, be aware that NFS and SMB are not the ideal choice, I use a tiny web application with drag-and-drop functionality: the uploaded file is saved in a temporary folder, virus scanned, and then copied in its destination folder based on the file type.
To access files remotely I am using either next cloud or a WebDAV server.
There's lots of scripting involved to get everything automated but IMO it's really worth it.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.