[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I spiced up my resume by saying I know how to use linux. Now

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 3

File: 1475801187810.jpg (12KB, 424x394px) Image search: [Google]
1475801187810.jpg
12KB, 424x394px
I spiced up my resume by saying I know how to use linux. Now an employer wants to meet with me in a week. Could I learn to use it in that time? Should I get ubuntu?
>>
>>57166802
Dumbass
>>
saying that you "know how to use linux" is meaningless. when i read a resume that offers no benchmark for this sort of shit, i assume the worst - that you're maybe able to navigate via the terminal and use a bash shell without googling shit like `ls` and `cd`.

install ubuntu and use it for a bit so you don't look like a deer in the headlights when they ask you to use a CentOS or Debian or Arch machine, but don't expect to be especially competent. then get familiar enough with the shell that you don't embarrass yourself trying to do simple shit.

you can't possibly get proficient in a week, but if the interview is going well then the employer won't use your lackluster competence against you. if it's going poorly, then this'll just be another nail in the coffin, so don't worry about it.
>>
>>57166802
Ofcourse not you idiot.
>>
>interviewed by two people for a job
>sys admin job at a small company
>say I also know Linux
>get laughed at and ridiculed
This happened a couple of years ago. Decided not to take the job and get autismbux instead.
>>
>>57166802
Download debian minimal or something and install it in virtualbox. Once you've done that set up apache, mysql, and php. then spend your remaining time making shell scripts for literally anything.
>>
>>57166802
>Should I get ubuntu?

Yes. Just install it. It's braindead simple. Then read a few intro articles about how to use bash. Presto, you now "know linux".
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>57166906
>Yes. Just install it. It's braindead simple. Then read a few intro articles about how to use bash. Presto, you now "know linux".

Absolutely false.
>>
>>57166802
Install Arch from the CLI, then format and literally Install Gentoo.

you'll end up learning something
>>
>>57166916
Not him but which part is false? Ubuntu is the easiest distro that I know of. Granted he won't actually know a whole lot of Linux shit but it's a start.
>>
Yeah, Linux is easy to learn since it was hijacked by the FreeDesktop.org group. Most of the interfaces are click n' drool like Windows.
>>
Tell them you 'know linux' and that's why you stick to an actually productive OS like Windows 10.
>>
>>57166976
This. Wow 'em with your Photoshop and Office skills.
>>
>>57166929
Everything he said concluding to...
>Presto, you now "know linux".
...is false. The emphasis is on him saying that's all that's needed to 'know Linux.'

Ubuntu is the easiest, but knowing Ubuntu and a few bash commands won't teach what OP tried to pretend he knew about Linux.

I used Ubuntu as an intro in 2006, now I use Arch. Arch taught me more about Linux then Ubuntu did.
>>
>>57167107
>than Ubuntu

fixed
>>
>>57167107
I think he was implying that he would "know" Linux (as in knowing about apt-get and editing bash.bashrc). Not to be confused with having a great knowledge of the actual mechanics of Linux and the mainstream distros.
>>
>>57167170
If that's what OP meant he wouldn't be worrying about telling them that, now would he?

The employers will find his lack of 'knowing Linux' more to be desired. What this shows is more of his personality and character defects more than his level of Linux knowledge. It's about ethics. He lied.
>>
>>57167216
I'm sorry we have a small misunderstanding here. I understand that OP wants to actually learn a good amount of Linux. I was saying that >>57166906 was implying that OP would "know" Linux after installing Ubuntu.

But in all reality OP is fucked.
>>
>>57167107
If it too Arch to learn about Linux then you're pretty mentally slow.
>>
>>57166802
Get the linux pocket guide off of libgen, look up linux journey, and dual boot Fedora.
>>
tfw been ricing so long that I'm pretty good user at linux but too shy to try and get a linux ricing job
>>
>actually know how to use Linux very well
>every place here want someone who's either a Windows or a macOS pro

To answer your question, OP, install Linux From Scratch. If you can manage to do that within a week without having to follow guides, you might be okay.
>>
>>57167286
>linux ricing job
lel
>>
>>57167334
Doesn't there have to be a guy that sets up new softwares and stuff and configure/rice it?
>>
>>57167272
>dat implying
>dat straw man argument
>If it too Arch to learn about Linux then you're pretty mentally slow.

This post shows you never installed Arch and probably can't. You'd know that Arch doesn't 'teach' you about Linux directly, it gives you the environment to 'prove' what you've already learned about Linux.

Treat your senpai with respect, anon-kun. I'm an Arch user afterall.
>>
>>57167351
There are people that set up new machines (I've done it for a few small companies), but they don't rice it.
>>
>>57167286
I hope this is bait.
>>
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

This guy has a free pdf book that's easy to read and understand. You have to install linux first, then do everything he does. You should be able to finish the whole thing within a week if you really grind it out. You won't be an expert by any means, but you should know enough to answer interview questions.
>>
>>57167368
looks like there's an open market, then aye?
>>
>>57167381
No. Companies don't care about the looks. They care about productivity. Some don't even care about that (Looking at you, Blackboard!). As long as the computer/VM doesn't crash during the shift they don't give a fuck.
>>
File: 1458520715339 (1).jpg (105KB, 664x835px) Image search: [Google]
1458520715339 (1).jpg
105KB, 664x835px
>"So what's your experience with Linux, anon?"
>"Install gentoo."
>"YOU ARE HIRED!"
>>
>>57166802
get fired
>>
>>57167381
Long live the pioneers
Rebels and mutineers
Go forth and have no fear
>>
>>57167414
When OP has to prove he 'knows Linux' he will constantly say this phrase, because he won't be able to extract a tar file to a desired destination...

>something happened
>>
>>57167107
Too bad it didn't teach you the difference between than and then
>>
>>57167449
Actually, I corrected my own typo here, you wannabe smartass.
>dumbass

>>57167122
>>
>>57167272
>>57167449
Samefag

>inb4 edited screenshot
>>
>>57166802
yes lmao. Download it and read bash scripting functions and all the gnu coreutils. ezpz
>>
>>57167465
dumbass
>>
>>57166802
Learn how to install gentoo.
>>
>>57167484
You got rekt. Your anus is goatse.
>>
>>57166858
>when they ask you to use a CentOS or Debian or Arch machine
>Arch
Lol
>>
>>57167492
I am not even the guy who you responded to, I am just saying the uncomfortable truth.

>anally annihilated
>>
hahaha sys admins
>>
>>57166802
Tell them Linux is shit and install windows on their PCs.
>>
>>57167528
Why do you morons always pretend to be another person. You newfags do the same shit. Waiting for your edited screenshot. Samefag.
>>
>>57167598
>this damage control

I won't even bother giving you a screenshot, but at least you were not a retard who does not know that the presentation of a website can be changed on the fly. Now you are.
>>
>>57167272
>(You) got rekt here:
>didn't even reply you got so rekt, which also proves you're samefagging & pretending to be 2 anons
>>57167359

>>57167449
>(You) got rekt here:
>>57167465

>>57167484
>>57167528
>>57167637
>(You) are samefagging after getting rekt

Just stop it, you've proven your IQ is low enough. We don't need to know if it can be lower. Newfag.
>>
>>57167680
>this retarded
>>
>>57167637
>>57167698
I know the various ways to edit screenshots you newfag. I'm waiting for you to post your 'proof' as a screenshot. You morons always fuck up your own screenshots. You newfags post screenshots that end up proving you samefagged.

Slimy weaselly faggot.
>>
>>57167680
Here we see the autism/retardation of arch babby's
>>
>>57167719
>this retarded
>not even worth posting a laughing image
>>
>>57167727
>>57167730
Samefag.
>>
>>57166916
"knowing linux" is a vague as fuck. If you can install the OS, make your way around a few menus, and use bash to edit a config file here and there then you know Linux as well as the average Windows user knows Windows.
>>
File: 1475348384053.png (5KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
1475348384053.png
5KB, 205x246px
>tfw too intelligent to use linux
>>
>I spiced up my resume
>I blatantly lied on my resume how do I undo this
Fuck you
>>
>>57167737
The point is what is the employer expecting you to know when you say you 'know Linux.'
>>
>>57167736
>several people are disagreeing with me
>they must be samefaqs!1!!

>this retarded
>not enough hands to facepalm
>>
get a bash cheat sheet and fuck around with it
luckily the employer will know even less than you
>>
Help, I applied to a start up accidentally and they contacted me the next day. I don't like responsibility REEEE
>>
>>57166858
>arch
You don't know how the world works, do you?
>>
Unless you qualify that with something else, saying you know Linux just means you won't get lost in a cli environment.
>>
>>57166802
just read the linux bible

linux is simple shit its on library genesis
>>
http://libgen.io/search.php?req=linux+bible&lg_topic=libgen&open=0&view=simple&res=25&phrase=1&column=def
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.