[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Certifications

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9

I'm looking to get certified for some standard certs that my job offers I can take. Obviously, the first one I would take is the A+ 901/902 series. I've studied the 901 course on CBTNuggets, as my employer gives me access to it. Has anyone else taken this test, and if so, what are the questions like? Are they like the ones on the CompTIA website, or more like, "what is the effective length of 10baseF cabling"

General certification thread
>>
I started with Network+, the questions for that were similar to the book but not the same. There's a small simulation. I don't remember many questions about certain specifications but you should know the differences
>>
>>57166726
>comptia certs
nothing makes me trash a resume faster
>>
File: 1471631516565-0.gif (1MB, 233x291px) Image search: [Google]
1471631516565-0.gif
1MB, 233x291px
>>57166797
>I-I'm not a NEET guys, I s-swear
>I wouldn't hire you, you baka

I highly doubt that you hire anyone than your mom to put your tendies in the oven. If my employer is paying for it, why the fuck wouldn't I get it?
>>
>>57166726
Do you already have an IT background, specifically helpdesk/tech support? If you do, skip the A+ all together. It's no longer necessary for you.

If you don't have any of that experience, I suggest the following (for a general sysadmin role, in your future)

Year 1
A+
Network+
Security+

Year 2
CCNA
AWS cert (super easy and very useful)
MSCA 2016

Year 3
VMWare certs
SCCM/VMM certs (hyper-v)

Depending on how good you are, in IT, you may want to do your year 3 certs in year 2. The MCSA is a boon for making dosh, but VMWare and SCCM certs will cream HRs panties because they a) they won't have to pay for you to get them and 2) because it shows you're not ignorant of the more nuanced parts of virtualization
>>
>>57166847
If you want to get into database administration, the SQL MCSA isn't that hard, if you study hard and get acclimated to management studio.

The Oracle 12c tests are kind of hard, but only if you're CMD and manual config shy.
>>
File: 1473042883103.jpg (57KB, 564x854px) Image search: [Google]
1473042883103.jpg
57KB, 564x854px
>>57166847
I'm in in month 4 of my first helpdesk job. We're a managed IT company, so I do a lot of remote support for a lot of clients (I think we manage around 5k workstations/servers), so it's busy and I get a lot of front line experience.
>>
>>57166797
Oh? DoD 8570 compliance isn't your thing?
Or are you one of those EC Council shills? (MUH CEH)
>>
>>57166935
Do some self-introspection. Do you suck at your job, or are you pretty good at what you do?

What issues do you fix, day to day?

Either way, skip A+.
>>
>>5716700

I don't suck at my job, but I definitely have a lot more to learn, and grow. Skipping isn't an option, as it is something that my employer would like me to have.
>>
File: fc,550x550,black.jpg (60KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
fc,550x550,black.jpg
60KB, 550x550px
>>57167006
Day to day issues include: password resets, setting up email forwarding (exchange and active directory stuff), VOIP phone configs, server issues and RDS accessibility, VPN configs, mobile device configuration. Stuff that is out of my scope is server patching and updates, site to site VPN configurations, firewall setup, mx record stuff, DNS issues, etc.
>>
I earned my A+ certification when I was 19 and my dad was pushing me to earn some kind of degree. I don't really remember the types of questions other than them being general basic things. I was stoned and playing WoW most of the time and already knew most of the content, so just waiting to fill out a test every week was the biggest part for me. That was annoying, could have earned it in 1 day if they didn't make me wait for tests.
>>
Got my OSCP a few months ago. very difficult but very rewarding
>>
>>57167316
Is yours still current? I know that they have a 3-year period now
>>
>>57167578
Oh, it would've expired in 2012 then. Never found a job to use it for anyway, I went into manufacturing engineering.
>>
>>57167083
Sounds more interesting than bomgaring into half a dozen computers a day because someone doesn't know how to clear stuck print job.
>>
File: 1469846843727.jpg (33KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1469846843727.jpg
33KB, 500x667px
>>57167877
Trust me, that still happens, but we have a lot more variety due to the sheer number of clients we support. I definitely don't mind it, as it is the first steps of my career in IT and I relish each moment.
>>
>>57167914
We have a fairly small IT department to support over a hundred different sites so I pretty much do everything besides server stuff too. I've been helpdesk for over a year and wanting to move up sometime. I guess I should skip A+? My brother has a .edu account so at least I can get a discount for comptia stuff.
>>
>>57166726
It's much easier than you might think. Don't skimp on the Windows command line for the 902 and you'll be just fine.
>>
>>57166847
>2 years helpdesk monkey
>Negates A+ Cert

How does resetting passwords and installing printers make an A+ cert not a viable choice?
>>
>>57167083
What you making for that, like 40k?
>>
File: 1470594739266.png (150KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
1470594739266.png
150KB, 360x360px
>>57168635

About $35k including bonuses, when they factor things in like health insurance and stuff, it's probably closer to $38k. I just started though, so I only expect to see that go up
>>
File: 1475456176849.jpg (40KB, 597x652px) Image search: [Google]
1475456176849.jpg
40KB, 597x652px
I GOT A+

Come see me comp /g/ stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5PUfQ3XygY
>>
>>57168635
Also, I might add that I had no "formal" experience in the IT world, I got in via sheer luck and personality. I'd like to show my employer that I'm worth the investment, and also want to better myself in IT as a whole.

One day I see myself being a network or sysadmin for a larger company, singly focused on that company instead of managing many other ones. We'll see where life takes me though
>>
>>57168884
>tfw I'm lucky to get $15/hr doing helpdesk
This town fucking sucks
>>
>>57168985
Broken down, I make about $16, so that's in the same ballpark. Not too bad for helpdesk mang
>>
So what /g/ related careers should I look into for the us Air Force?
>>
>>57166847
>Year 1
>A+
>Network+
>Security+
Are the CompTIA books the best way to learn the material or are there better alternatives? A+ seems simple enough, but I'd like some good books for the other two.
>>
>>57169153
Professor Messer is a god send. Just spend a day watching all of his videos and take notes on every single thing you didn't already know. Spend the next day reviewing those notes. Take his online tests, and study more. You'll ace it.
>>
>>57169226
Checking out his videos now. Looks like some good stuff. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>5716684
Skip A+ and definitely skip net+. Net+ is the worst idea particularly because $20 more is a CCNA which is actually respectable relative to the joke of comptia
>>
>>57169296
Most jobs require A+ as a minimum. Everyone pursuing a degree in IT should have it, no matter how worthless it is. Net+, not really needed, if you want to do anything cyber security related, you'll need security+ indefinitely
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.