[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which do you plug in first?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1824.jpg (48KB, 1000x772px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1824.jpg
48KB, 1000x772px
Data or power?
>>
>>57162206
Both at the same time, but you have to be quick.
>>
power first in and last out
>>
USB only since it's all that's required for my portable hard disk.
>>
>>57162402
good for you, friendo :^)
3.5" drives also exist, who would have known?

what pisses me off though is those older 2.5" usb 2 shit drives that need extra power to work
>>
>>57162480
Lots of drives still do.
>>
>>57162480
>>57162635
Yeah and it's super fucking annoying. I wanted to set up a small Pi torrent box but NOOOOOO you need a fucking powered hub that takes up 42.7833 square feet
>>
>>57162735
don't use a pi for torrenting, you dumb piece of shit
it's too slow
it can't even fucking achieve the advertised 100mbps because the lan chip is on a fucking usb hub
jesus christ, raspberry pi morons really are fucking retards

the pi is a scam, broadcom is not open source
>>
>>57162735
I'm a video editor and most of my drives require wall power. It's anecdotal but they seem faster than their bus powered equivalents using the same connection type. May be placebo but it seems possible anyway
>>
>>57163199
Big fucking deal, it's going to be seeding 95% of the time, and the internet I'll be seeding on is literally 3MBps
>>
>>57163229
mechanical drives are all slow. usb 3 won't be a bottleneck
i have some hgst 2.5" 7200rpm drives and they do 140MB/sec sequential over a single cable
i'm sure you won't feel the difference between this and whatever 3.5" drive you might have
>>
>>57163729
>video editor
>not using a classic Mac Pro

No usb3 for me. I use fw 800 with most externals, and usb2 when I must.

Fortunately, my current projects are all on a raid5 connected through pci.
>>
>>57163835
in that case, you DEFINITELY won't feel the difference between any hard drive. enjoy your max 30-40MB/sec, best case
>>
>>57163945
T-thanks.

Actually, the pci RAID speeds are bretty gud, even compared to modern tech. If I wanted, I could put in an eSata pci card and benefit from that as well.

Sometimes I need to acces projects from years ago that are on old drives. those are what I use legacy connectors for.

It sucks but sometimes I have to edit off of fw800. But yeah, you never want to edit hd video off USB 2.
>>
>>57164106
>trying to recover 500GB of data from a 1TB drive with a few bad sectors over the usb2 enclosure the guy had
>200 hours estimate
break that shit apart, take the drive out and hook it up to sata directly
>6 hours

fucking usb, fucking sectors, fucking filesystems, fucking bad sectors
>>
>>57162206

Power, then data.
>>
>>57164429
I agree, especially with mother fucking hfs+

As time permits I've been breaking the old USB drives out of their cases. I have a dock with fw 800 that's at least an improvement. But some of the really shit consumer ones are physically connected to the usb2 interface, the only way to get sata is to buy and install a new circuit board. F that lol
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.