[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gaming on Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

File: D'ren.png (187KB, 310x400px) Image search: [Google]
D'ren.png
187KB, 310x400px
So is gaming ever going to be a thing on Linux or should I just return to windows? I installed Ubuntu over a year ago because /g/ told me things will get better, but so far there's been 0 improvements on this front.
>>
>>57158263
It is getting better, now that there is SteamOS. It will never be as good as Windows though, until marketshare improves dramatically.

Look at OSX: Several times bigger than Linux, but still tiny when compared to Windows. For games, I see roughly 3 times more games for Windows than for OSX on Steam.
>>
>>57158263
Why not just grow up and stop playing video games?
>>
>>57158505
I like playing games. Why don't you stop playing "mature" and realize that things ain't so black and white , grandpa
>>
>>57158263
apt-get install steam, fgt.
>>
Dualboot.
Wanna play games? Boot into winshit.
Wanna do work? Use Ubuntu.

You could also look into KVM Passthrough. Look it up.

Have fun!
>>
>>57158653
>Wanna do work? Use Ubuntu.

Holy shit are you being actually serious here? Windows blows Linux out of the water in terms of productivity.
See
Photoshop- Gimp (Get it? It's called Gimp because it's a gimped photoshop)
Openoffice - Word
etc.
>>
>>57158706
It's a matter of prefence i suppose. In my opinion terminal wizadry /keyboard shortcuts can be much faster than Windows navigation. I can also work 50x faster in libreoffice than i can in MS Office.

I also use GIMP a lot. I once tried Photoshop and found the interface hectic.
>>
>>57158706
Etc means "these 2 examples are all that exist"?
>>
>install debian on surface
>put gpu in server and pass it through to a vm
>steam in home streaming
>play games on surface in bed for maximum comfy
feels good man
>>
>>57158263
Most things run fine in wine. Pretty much anything that uses OpenGL works perfectly, and even some older DirectX games as well.

If it doesn't have a Linux version or doesn't run through wine, then either figure out how to do GPU passthrough in a virtual machine, or go full compromise and dual-boot.
>>
>>57158263
use a vm with gpu passthrough or use steam's in-house streaming
>>
>>57158805
this

Any 2016 dev should be ashamed for not compiling a linux version, and if there is none, the devs are probably idiots who aren't aware of the current situation and the game is shit.
>>
>not snorting the win blow and smoking the ublunt at the same time
>>
>>57158653
This. With KDE&SSD it takes 15 sec to reboot.
>>
>>57158706
This. GIMP seems like it was designed by a blind child
>>
>>57158263
There are tons and tons of free software video games available for GNU/Linux. No, the graphics are probably not going to be as good as the latest console games. However once you stop watching advertisements and change your expectations, this will stop being an issue.

>>57158623
Just because you "like" something doesn't mean it's good for you. Sometimes you need to give up on things that will affect you negatively, and wasting a lot of time playing proprietary DRMed games is very likely to do that.

>>57158706
>Windows
>Photoshop
>MS Office
>blow anything out of the water in terms of productivity

No. All of these are proprietary software which means they are anti-productivity. Their true purpose is to restrict you and to lock you in, not to help you get anything done.
>>
>>57158739
Did you try making a circle yet?
>>
File: 1476123176238.jpg (48KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1476123176238.jpg
48KB, 640x480px
>>57158706
>Photoshop
You use this shit for what? For adding text to pictures and making memes?
>Word
You can open and edit files in Openoffice
Meanwhile in windows you still can't open file with spacebar, no virtual desktops, no tabs in explorer, no lazy copy/paste. You call this "muh productivy"?
>>57158263
> I installed Ubuntu over a year ago
I installed Ubuntu over six ago and only good games was braid, world of goo and doukutsu monogatari. Now you have serious sam, boringlands 2, portal, saints row and many others AAA gaems so stop bitching.
>>
>>57159205
It's an editing application, not a drawing application. I use Krita when i need to draw circles.
>>
>>57159205
Actually you can.
>>
They still make games for PC?
>>
>>57158639

> $ port info steam
> Error: Port steam not found

No mac version. Pity.
>>
>>57159134

PSPP no worky on my Mac.
http://sendvid.com/bvkv91qf

So I use a "discounted" version of SPSS. (I teach statistics)

Linux is buggier than a Singapore hooker.
>>
>>57159219
Linux cavemen's mind is this limited, they don't even know what a normal person can produce with proper software.

Probably this is the reason linux applications aren't improving outside of server purposes.
>>
>>57159376

Can't they hurry the OpenGL shit up? Time is money.

Any alternatives to Krita?
>>
>>57159555
Inkscape, Skencil.
>>
>>57159520
I've honestly had more problems with Windows than Ubuntu, and I can almost always fix the ones on Ubuntu myself.
>>
>>57158623
>Just because you "like" something doesn't mean it's good for you. Sometimes you need to give up on things that will affect you negatively, and wasting a lot of time playing proprietary DRMed games is very likely to do that.
Says the /g/ poster
>>
>>57159134
I'm a huge Linuxfag but Photoshop blows any alternative out of the water
>>
File: ezpz.webm (504KB, 1365x733px) Image search: [Google]
ezpz.webm
504KB, 1365x733px
>>57159205
>>
File: 1474561439527.jpg (319KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1474561439527.jpg
319KB, 2048x2048px
>tfw games play fine but mouse goes to shit on GNU/Linux
>>
>>57159134
>Autocad MEP
>Using any CAD software on shitlux
wew laddy
>>
>>57158623
Playing games is immature, get over it manchild.
>>
>there is no distro that in a retard friendly way integrates native linux environment with windows applications running in minimal, tailored Windows VMs
I'm surprised that no one even attempted something like this. It's probably not illegal as long as it's the user that provides the Windows installation media.

Tell me why this is a bad idea, /g/.
>>
>>57159539
You see? Linux is for simple people. You still don't answer question for what task you use photoshop.
>>57160471
You don't need specific distro, just install playonlinux.
>>
>>57160887
PlayOnLinux is just a convenient GUI for Wine. It doesn't even come close to Windows VM in terms of compatibility.
>>
>>57159555
mypaint
>>
Developers who are starting projects from scratch right now are using vulkan. Games that come out in the future will thus be on Windows, Linux, and consoles because everything will use vulkan (except mac bc apple chooses not to)

There are already a ton of games ported to Linux and future ones will be day one releases.

Use Linux if you want a free, secure os that doesn't spy on you. Use Windows if you boughtt your computer from best buy and don't want to install a different os
>>
Go to /t/ and type in Linux
Oh fuck it, here

>>>/t/707928
>>
>>57158505
What are you supposed to do instead when you stop playing games?
I always ask this and never get an answer
>>
>>57161862

Install Linux so you can create your own problems and solve them.
>>
>>57158505
I bet you think you're a real winner
>>
>>57161878
Meh, already did that years ago
>>
>>57158263
>Template thread
Do you even program? Guess not since you can't figure out what to do with Ubuntu.
>>
>>57158263
I play Dwarf Fortress and Paradox games so it works for me :)
>>
>>57161862
go outside or read a book
>>
>>57160113
It's even more immature to not accept that people have different tastes, adult.
>>
>>57161968
whiner*
>>
File: what-is-wine.png (1KB, 284x130px) Image search: [Google]
what-is-wine.png
1KB, 284x130px
>>57158263
are you a shitposter or just retarded? arcanum has a platinum rating on wine, i bought it on gog and played it on my slackware machine, this is a partial list of things i have on there now.
>>
>>57159681
That is an ellipse
>>
>>57160113
>>57158505
Because posting magical egyptian frogs in a thailandese throat singing forum is a far more productive and mature hobby.
>>
>>57158263

Are you morally opposed to dual booting or something?
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.