[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which components do I choose to make a sentry turret?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: Turretportal.jpg (88KB, 459x787px) Image search: [Google]
Turretportal.jpg
88KB, 459x787px
Whats up /g/, I have this concern. I want to build a Sentry Turret, the one from the famous game series Portal. I just dont know the sensors I need to take, or which microcontroller to use. Can you give me a hand? If we can skip any Arduino related thing, better, and I dont care about the costs, I just want to know the ingredients to build one of these.
>>
File: HCS1.jpg (19KB, 487x347px) Image search: [Google]
HCS1.jpg
19KB, 487x347px
>>57157891

wait u want an actual sentry turret? with bullets and everything?????

why?????
>>
>>57157916
yes

to protect my home
>>
>>57157916
not necesary real guns, but some kind of airsoft guns (maybe in a future I put real guns, that would be funny)
>>
File: PICT0001.jpg (2MB, 3968x2976px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0001.jpg
2MB, 3968x2976px
>>57157891
>>
File: PICT0002.jpg (2MB, 3968x2976px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0002.jpg
2MB, 3968x2976px
>>57157971
>>
A portal style sentry gun would be really retarded to have. It would shoot anything that moves in front of it
>>
>>57157971
not exactly what I am looking for... If we can inquire into whats inside this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvZhRUsKNG4

also the software used
>>
>>57158049
I have seen people build pretty impressive motion tracking turrets out of these cheap USB launchers and webcams, only problem is getting the motion tracking accurate enough.

Not sure if it is possible to scale it up from there to the scale you need.
>>
>>57157891
Might be better of going to /diy/ for this btw.
>>57158025
>It would shoot anything that moves in front of it
You say that like it's a bad thing.
>>
>>57157891
You'll need to know how many inputs you need to manage and how many output you'll need to manage. Inputs being feedback switches, positional data from rotary encoders or variable resistors, data from range sensors or other serial connected modules, light sensors, anything that will need to send data to the microcontroller. outputs of course, just the opposite.

You'll need an air compressor and a airsoft/some other type of airgun for the weapon, plus it's support hardware. If you want to scale to real weapons, you'll need some serious hardware to handle recoil. You'll also need a place to live where there are no extradition agreements to your home country and quick transport, so when the alphabet soup comes visiting because your turret just gunned down 4 schoolkids, you have an out.

You'll need to work out power sources and how long you'll want them to last. How will it charge?

How will it detect targets? IR? LIDAR? How will it determine if the target is a threat?

Once you have an idea on all of this, you can start looking for a microcontroller that matches your I/O requirements, and that can provide any other signals you may needs, like PWM for servos for example. Then you need to code it up.

Sounds within grasp?
>>
>>57158158
I also created a thread there, but I thought here you would have more knowledge of tracking sensors and all that stuff
>>
>>57158179
sounds great, it is not like I am going to kill anyone with it
>>
>>57157891
ask /diy/
>>
Mods please remove this thread this isnt /g/ material
>>
>>57158944
>/g/
>Only consumerism, nvidia shills vs intel shills poop flinging contests or validate me, senpai-threads allowed
>>
>>57157891
Depends on what kind of turret you want.

Lethal or non lethal.

Visual Sensors or Radar.

There are alot of variables.
>>
in the game it has at least a laser range finder (visible laser), something that detect it is being moved (simple 3-axis accelerometer will do) and the main detecting sensor (unknown what exactly, likely just optical camera)
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.