[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how to clean a pc correctly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: awdawd.jpg (22KB, 300x215px) Image search: [Google]
awdawd.jpg
22KB, 300x215px
Hey /g/,

How're you guys deal with slow (& old) computers to get them running properly again?

- remove junk files
- check for malware
- search autostart for unnecessary items
- uninstall programs because they're obviously shit (XY Toolbar etc.) or not needed anymore
- using cleaning tools like ccleaner or something else (also for junk, cleaning registry and so on..)

these are the things that come to my mind when it comes to "make the computer 'fast' again".

Would appreciate some pro-tips from you. If some of the things I listed above are absolutely crap, pls tell me.
>>
>>57157319
Backup User folder (if XP and upwards) and format.
Seriously fuck """cleaning"""
>>
>>57157331
Also an option. But in a running business u cant just walk up to the co worker and say "well, we need to format your hd and install a new windows. See you in 3 hours." Or is that only a problem in our company?
>>
>>57157331
this. if you have a storage HDD, which you should, you shouldn't take a hit at all from formatting your SSD.
>>
>>57157357
thats a point.

in my case, there are lots of clients which have just one hard drive, maybe 2 or 3 with a 'system ssd' and a storage hdd.

i know that this isnt the best situation, but i have to deal with it.
>>
>>57157346
Well yeah I guess it depends.

Personally I don't work for a company, I fix computers on my own and that's just what I do.

Hell, it's probably even quicker than running a MBAM scan and a CCleaner pass, not to mention having to go through the registry or folders to find possible culprits.
>>
>>57157319
Reinstalling is a good option. Since windows usually builds up gunk through updates, older computers can't handle them an I normally install xubuntu on them. Computer gains a massive speedboost through it.
>>
A clean install of Xubuntu will solve all your problems
>>
o&o defrag helped me
>>
>>57157374
And also this. Normally when I see an "old" machine I recommend installing a Linux distro, which most clients accept since all they do anyways is check facebook and use their computers as a dumpster for their mobile phones/cameras.
>>
>>57157383
>>57157374
Thanks for the tip with xubuntu, but i cant say "well, were changing our whole IT and operating system because its faster." to my boss.
>>
>>57157397
I dont talk about normal users. I talk about clients computers in an office environment.
>>
>>57157404
>>57157410
Yeah well, that's a different case.

But anyways, I can guarantee that doing a backup and a fresh install of Windows is faster than going through the pain of cleaning a system full of junk.
>>
>>57157427
Thats absolutely correct, but how i mentioned above: Not every co worker think its funny to hold them back from working for a couple hours to make their pc "fast again" by reinstalling the OS.

i think the "real pain of cleaning" is, that in a couple of weeks/months the same shit comes again because the co worker just gives a shit about my tips and just work like the last 15 years. Thats a real problem in an office, where 70% of the staff works here for couple decades and wont change their "workflows". its depressing.
>>
>>57157463
What sort of software do these computers use for work? Trying out a testcase with someone competent enough and see if xubuntu could work. Also telling them to buy a new fucking computer might be best for your situation
>>
>>57157319
What is the MIME type for a "junk" file?
>>
>>57157319
Without reinstalling: mbam scan, ccleaner, win defrag, defraggler free space, defraggler drive. If you can afford it or don't mind a one time trial use, Perfect Disk. Seriously, one of the best drive utilities I've used. I use it once after reinstall, update and after I have the system back to how I want it. Also good for merging/splitting partitions.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.