[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wallet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

File: RFID.jpg (20KB, 640x250px) Image search: [Google]
RFID.jpg
20KB, 640x250px
Are RFID blocking wallets a meme or do they actually work?
>>
your rfid aint gonna do shit when i snatch that shit from your pocket nigga
>>
>>57152746
This.
>>
>>57152668
they work in the sense that they block RFID signals, and stopo people from reading any RFID devices kept in your wallet
They don't work in that that's not a threat most people need to defend against
>>
meme.

just feeding on your paranoia
>>
>>57152668

depends on the naterials used, do you even know how rfid works?

come back when youre mentally 18+
>>
they are like the modern equivalent of those cell phone radiation blockers.
>>
>>57152768
In what cases would you need to defend your RFID signals?
>>
>>57152834
Swiping credit card information off of cards with an RFID chip. Of course, they would still need your pin, but they'd be able to get your credit card number nonetheless.
>>
is RFID even a standard feature for payment cards in the North American continent? I thought the whole point of the chip was to get rid of the security problems of contactless payment
>>
>>57153827
It is becoming standard here yes. People don't really use it though. Thinking about this I don't think I have ever seen anyone use one before.
>>
a copper mesh imbedded into leather obviously works. Its still a meme since you can tell when you're getting swiped, unless you carry your wallet in your back pocket like a careless rich fag.
>>
>>57153930
same here. Almost never seen anyone use contactless payment here, in a major US city. I thought the recent chip implementation in the US was to not have insecure tech like RFID

I don't see a reason for RFID to be pushed with the chip rollout since it's simply more secure by design.
>>
>>57154000
actually chip cards aren't secure at all in the US, since they went with chip-and-signature and not chip-and-pin.

chip-and-pin reduces fraud since if I steal your wallet I don't know your pin, so I can't use your card. with chip-and-signature I can just go to best buy, buy a TV, and scrawl something that looks vaguely like the signature on your card on the receipt. I've never once seen a cashier compare signatures, and even if one did, it's not hard to get close enough to fool a minimum-wage retail clerk.
>>
>>57153827
They're used basically everywhere in my city in Canada.

Also, ya the RFID blockers do work as advertised, but as said before someone could still just steal your wallet/card and use it that way. If you're really worried you could put some tinfoil in your wallet and it will do the same thing, or get an RFID blocking sleeve and put your card in that
>>
>>57154028
I have to put my pin in every time with chip
>>
>>57154049
I think some debit cards are like that. Credit cards aren't.
>>
>>57154062
They are in Canada
>>
>>57154028
>actually chip cards aren't secure at all in the US, since they went with chip-and-signature and not chip-and-pin.
they're still relatively secure compared to RFID as you would still need to acquire the physical card for a physical purchase. I'm pretty sure RFID doesn't require PIN as it would defeat the purpose of "muh 5 seconds saved"

Ofcourse you're correct about Chip and Sign not being as secure as chip and pin
>>
>>57154070
the checkout standards are so fucking stupid

it's as if the credit card companies in America want to make it as mindlessly easy as possible to sue a credit card because they would make more money from increased use. It seems fraud is cheap to mitigate for them
>>
>>57152746
jamal pls stop
>>
>>57154109
Ya I dont really get it, although I've noticed from my short time in the US (played sports there for a bit), way more people use debit cards for everyday purchases here, where in the states most people seemed to not even have bank accounts for some reason. Yet everyone had like a million credit cards (where here most people only have 1 or 2)
>>
>>57153045
They would likely need CVV in charges of over a certain amount. Online purchases are a vector of fraud, and purchases made to or from overseas merchants are often declined.

RFID is a problem if you have a phone or a wave payment card. Most people don't.
>>
>>57153930
RFID was popular for a time, but Chase has been cutting down on its use because of poor adoption rate. Contactless is mostly reserved for transit payments and megabusiness (McDonalds, CVS, Walgreens) due to high fees. Most cards have RFID or the chip, not both.
>>
>>57154200
Smart Burgers use credit since if you pay it off in full at the end of the month, not only do they not charge you for the loan, they pay you, in the form of rewards points.
Dumb Burgers use credit because they want to spend money they don't have, and wind up paying 25.99% interest on a big credit card balance. But they overlook it because they can just make a minimum payment.

The Dumb Burgers pay for the rewards for the Smart Burgers. See Also: Free checking accounts at banks. They're free if you don't overdraw your account and incur fees.
>>
>>57154209
>RFID is a problem if you have a phone or a wave payment card.

Where the fuck do you live?

Everyone here has a wave payment card, both credit cards AND debit cards.

Who the fuck doesn't have a phone?
>>
RFID wallets do not work. Period. I used to have an infographic on it, but I don't remember what I saved it as.
>>
>>57154276
The /biz/ threads about credit cards are really quite informing. There is an infograph there about the different types and what the best ones are but I don't have it. I think chase sapphire was one of the best.
>>
>>57154200
like >>57154276 said, everyone has reason for credit use

Many just dump everything on credit because they make like 400USD a month yet still want the latest ishit fashion accessory or need to buy macaroni and cheese to feed their family of 45

This is why the credit card industry is so powerful in the states
>>
>>57152668
>not just putting aluminum sheets in normal wallet
>>
>>57152668
>having RFID in the first place
it's your funeral
>>
>>57155794
>Not dressing in aluminum
>>
>>57155994
>not lining your coat in aluminium for shoplifting purposes
>>
>>57152834
The only real threat is this: https://www.bishopfox.com/resources/tools/rfid-hacking/attack-tools/

combined with a firm understanding of EMV chip card/track data.

No real threat unless you live/work in an extremely high population area like a stadium or a shopping mall. Even then minimal.
>>
>>57156241
Not lining your hat with... oh, never mind.
>>
>>57152668
I mean, there are literally no downsides to using one, so you may as well.
>>
>>57152746
give it back, tyrell.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.