[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are you ready to be a self-taught programmer /g/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: howto.jpg (615KB, 2200x1463px) Image search: [Google]
howto.jpg
615KB, 2200x1463px
Here we will compile a list of things newfa/g/s should do in order to become good software developers. I'll start with a non-exhaustive list. Feel free to edit or add more content and place it appropriately in the list. We will be using chronological order.

>sell your gaymen laptop, gaymen desktop, or macbook
>purchase a used thinkpad, preferably T420 or older
>install Gentoo linux and familiarize yourself with the command line
>install vim and familiarize yourself with hotkeys
>purchase several books from this list (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/562303/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list) and learn C
>purchase several books from this list (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list) and learn C++
>>
>C
>C++
Rust
>>
>>57150851
you're gay
>>
>>57150783
>purchase several books
stopped reading there
>>
>>57150783
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnWhqhNdYyk

Anon will be triggered.
>>
>sell what you already have to buy a chinkpad
Missing the point. Might as well be a fashion statement. Don't forget your terrorist watch, cargo pants, anime pro T-shirt, Nexus 5 and set your wallpaper to some shit tagged "Questionable" off of danbooru for the ultimate /g/-core
>>
File: 1475379466541.png (737KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1475379466541.png
737KB, 1000x800px
MFW I've done all of these and still have never made a program outside a few small projects.
>>
>this level of autism
Just go on Codecademy or Khan academy. How you learn doesn't matter you neck bearded autist
>>
I'd start on ES as soon as humanly possible.

https://hackernoon.com/how-it-feels-to-learn-javascript-in-2016-d3a717dd577f#.cdv8ctamm
>>
>>57150783
Have fun getting your resume trashed by the automatic filter that searches for degrees.
>>
>>57150783
I'd just buy a macbook and skip all the autism fham. I also advise against C/C++ unless you prefer snobbery to employment. PHP, JS, Java, and Python offer far better employment opportunities to non-degree-holders.
>>
>>57150783
if you have to be spoonfed shit like this you probably don't possess the critical thinking skills necessary to be a programmer and enjoy it
>>
>>57150783
Learn an assembly instruction set and become closer to god.
>>
>>57150783
How to cope with ADHD while being a developer? I literally can't focus for more than 30 minutes on a single task. I get distracted by some unimportant event or just get up and go out for a walk. Should I give up?
>>
>>57150783
Oh boy, where to begin unpacking this shit:
>thinkpad
A literal meme, no redeeming quality. I owned thinkpads new when they were the standard in industry and they sucked then (loud, hot, heavy, in need of constant maintaining, hideous screen) so they definitely suck now. And yes, you faggots we had T series thinkpads from the T40 series on up to T420's when we switched to Dell (another fucking awful manufacturer, but I digress) latitudes.

>gentoo
Another stupid meme, but at least this one has redeeming value. A nice distro but fuck's sake you definitely do not need to be a linux gearhead to write software for a living. Hell most of the guys I work with are barely functional in the terminal. Rule of thumb: If you think you MIGHT need to know something later, learn that shit later. Focus on what you NEED now.

>vim
Again, a good meme, but wholly stupid to learn as a preamble for general programming. Take your lumps learning vim when you need it, such as devops, and not a moment before. Any basic text editor is fine for learning and small projects. Everything I did starting out was in Gedit and Nano. Didn't even used anything else until I was hired and started using the company's toolkit.

>C and C++ books
I don't like to advise anyone on what to learn first or how, but honestly this is so try-hard. You shouldn't even need to BUY a book in the first place. There are fantastic free books on most languages, not to mention tutorials.
>>
>>57152588
C is really good if you want to learn how things work closer to hardware.
>>
>>57152762
You need discipline. If you really want to do this, you have to build a work ethic to tone out noise distracting you.
>>
>>57152762
Get /fit/. I'm not joking. The best way to cure ADHD and autism is a regular exercise routine. Makes you feel better, helps you get a long-road perspective on goals (muh gains), and curtails a lot of other bad habits at once.
>>
>>57152788
Easier said than done, I guess. Do you have ADHD?
>>
a lot of job openings for me require PHP but I'm very weak at it, what is a good approach to learn it? Theres these frameworks that I don't know what differ from each other, so I imagine just knowing the basic PHP wouldn't be enough in todays industry
>>
>>57152799
I have been hitting the gym for 2 years now. Made significant gains, even got a girlfriend, however I am finding it really hard to maintain this routine - gym, work, relationship, studies. I get bored pretty quickly. I start working in a project that at first seems interesting, but then stop halfway because I'm like "yea I know where this is going, moving on."
>>
>>57152781
Yeah it does, but as with everything else: Do you really need to know it NOW? Does the baby programmer NEED to understand pointers? Maybe, I guess it depends on what he wants to start building, but probably not.

I encourage newbies to ask themselves that kind of question any time they think there are hurdles between themselves and their objectives. There are a million things you MIGHT need or WANT to know, and they operate fantastically as excuses as well as tools. By focusing more on what you absolutely NEED rather than what would be nice to know, you get results more quickly and, in failure, identify other NEEDs rather than speculate on them.

I don't go to the opposite extreme of suggesting everyone start with the most simple and abstracted languages, but I think picking the tool NEEDED for the idea the newbie is after is almost always better than chasing after general knowledge. In an industry as broad as software engineering, that's a never-ending quest.
>>
>>57152862
It sounds like you're not setting high enough goals in the dev end desu. I don't know your situation well enough to say that for sure, but I find when I am bored the most is when I have an underwhelming project that is trivial but time consuming. Try stepping up to something that's out of your comfort zone or tackling a project you've already completed with another language or framework to improve functionality or reduce overhead.
>>
>tfw you know you will never be a god tier programmer

Feels bad. Sure I can do some basic shit. But true AI programming? Nope. 3D programming (not using predefined methods like in game dev) Prob not. Assembly, Nope. Device drivers, nope probably not, involves hex programming/register shit. Computer vision, not really. Search engines, not really.

This shit is too advanced. >mfw passed these courses in uni, but as if I'd actually be able to make something meaningful and unique solo.
>>
>>57152921
Thank you good anon. Happy are the ones who get to work with you.
>>
File: MoonMan4evrJewsNever.jpg (6KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
MoonMan4evrJewsNever.jpg
6KB, 480x360px
Bruh, I program on a gaming pc. And you could just install VirtualBox onto your computer so you don't have to remove your old one.

Also for anyone who actually wants to program, don't start with something like C++
>>
>>57153058
We're all gunna make it brah.
>>
>>57150783
>falling for the Gentoo meme
>not using emacs
>purchasing books when all the information about programming is available for free online
>>
>>57152883
Understanding pointers makes it easier to understand things like pass by reference vs pass by value. Most languages in use today, like Java and C#, aren't actual languages, they're just ways to have the computer generate actual code for you. Pretty much everything is built on C under the hood. Knowing HLLs doesn't make you a programmer any more than knowing how to type equations into a pocket calculator does.
>>
>>57153447
Get paid to program and you're a programmer. Shut about how deep and broad you need to be in order to have the title is memes. You start where you need to.
>>
Is the US programmer job market saturated with new grads? It seems like there's a billion money-losing startups out there trying to reinvent the wheel and entry-level job postings require knowledge of 5+ platforms
>>
>>57153056
can you do webdev
>>
>>57152385
>I actually read all that

WEW.

I'm fucking triggered because it was actually accurate.

JSfags are mentally ill.
>>
>>57153821
>Is the US programmer job market saturated with new grads?
Not even remotely.

>It seems like there's a billion money-losing startups out there trying to reinvent the wheel and entry-level job postings require knowledge of 5+ platforms
There's a billion ineffective HR departments who don't know how to hire entry-level.
>>
>>57152385
>Jose Aguinaga
>Web Engineer
>Engineer
>Web
JUST
>>
>>57150783
Better take a course about it, like in Coursera
>>
File: tat.png (10KB, 584x482px) Image search: [Google]
tat.png
10KB, 584x482px
>>57151033

I know this video isn't a defense of C++ but as a video that goes over the characteristic features of C++ it really exemplifies (though I blame this more on the evolution of commodity computer hardware and enterprise software) how much of a zombie language it is and how it still fails to differentiate itself from a C with preprocessor hacks

* objects, templates, and lambdas in a language that still manages memory manually
* the language is inherently not beginner friendly for the reason above
* CS is abstraction/algorithms + hardware interaction: if in your teaching you are not emphasizing hardware interaction with a language like C, asm, or verilog, or emphasizing abstraction and algorithms with something like python or LISP, what the hell is it exactly that you are teaching?
>>
>>57154009
Alright, thanks bud that makes me feel better about my career choice
>>
Is Java worth learning?

I took a couple of classes years ago, but really only remember the basics. I was trying to relearn it, until I saw so many people saying it's shit. Should I just drop it and go with something like Python or C?
>>
>>57154097
I concur. C++ is godawful for anyone who hasn't been properly introduced to all the fundamentals. It really has no business being taught to new programmers unless they're treating it like C, in which case they should be teaching C.

I had already become proficient in half a dozen languages before I came to C++ and it was still a real up-hill slog.
>>
>>57154278
Java is wildly popular and always worth learning.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.