[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily Driving FreeBSD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: Bsd_daemon[1].jpg (26KB, 150x158px) Image search: [Google]
Bsd_daemon[1].jpg
26KB, 150x158px
Is there any reason that I shouldn't/couldn't use FreeBSD as my main OS?
I have no aversion to nonfree drivers.
>>
>>57150641
Because Gentoo offers you the same experience with more software support.
>>
>>57150694
>Gentoo offers you the same experience
how do you live with yourself when you lie like that

BSD systems are rarely compiled from scratch, they come with every binary you need in base
>>
>>57150641
Use OpenIndiana Hipster.
FreeBSD isn't hipster enough.
>>
>>57150827
If I wanted to be a hipster I'd use Haiku, or whatever the current Plan9 derivative is.
>>
>>57150784
so does gentoo
>>
>>57150827
>wanting to get away from GNUshit
>hipster
I guess i'll bear that burden
>>
>>57150938
no, you need to compile stuff like the cron daemon
>>
>>57150827
i wonder who is behind this post?!?!?!
>>
>>57151152
Yet another opensource community?
>>
>>57150949
>wanting to trade GNUshit for BSDshit
Are you a certified expert on shit or just an amateur shit connoisseur?
>>
>>57151279
But if you run OpenIndiana you are running AT&T shit.

OpenSolaris is a descendant of the UNIX System V Release 4 (SVR4) code base developed by Sun and AT&T in the late 1980s. It is the only version of the System V variant of UNIX available as open source.
>>
>>57151301
i thought it was a SVR4/BSD hybrid
>>
>>57151328
SunOS was BSD aka solaris1 retronamed by marketing
Solaris is SysVR4 aka solaris2 by marketing
They they moved all the BSD bins/libs to /usr/ucb/bin to maintain backwards compatibility.
>>
>>57151136
sure but that doesnt need to be in the stage3.
>>
>>57150641
with an editor and a compiler anything is possible within reason
>>
I DD FreeBSD, what do you wanna know, OP?
>>
>>57151366
SunOS was only BSD based up to SunOS 4.1 or so, iirc SunOS 4.2 switched to the SVR4 codebase.

Mind you AT&T Unix had a *lot* of BSD code in it by then, which later led to the infamous lawsuit wherein AT&T claimed the code borrowing had gone the other direction.
>>
File: sysV.jpg (20KB, 420x286px) Image search: [Google]
sysV.jpg
20KB, 420x286px
>>57152131
There isn't any sunos 4.2 it moved to major number 5.x with Solaris2 (ATT SysVR4) they then dropped the 5 in Solaris 7 (SunOS 5.7)

Before SysVR4 BSD and ATT traded code like baseball cards. That was the point of SysVR4 - to make a single UNIX standard. It later became the SUS when ATT sold the code to Novell.
>>
>>57152117
Are there any pitfalls that would make it significantly more daunting than your standard Linux distro?
>>
>>57152262
not him, but avoid the ports system until you know what you're doing

stick with binaries
>>
>>57152262
Lack of support for software and hardware, beyond that its about as usable as anything else that can run X11.
>>
>>57152607
>Lack of support for software and hardware,
If that your bag then run macOS/Windows.
>>
>>57150641
Because OpenBSD's better, unless you for some reason have a Nvidia GPU
>>
>>57150641
just use that if it works for you.
>>
>>57152643
Linux has the most support. Its scope goes from embedded shit all the way up to gaming machines and clusters. Windows isn't anywhere near as versatile and OSX hardware support is non-existent.

BSD was great because it was the best, it hasn't been the best for like 30 years, and development is comparatively dead.
>>
>>57153041
Lets ask OP what hardware he's going to run. I'm sure it doesnt want an OS that runs on his local banks ATM. Plus Windows runs on embedded and on clusters. FreeBSD runs on "GAmin' machines! too. NetBSD runs on everything, literally.

Any software that runs on Linux will run on MacOS the flip-side is not true.
>>
>>57153114
For right now, an ASUS ROG laptop with an i7 6700HQ and a GeForce 960M
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.