[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Blackberry's BB10 phones sold badly, so BB switched to Android

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

Blackberry's BB10 phones sold badly, so BB switched to Android and the new Android phones aren't doing any better (worse in some cases).

What's the problem?
>>
>>57143501
the other 10000 android phones out there.
>>
BB10 had horrible support.
Android ones are selling on the wrong gimmick, also trying to sell with a weak name in the market.
>>
I just want a Passport that runs android. That's all they have to do
>>
>>57143501
poor brand image
the doom and gloom news stories about their death every month for the last few years
normies think they are dead and gone
no one will buy their phones again
this is coming from someone who uses a z10 (which is great btw)
>>
>>57143633
This. Super overpriced phones when they should have been going for the middle market with an optional premium device.

I would take a Priv with BB10 over one with Android though any day. Android is a meme OS.
>>
>>57143630
This so badly
>>
File: f (1).jpg (8KB, 322x157px) Image search: [Google]
f (1).jpg
8KB, 322x157px
bb10 was a great OS
blackberry was just too little too late
they sat on their laurels far too long
should have updated their os when IOS and android started sucking market share

if they hadn't stubbornly held out on making bbm cross platform they would be the whatsapp of today

people only held on to outdated blackberry devices because of bbm. once proper cross platform messaging (whatsapp) came to dominance people left in droves. then blackberry decided to update their OS years later after their market share had haemorrhaged
>>
>>57143696
this tbqfam.
Android will pretty much kill this brand. There should be a 3rd os and I should be BB. I really wish for that slight possibility of them making a tool to somehow convert priv to bb10.
>>
>>57143696
>>57143792
This. Why do all the good OSes have to die? And we're left with the clunky garbage ones that aren't half as powerful or flexible.

RIP WebOS, QNX/BB10.
>>
>>57143898
came out too late
only on a few select devices that were not apple
didn't have a huge rich company backing it
the other option would have been to make it open source and widely distributed like android, but that defeated its security purpose

in all honesty if they had made bb10 when bb was still in its hayday it would be a completely different story now
>>
>>57143501
1. Market penetration. I didn't know Blackberry was still making phones.
2. Apple already took over the niche of corporate phones. Every work phone I've seen recently is an iPhone. Retaking this niche is a hard task (but not impossible)
3. Forget about taking over normie market. They already are busy with their selfie-capturing machines.
>>
>>57143898
Poor marketing or market power. Palm had absolute shit marketing when WebOS was released, and it only got worse. Blackberry has been invisible lately because the Telcos are busy shilling other things. Even in BB's hometown of Waterloo, when I went into the Bell store to try out a Priv back in December 2015, the monkey they had working there instead tried directing me to an S6 or a G4.

>>57143633
Brand image and constantly negative media portrayal also do not help. I remember when I got a Z10 before starting second year undergrad in July 2013, most of my friends laughed and said Blackberry would be dead in a few months. Some actually admired the phone and thought higher of BB10 than Android, but said they were afraid of the company going bankrupt and opted for an S3 instead.

>>57143696
You think BlackBerry phones are overpriced but most of what you are paying goes into the engineering. My Z10 has outlasted all of my friends' Samsungs and LGs, only iPhones seem to last as long. And it has not been treated lightly. Very robust and well built. Problem is, nobody appreciates that when you upgrade once every 2 years, which is why the future belongs to the Chinkphone.
>>
The Priv did well what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>57143501
Zero advertising
Ruined brand image
Pissed off shitload of customers
Stuck up cunts
Probably bad memories of "blackberry girls"
>>
>Blackberry's BB10 phones sold badly, so BB switched to Android and the new Android phones aren't doing any better (worse in some cases).

BB switched to android too late in the game to matter.
BB's market share was equal to a statistical error.

They should have went android long long ago and used their talent to make their own flavor of say samsung knox.

>>57143792
>people only held on to outdated blackberry devices because of bbm
Took them way too long to get BBM on other platforms and by the time they did no one cared and things like whatsapp eclipsed them.
What I feel they should have done is made BBM for other platforms much sooner, both with a free and paid version and then to entice people to use their phones say that BBM premium was free on all BB devices.

it didn't help they had two incompetent CEO's
>>
>>57144280
>didn't help they had two incompetent CEO's

What's funny is that John Chen was originally supposed to be nothing more than an interim replacement for Heins, and he ends up being the guy who fights to save the company.

The whole current mess really started when Balsillie fucked off to buy an NHL team instead of working with Laziridis to counter the nascent iPhone and Android threats.
>>
>>57144402
>Balsillie Laziridis
makes me wonder if they were really that smart or just the lucky to be in the right spot at the right time.
I am thinking the latter
Like mark cuban except there was no yahoo to buy them out at their peak.

>Heins
This just was just as at bad the co-ceos, BB was sinking when he came on board and it still felt like he wasn't doing enough to save the ship
like, lets brand to blackberry now, we no longer rim
let's hire alicia keys too while we are at it
i watched that product launch/whatever the fuck it was, it never felt like the company as fighting for survival instead just resting on their laurels.

>chen
Chen was given shit to work with and I commend him on doing a really good job so far even if he cannot reverse the fortunes of BB
>>
if they made the priv without the slider and just had the keyboard on the bottom, i would buy that shit for a high price. As things stand im probably going to buy the pixel, sorry bb.
>>
Like 3 years ago I bought the ,at that time, latest BB tablet.

It was an excelent product.
>>
>>57144614
i had that tablet too.

That reminds me one of the biggest problems for BB was their lack of apps
they hand quantity (literally one dev had like 30,000 apps) but no quality.
>>
>>57143630
I have a passport
if someone made a way to do this, I would die of happiness
that being said, I love my passport
>>
>>57144715
Can you run whatsapp on it? I am so tempted to get a passport but whatsapp is essential to to me
>>
>>57143501
BB blew it by getting complacent

They're the Kmart of smart phone companies
>>
>>57144888
There's a whatsapp application for blackberry but they're discontinuing support at the end of the year as bbos10 is dead.
>>
>>57144648
> one dev had like 30,000 apps
75% of their app store was just map apps of different towns
>>
>>57144888
>>57144941 is right
but the Passport has an android emulator, so you can run whatsapp on it like that
It's not a big deal. I have Slack and Instagram on my Passport as well.
>>
>>57143501
The people who bought BB10OS devices did it because they didn't run Android and the people who buy Android devices don't know BlackBerry still exists. They seriously need to advertise. I can't tell you how many people have thought I was using some 10yo phone just because it's a BlackBerry.
>>
>>57144498
Laziridis was smart but he had zero business sense. His job was to make good hardware and make sure nobody else had better hardware. Apparently the guy used to sit in his office tearing apart other phones and would usually come to the conclusion that RIM's were there best, except for when he came across the first iPhone. That was when he realized shit had to be done because RIM was "no longer competing with a Nokia", they were "competing with a Mac". Balsillie was the business dude and was supposed to try and get a strategy in place to implement Laziridis's ideas, but he was essentially ignoring the company. Fucking idiot.

I think the main issue is Canadians are shit at managing anything that is not a railroad or a mining company. Remember Nortel? It's a good thing BlackBerry got Chen to actually get shit done. Had he become CEO in 2010 or 2011, then maybe now Blackberry would still be a viable player with 10% market share or more. Too late now.

>>57144533
The phone you described is actually coming in January 2017. Not shitting you.

>>57145534
People think my Priv is some ancient piece of shit and don't realize it's running Android. They just see the Blackberry logo and assume that it's from 2009.
>>
>>57146724
>They just see the Blackberry logo and assume that it's from 2009.
Exactly. I went to show my friend a video one time and the Internet was taking a shit, I told her it just needed to buffer and she said something along the lines of "I'm surprised you can play videos at all on a phone that old"
>>
>>57143501
Remember when BlackBerry's co-CEOs fucked off to side project while Jobs was gunning for smartphone superiority?

One would jet around the continent trying to buy an NHL team while the other built a physics lab to invite Stephen Hawking over and rub dicks with him.

Leadership is retarded.

The culture is fucked.

The company has been damaged too much to recover.
>>
>>57143501

A few reasons. The first is that their first Android phone was the Priv and it was overpriced. Second is brand image. People have bad opinions of blackberry and others don't know they run on Android. They also don't advertise it.

BlackBerry should release mid range high security phones for businesses and mid range to good quality keyboard phones that aren't autistic for a niche market.
>>
>>57143792

this..

BB10 was a great OS, are you kidding me? It was the best I've ever used (Android and iOS didn't even come close functionality and security wise at the time), the problem was apps, nobody wanted to develop apps for a platform with small market share, market share was small because there were no apps basically.

Then they were very slow to update and fix things, i got tired of BlackBerry's incompetence and went iOS, still on iOS two years later.
>>
>>57149206
I used to keep track of stupid shit in their OS and send it to them periodically until I just noticed they weren't interested in making their products less shit, just making them workable.

I just want them to make a good OS with a good phone to go with it without charging three times what a similar phone would cost, WHILE they don't decide shit is good enough and then don't work for five years.
>>
>>57143501
I have reason to suspect that BB's management isn't a group of human beans

There is no way a human being would fuck up a brand for this long. They're either plants, animals, or inanimate objects

This could have been made into the go to enterprise smartphone solution. There market was practically drooling for one back in 2007ish
>>
they're gonna make a come back though men, check these consecutive digits if you need more proof
>>
>>57151919
kek frowns upon you.

BB and Nokia will go down in the history books as completely getting ass blasted by the competition and within ~10 years going from household names to companies on life support.
>>
>>57151474
When you refuse to listen to what people really want and bury your head in the sand yeah this kind of fuck up is possible.

Remember how they had the marketing campaign "tools not toys", yeah that is all nice but what is moving phones at that time were 'toys' aka apps
>>
>>57151996
>"apps"
Those aren't toys. I'm not saying that BB should have made their line into another media consumption device like Apple. There is plenty that a corporation or other organizational body desires out a phone (easy deployment process, corporate friendly OS with built in restrictions on usage etc, security, standard bundled features). If BB could package a corporate solution like this back when the smartphone market was still fresh they would have had no problem staying relevant. Large organizations pay a lot to have consolidated professional solutions instead of trying to convert media consumption devices into work ready phones.

Instead of BB jumping on this niche that they already excelled in they chose to do nothing.
BB could have been dishing out the perfect work oriented smartphone.
>>
>>57151954
i sure hope they do though, i like the physical keyboards
>>
>>57143501
>What's the problem?
>we are le secure fone, buy us for secure messaging
>by the way, the Canadian government has decryption keys that work for every device
I wonder why people don't buy this shit.
>>
>>57152241
debunked and outdated
>>
Best place to buy used blackberry's?
>>
>>57143633
On a Z10 as well. Love the thing.

I will have to upgrade this year and I'm not looking forward to it. There are basically no options.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.