[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, I just installed arch on my laptop. It went pretty smooth.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Hey, I just installed arch on my laptop. It went pretty smooth.

Now call me a hipsterfaggot and throw shit at me all you want, but I want to have my arch without any graphical interfaces. Plain text based, without the need to ever touch my trackpad.

I got told to install i3 and just use terminal apps, but I seem to not get it right, as this is not what I wanted.

I aim for this retro look/feeling, where you only use your console to open programs in another window.

I know it's not practical or anything, but could you still help me?
>>
you have no idea what you want
>without any graphical interfaces.
>where you only use your console to open programs in another window
if theres a window then you've got a window manager
if there's a window manager there's a graphical interface
>>
>>57142823
I'm pretty new to this, so I really have no clue.

Is there any extremely lightweight window manager (i3 should be pretty lightweight, or is this wrong?)

I guess the easiest way to describe what I want is "No desktop environment".
>>
>>57142802
>without the need to ever touch my trackpad.
alt/win + d opens dmenu, allowing you to open any programs you want from the keyboard.
alt/win(+shift) + hjkl|1234... move focus between windows, allow you to rearrange windows and switch between desktops.
Honestly, i3 lets you do everything via keyboard shortcuts, you just need to look it up.
>>
>>57142919
Why not fullscreen terminal on boot you tryhard
>>
>>57143198
I'm not a tryhard. I'm a noob that wants to be tryhard.

Also that's what I do at the moment.

>>57142923
I don't know why, but the shortcuts did not work for me :(
>>
>>57142802
tmux sessions in the CLI might be what you want.
>>
>>57143341
THIS is exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks a lot!

this might be the king of noob-questions, but how do I get completely rid of i3? Everytime I start arch it goes directly into x and loads i3.
>>
>>57143272
so just remove Xorg, reboot and profit
>>
>>57143468
pacman -Rs <package> should remove it completely and all packages that depend on it that aren't required by any other packages, I suggest reading the wiki, it's a good source of information.
>>
>>57143513
I'm at it :)

Thanks for your help, that all I needed to know.
>>
>>57142919
Try framebuffer browsers, video and music players. And combine it with tmux
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.