[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If Linux is so great, superior and completely free, why hasn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 244
Thread images: 28

File: windows-masterrace.png (3MB, 2846x1600px) Image search: [Google]
windows-masterrace.png
3MB, 2846x1600px
If Linux is so great, superior and completely free, why hasn't it replaced Windows yet?
>>
>>57142419
No games.
>>
It has in all markets but desktop
>>
>>57142419
Look, Linux is in fact objectively superior to Windows. But people don't give a shit about freedom and change. They just want something that werks and have muh gaymes. People are afraid of change.
>>
File: servers.png (495KB, 1427x1406px) Image search: [Google]
servers.png
495KB, 1427x1406px
>>57142450
>it has in all markets
This is what freetards actually believe.
>>
>>57142419
Since it's free, people are not paid to develop it. Most softwares are done by people on their free time, so most of them are unergonomic and ugly as shit.

Since they don't have clients, only users, they don't care about UX as much.

That's why proprietary or at least lucrative softwares will always win. They can spend more time and effort on their project and advertise it.
>>
>>57142419

Because it isn't "completely free", its TCO is massively higher than Windows'. Not to mention it really isn't superior but for a few applications. Believe it or not, some OSes are better for different things. Thinking there is a single operating that fits all your needs is fanboyism.
>>
Because Windows is default, it's the chicken and the egg

>It has greater demand so that's what we'll offer
>It has greater supply and support so that's what we'll buy
>>
>>57142501
You forgot the fact that the majority of Linux contributions is made by Corporations. Only a small chunk is actually done by volunteers.
>>
>>57142419
You forget that Windows 7 is the one with market share, not Winblows 8 or 10. After 7 I'll move to Linux.
>>
>>57142501

It's not about being done on free time, it's about being done by amateurs. There are few UX/UI experts contributing to open source. What do you think you are going to get when you have programmers working on UIs?

>>57142526

People seem to believe Microsoft has any power over OEMs when it's quite the opposite: software suppliers live and die based on volume of demand. Because there is no scarcity of software copies, the largest costs are development costs. Making 100,000 copies of a piece of software is expensive. Making 100 million is cheap. Because the costs don't rise per copy.

So at the end of the day what really matters is who can deliver what OEMs want in a timely fashion, and the OEM essentially pays suppliers back by bringing them customers. OEMs' decisions only depend on volume. Volume absorbs software development costs. There is no crazy conspiracy going on, as some Linux fanboys seem to believe.
>>
>>57142436
Steam on Linux has over 2000 games
>>
>>57142531
Because it reduces their overall costs ;^)
>>
>>57142419
- no vidya
- no drivers
- no proper software (daws, photo/videostuff
- not optimized at all
- shitty terminal
>>
>>57142419
>muh gaymes
Blame M$ and DirectX
>>
>>57142637
Most of which are
1. Poorly optimized
2. Don't work at all/ "works on my machine"
3. Unstable
4. Buggy
>>
>>57142710
sure, but you said no games
>>
>>57142419
Cause faggots like you
>>
>>57142693
>Blame M$ and DirectX
For being better?
>>
>>57142735
for being proprietary faggots
>>
>>57142470
This surprised me, I would think UNIX and Linux would have the largest market share
>>
>>57142634
But they do. OEMs had to sign contracts with Microsoft that forbid them from selling computers with other OS.

Microsoft got a huge boost from that since every software developer started making stuff for Windows. I'm not sure if the still sign those contracts (Android OEMs do, however) but nowadays most software is available only on Windows so both OEMs and most users have no reason to use anything else.

Microsoft has a monopoly in the desktop OS market.
>>
>If JCB is so great, superior and completely smee, why hasn't it replaced Ford yet?
>>
>>57142747

Don't blame your incompetence on others. Linux could've come up with a better standard, bit it didn't. OOXML is an open standard, yet Linux hasn't gotten that right to this day.

When you whine "microsoft be keepin' us down!" you sound just like a nigger.
>>
>>57142768

>but they do
Except they don't. OEMs could kill Microsoft on the spot if they wanted because Microsoft, like any other software developer, depends on volume, as I explained. Microsoft couldn't kill a single OEM if they wanted. They could maybe jack licensing prices up for some of them, but then they would just move to a different supplier. Jacking licensing prices up doesn't work as well as you guys think, just look at OS/2. It's essentially a shot to the foot.

>Microsoft has a monopoly in the desktop OS market.
No, they don't. By that logic, Linux has a monopoly in the supercomputer market, but not one of you seems to be whining about that.
>>
>>57142783
So if Linux is construction machinery then Why Windows also dominate Server OS and OS choice of developers?
Check mate freetard.
>>
>>57142786
No, it's not you autismo. They use a different implementation of OOXML as the advertised one, they modify the way it works every release of MS Office, they don't provide documentation on how to implement it (and don't even use the retarded "hurr, if they did that they wouldn't win moneyz" argument. Adobe does that with PDF and it still gives them shitloads of money) and they purposely don't support ODF fully to force users into their bullshit formats.

There's no reason they couldn't help with the OpenGL development and there is no reason to the bullshit they did with Internet Explorer. Microsoft did all that to force users into their ecosystem. Windows is a goddamn closed garden just as much as Mac OS is.
>>
File: 1470368938848.jpg (19KB, 383x384px) Image search: [Google]
1470368938848.jpg
19KB, 383x384px
>>57142710
>1. Poorly optimized
>2. Don't work at all/ "works on my machine"
>3. Unstable
>4. Buggy
This is what console gaymers think about every PC gaems.
>>57142724
OP is always a faggot.
>>57142735
Better at bribing and extortion.
>>57142867
>Windows also dominate Server OS
Exchange and MSSQL. MS is only good for development if your product's platform is only windows. High clusters are ALWAYS linux or bsd and not just because it would cost a fortune with micro&soft.

Deleted some filter just to see what kind of shitpost pooed in the /g/ loo. Sadly nothing new.
>>
>>57142818
>Lenovo decides to stop selling computers with Windows preinstalled
>everyone starts buying HP

OEMs don't control the OS market, Microsoft does. By forcing OEMs to only sell Windows, they assured that developers would make programs for Windows and that users are accustomed to the way Windows works.

Microsoft has a monpoly because they have an exclusive control on the desktop OS market. Linux does not have a monopoly in any market since there is no company behind Linux and everyone is free to implement it and use it as they please.
>>
>>57142759
Exchange.
Everyone other company is a fucking jew with 1 server which has everything on it and it usuakky run on win server. Because of exchange and shitty admins who dont know better
>>
Software compability
>>
>>57143121

>OEMs don't control the OS market, Microsoft does. By forcing OEMs to only sell Windows, they assured that developers would make programs for Windows and that users are accustomed to the way Windows works.
You're missing the part about how Microsoft has never had the power to force OEMs to do anything. If anything, it's OEMs that have a lot of power over Microsoft.

Microsoft assured developers would make programs for Windows by providing the best development tools out there at little cost. People joke about Steve Ballmer repeating "developers, developers, developers", but it's true: Microsoft is the one company out there that knows the importance of developers and takes good care of them.

>Microsoft has a monpoly because they have an exclusive control on the desktop OS market. Linux does not have a monopoly in any market since there is no company behind Linux and everyone is free to implement it and use it as they please.
So when Microsoft has 99% of the desktop market, it's a monopoly, but when Linux has 99% of the supercomputer market, it's not. Nice doublethink. I bet you also believe only whites can be racist against blacks but blacks can't be racist against whites.
>>
>>57142717
>sure, but you said no games
There was an implied "relative to." Of course, a loonix autist wouldn't pick up on conversational cues like that.
>>
>>57142735
Yes.
openGL just sucked.
But vulkan is really nice.
>>
>>57142419
1) Better doesn't always mean more popular
2) Baby duck syndrome

People learn windows (or mac) when they're young at school, and most are too lazy to learn anything new.

Microsoft is paying OEM's to put windows on their machines, and again, most people are too lazy to change what has been put in front of them.

When people say that "normies" are too stupid for linux, it usually isn't true. Linux is actually pretty easy to learn, but you can't be too lazy to want to learn something new.
>>
>>57143189
You're an idiot. Either you lack comprehension skills or you're ignoring information on purpose. You also don't know what a monopoly is, which makes you unable to engage any meaningful discussion on the subject.

I'm not gonna waste my time with you.
>>
>>57142717
>no games
implies no AAA and good games.
How is that hard to understand? Who fucking care only about shitty and old-ass games?
>inb4 muh new games are shit
Fuck off
>>
>>57143681
It's also gotten harder/out of the way for average Joe man to install to USB/DVD then boot it from due to UEFI.
>>
>>57143799
>no AAA
Blame the babby devs.

>good games
citation needed
>>
>>57143763
Not an argument.
>>
>>57143763

Get a load of this flustered freetard on the verge of tears because his sophisms were shattered. Stay rectally frustrated.
>>
>>57142436
>no games
uh, TuxRacer.....
>>
>>57142419
Because it's objectively worse for the Desktop?

Ironically - nowadays Windows requires more knowledge to run properly than Linux. This sounds bizarre to anyone who's a little bit older and remembers the times when Slackware was one of the most popular distros.

But in 2016, maintaining Ubuntu is easier than Windows. You don't need to be so careful, no need for malware, virii protection, etc.

But still people - myself included - use Windows or OSX for desktop.

Main reasons are:

1) total consistency in GUI
2) everything "just werks" - you don't run into the risk of some program not working on Linux

- and, personally, the most important for me and Linuxfags will attack me for saying this:

3) Windows never froze for me , while Linux has, repeatedly, many times... I mean total freeze, the kind where you can't even move your mouse. It's related to imperfect hardware support I guess. Anyway I don't care why it happens. But it happened to me in Linux MUCH MORE than it happened in Windows 7 or 10. (Yeah if we go far back in the times of blue screen of death, Windows was worse... but not anymore, at least for me)
>>
>>57142419
Linux isn't monkey friendly like Windows or OSX or iOS or Android. To use it, one should be technically literate and able to use CLI.
>>
>>57142470
Bullshit picture.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Market_share_by_category
>>
>>57142419
Kill yourself
>>
>>57142436
It's changing, even for AAA games.
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is going to be released for Linux.

It's more about some drivers integration, like Video Cards. I gave up at trying to make an Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M in Linux Mint 16 a couple of months ago.

I'd say more about how any people are hooked to Microsoft Office yet and proprietary corporate software, like SAP. Change that, and Linux would have business computer market at their feet.
>>
File: 1441222367049.gif (3MB, 275x155px) Image search: [Google]
1441222367049.gif
3MB, 275x155px
>>57142419
N O N - C O M M E R C I A L S O F T W A R E
>>
>>57144011
>windows
>total consistency in GUI
nice b8
>>
>>57142419
i haven't read all the replies in this thread so i could be repeating some things with this post.
you need more than better technology to take down a giant like windows. you need large enterprise IT buy in, OEM agreements, support, vendor friendly development, a consistent UI/UX for the vast majority of the user base: casuals and most importantly: pre-installs.
nobody takes their android phone and installs windows mobile or something. i know the analogy isn't the best but it's still not a terrible way to think of the situation: users are just users, they're not developers, they will use what they're told and make due.
nerdy malcontents or people with a real business need are the only ones clamoring for greater linux adaptation in the industry and theres just not enough of us to change the complexion of the market.
>>
>>57142419
I recently had no real obligations for Windows until I learned of ShareX.

Probably the single thing I'd miss.
>>
>>57144120
Why have I been hearing the it's changing argument for over a decade already. If it's changing it sure isn't in a hurry.
>>
>>57144203
another thing i want to add is that with linux, you're kind of on your own. even though microsoft as an entity sucks and most of their technology is shit one thing they have done will is make things slightly easier for developers than the linux "community". for example, say you're some decent sized software company that makes software for a specific market, like CAD for example. i'm not talking about some little free app or something, i'm talking full blown professional software that costs $10k per seat and up. your whole development team is focused on one platform: windows. your code base runs on everything from XP SPx to Windows 10. sure, it might look like shit on a hidpi windows 10 machine but at least it still runs good enough for your customers. this means you can provide support cheap enough for your customers to buy because you only need to focus on one platform.
on linux you have a much wider range of things you have to support. even if you statically link everything you still need to deal with different distributions, window managers, fonts, kernel versions, video card drivers, x servers, input subsystems and do all of this without compromising too much on performance. combined with the fact that your customer base would only grow fractionally with perfect linux support, the mere idea of investing real money into your R&D team is laughable.

tl;dr there are practical reasons to avoid linux and the blame can be spread around the industry.
>>
>>57144334
in case you didn't get it; keeping old applications running on your operating system requires series engineering effort the likes of which are only available to singular entities the size of Microsoft.
linux developers (inlcuding library developers, core utility developers, driver developers) can aslo do it collectively but it needs to be a real mandate made at the expense of other factors.
>>
>>57143799
>>>/v/

Developers of AAA games are shit.
>>
>>57144478
>tfw mafia 3 is an utter crap and new doom is spread eyecancer
>>
>>57144327
Because it's true. Linux sure have changed from 2006.
But people are afraid to experience new things, and usually don't feel the need if people show to them something that "just works", like Windows or Mac.

You need to be proactive to use Linux. 95% of complaints of people are "It doesn't work like Windows".
>>
>>57144478
>Developers of AAA games are shit.
I clearly said AAA AND good games.
If we bring the most played games on linux and we improve graphic drivers, the whole linux community will benefit from it wether you like the games or not.
>>
>>57144062

The picture is based off an IDC report. And how does the info on that link contradict the picture? It does not. You are illiterate.
>>
>>57142419
It doesn't come preinstalled.
>>
>>57144656
An open minded friend of mine ditched Windows 7 for Ubuntu and despite needing my help for the initial setup he's solved all his problems since.

And he's content that he can still play Dota 2.
>>
>>57142419
Because it isn't so great.
>>
File: 1475785654831.jpg (442KB, 1177x2676px) Image search: [Google]
1475785654831.jpg
442KB, 1177x2676px
>>57142470
>>
>>57142436
>>57142710
Not him but the no games argument is not true anymore. Windows is the best os for gaming mostly due to most game developers are trained into developing for it with microsoft's closed APIs, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the marketshare is small compared to windows there's hardly an incentive at the moment to optimize for linux, making look as if the platform were worse for games than windows when in fact to flip the situation you'll need to change the idiosyncrasies on the industry itself.

The fact though is that the situation on linux is not nearly the same than two years ago and now those who prefer linux over windows now can play games on it, helping to break the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for linux to compete in the gaming side. I anyone wants for this to change i recommend to play the games you can on linux when possible and ask for linux ports.

I notice some people doesn't want's for this to happen but if that the case let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

Some links:
https://steamdb.info/linux/
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
https://www.youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
https://www.youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
>>
>>57147067

You're so flustered you didn't even realize it's not the same graph. Try again, nervous freetard.
>>
>>57144142
This claim is not true tho.
>>
>>57144011
>Linuxfags will attack me for saying this
Needing to shield yourself alleging people will attack you is pathetic tho.
>>
>>57147127
Uh, no need to be so aggressive. I have seen the same argument before being either a lie or twisted, also other sources contradicts your claims, if any you should provide the source of your original image.
>>
>>57142419
It has already on my computer.
>>
>>57147269

>also other sources contradicts your claims
Show me one. I'll wait.

>you should provide the source of your original image
http://2012books.lardbucket.org/books/getting-the-most-out-of-information-systems-v1.4/s13-02-operating-systems.html
>>
>>57147204
Practically no one took the b8 and it's even more lame...
>>
>>57147817
>Show me one. I'll wait.
Someone already did >>57144062

>http://2012books.lardbucket.org/books/getting-the-most-out-of-information-systems-v1.4/s13-02-operating-systems.html
Your source is pretty old though.
>>
>>57148081

How does that contradict my claims?
>>
>>57148092
>It has in all markets but desktop
>Image shows windows at 50% on servers
>This is what freetards actually believe.
>Other source shows 36%
>You're so flustered you didn't even realize it's not the same graph. Try again, nervous freetard.
>>
>>57142419
Windows is great for some people, GNU/Linux is great for others. Neither is the all around answer, so stop shilling.
>>
>>57142677
>shitty terminal
pls leave
>>
>>57148143

>all servers are web servers

There's still time to delete that post and save yourself the embarrassment.
>>
>>57148170

>Windows is great for most applications, GNU/Linux is great for a few. Neither is the all around answer, so stop shilling.

FTFY
>>
File: linustorvalds.jpg (7KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
linustorvalds.jpg
7KB, 240x240px
>>57142419
He invented Linux when he was 5.
>>
>>57148170
this /thread
>>
Windows: Take full advantage of your hardware
Linux: le cli xd (you can just use WSL in Windows 10 now anyway)
>>
>>57143681
How is Linux easy to learn?
>>
>>57148420
and some faggot dare to say lincucks are the autists.
>>
>>57148420
This guy actually thinks that because Windows uses more system resources it "takes full advantage of your hardware"
>>
>>57148625
What else would it do with the 10 G's of ram it uses?
>>
>>57148625
unused ram is wasted ram
>>
>>57148420
it takes full advantage of hardware like how bill clinton takes advantage of women
>>
>>57148808
Well, that certainly explains the slimy cigar I found inside my tower.
>>
>>57148860
>tower.
>>
File: 1463098278132.jpg (10KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1463098278132.jpg
10KB, 250x250px
Lack of consumer awareness, and as a result, not as much support.
If Windows wouldn't come preinstalled on most manufactured PCs, Linux would already dominate the market.
Linux is just as accessible (if talking about more user-friendly distros) as Windows nowadays, often with even less problems, but Windows is already embedded in minds of average PC users to a point where most of them don't have the mental capacity to consider switching.
>>
>>57149235
this is what freetards truly believe
>>
File: Konachan.com - 90756 sample.jpg (3MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Konachan.com - 90756 sample.jpg
3MB, 1920x1200px
>>57149235
in short: baby duck syndrome

s-s-sage
>>
>>57147123
Not him but the no games argument is still true. Windows is the best OS for gaming mostly due to DirectX being better than garbage Khronos puts out, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for console to Windows to won't affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the Linux marketshare is small compared to Windows due to garbage like OpenGL/OpenAL, unstable ABIs and horrible audio stack.

The fact though is that the situation on Linux is still the same as decade ago, it's unstable trash and now those who prefer Linux still have nogames, keeping the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for Linux to compete in the gaming side. You can beg like bunch of entitled chidren on Steam forums spamming epic "no tux = no bux"

I notice some people want Linux to happen but let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the Linux? Because I consider that software freedom to be meme of autistic unemployed neckbeards not contributing any meaningful way to technology.
>>
File: ncta.png (14KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
ncta.png
14KB, 500x400px
Reminder that about half of the population is of below average intelligence.
>>
File: moving-goalposts.jpg (53KB, 599x398px) Image search: [Google]
moving-goalposts.jpg
53KB, 599x398px
>>57148225
>>
>>57149612
>Not him but the no games argument is still true.
Proved wrong with evidence in the post you're replying to.

>Windows is the best OS for gaming mostly due to DirectX being better than garbage Khronos puts out.
Care to elaborate? what are your criteria to claim this?

>so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for console to Windows to won't affect negatively the performance of the game.
The amount of bad console to windows ports beg to disagree.

>due to garbage like OpenGL/OpenAL, unstable ABIs and horrible audio stack.
Again, what is your criteria to say that is garbage? Regarding unstable ABIs steam solved this problem by bundling a runtime.

>The fact though is that the situation on Linux is still the same as decade ago.
>it's unstable trash and now those who prefer Linux still have nogames
Proved wrong with evidence in the post you're replying to. What is your criteria to say that is unstable?

>keeping the vicious circle
There's a vicious circle but the reasons were explained in the post you're replying to.

>but still there's a lot of things to do for Linux to compete in the gaming side
That's what the other posts already says.

>You can beg like bunch of entitled chidren on Steam forums spamming epic "no tux = no bux"
So basically people wanting the situation to change makes you upset and entitles you to call names? answer the original question in the other post first.

>how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the Linux?
Competition is good for the users, at this moment MS has practically a monopoly and linux having games allows me to play in my platform of choice without affecting windows users negatively as long the developer chooses multi-platform tools.

>Because I consider that software freedom to be meme of autistic unemployed neckbeards not contributing to any meaningful way to technology.
Sorry to call names but IMHO you just went full retard in this part.
>>
>>57150186
>>Not him but the no games argument is still true.
>Proved wrong

lol what?
>>
>>57148625
Enjoy that wasted GPU.
>>
>>57150332
read >>57147123
>>
File: nothing_to_hide.jpg (106KB, 678x1032px) Image search: [Google]
nothing_to_hide.jpg
106KB, 678x1032px
>>57148420
>Windows: Take full advantage of your hardware
More like: Wastes resources and take full advantage of your private data.
>>
>>57150402
no games means basically no selection of good, popular games. Are you autistic by chance?
>>
>>57150467
>no games means basically no selection of good, popular games.
Ok, so let each one to check the links in the post and decide that by themselves. Just to add more background 45/100 top games on steam supports linux:
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/57o2w1/9_out_of_10_of_the_top_games_on_steam_run_on_linux/d8tji15

Here is the source of the script:
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/forum/topic/2126

>Are you autistic by chance?
I don't think calling names will help you at all but if it makes yourself feel better do it.
>>
>>57142419
If Android is superior to Apple why isn't it more popular, quantity of customers doesn't mean it's greater, it just represents the incompetence of the general population
>>
>>57142419
>If Linux is so great, superior and completely free, why hasn't it replaced Windows yet?
Because gullible people are easily persuaded to waste money on it.

Linux is used on most of the word's supercomputers, major scientific research centers, militaries, and internet servers.

Windows is used on gaymers and websurfers to fund Microsoft executives' lavish lifestyles.
>>
>>57150554
yeah and windows supports 100/100 of them

with much more mature drivers, too
>>
File: me pretending im a real solider.jpg (138KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
me pretending im a real solider.jpg
138KB, 600x399px
>muh games
>>
>>57150605
>If Android is superior to Apple why isn't it more popular
Android has about 70% of the smartphone os market, Apple about 25%.
>>
>>57150650
Office doesn't have a decent alternative on Windows either

or Photoshop
>>
File: 1403837987365.png (48KB, 400x389px) Image search: [Google]
1403837987365.png
48KB, 400x389px
>it's a gamers pretend to be professional photo manipulators, secretaries, structural engineers or film producers to justify their Windows installation episode
>>
>>57142419
If the electric car is so great, superior and uses renewable energy, why hasn't it replaced the ICE yet?

>it's not as convenient
>it's not as readily available
>it doesn't beat it at everything yet
>its benefits are largely ethical in nature
>replacing something so deeply entrenched into daily life is ridiculously hard

If you want to dethrone the hegemony, you have to beat it completely, not partially, and NOW, not later.
>>
>>57150635
>yeah and windows supports 100/100 of them with much more mature drivers, too.
Yes, it was never stated otherwise, read carefully >>57147123 again because i'm feeling you're trying to avoid addressing the already stated arguments.

However i consider the arguments:
>Linux has no games
and
>no games means basically no selection of good, popular games.
Has been clearly disproved at this point.
>>
>>57150707
no, just gamers
>>
>>57150746
being a gamer is a good excuse for using Windows

but if you use it on every machine for every endeavor you're a piece of shit, no exceptions
>>
>>57150707
I feel this too, for them it's just a tribal thing as if proving they have the better operative system will benefit them in any way. However by trying to deter people from using linux they're shooting themselves in the foot, they just don't grasp how harmful for us, the customers, is microsoft's monopoly on desktop.
>>
>>57150760
okay, but those other endeavours are still handled better on windows or OSX
>>
Linux has no good:
>office suite
>video editor
>photo editor
>games

What is it good for again? Servers don't count.
>>
>>57150774
This depends on the tastes of the person, you cannot just generalize like that.
>>
>>57150792
>g-gimp is just as g-good

no
>>
>>57142419
>nmap -A [any web server]
oh look, it's linux
>>
>>57150790
Browsing 4chan /g/
>>
>>57150790
Linux has no good:
>office suite
You can use Libreoffice, Google Docs, Office 365, WPS office or MS Office on wine.

>video editor
>photo editor

True to certain extent but take some suggestions and let the reader to judge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
http://cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqgugAj69xw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
https://youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
http://www.sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/

>games
Already addressed in this tread, please read the thread and provide arguments before claiming this.
>>
>>57150846
>wine

lol
>>
>>57150808
no strawmans please, see >>57150846
first.
>>
>>57150846
>>57150790
>video editor
Blender.
>>
>>57150846
he added the keyword "good" there so that he could hand wave any rebuttal away like this

>"hurr it's not good I said good"

I'm sad you spent so much time building that reply
>>
>>57150854
A lot of programs works fine on wine even if you don't want to recognize it, even microsoft recognizes the need for compatibility layers when a third party hardly will support you.
>>
>>57150859
name me one (1) image editing software that's as good as PS without resorting to a kludgy emulator
>>
>>57150872
The part in the middle is pasta, that's why there's so many links not necessarily related to video and photo editiong, don't worry about time.
>>
Because it fucking sucks for normal people. The documentation fucking sucks, the experienced users fucking suck and nothing ever works like it's supposed to.
>>
File: 964.png (118KB, 1867x600px) Image search: [Google]
964.png
118KB, 1867x600px
>>57142419

Because GNU/Linux for desktops is a completely shit! A hobbist OS.

I may be being too pessimistic, but I believe that GNU/Linux will never become indeed a system geared to the general public. It's easier for MacOS becomes a direct competitor of Windows than GNU/Linux.
>>
>>57150927
Experienced users? What do you mean?
>>
>>57150883
>that's as good as PS
>without resorting to a kludgy emulator
Unfortunately you already involved your tastes in the argument and you are the one choosing the wining conditions so doesn't matter what i said, under your rules you just need to say "i don't like it" to win. Just look at the links at >>57150846
They contains examples of people working with tools available on linux but unless you define a more clear criteria for "good" i will not try to convince you in particular, use your own reasoning with the evidence presented.
>>
>>57150767
You know the only thing driving 99% of open source is their efforts to catch up to proprietary, right? Microsoft is the reason you're not using punch cards right now, with your complaints being met with, "If you don't like it, just punch your own cards!"

With nothing better out there highlighting its deficiencies, open source just sits there. "You have no other choice, and I'm not going to work for free, so this proves you're wrong for asking for this feature!"
Proprietary moves forward and gives you that feature because they want your money.

Linux only exists in anything close to its current form because Microsoft showed just what it was possible for an OS to do.
>>
>>57150960
>>57150960
okay, but the problem is most people's taste aligns with myself as well, so until we get an actual alternative Linux will always be runner up in that space
>>
>>57150940
>Because GNU/Linux for desktops is a completely shit!
This is at best an opinion.

>A hobbist OS
There's dozens of proofs on google that contradicts this statement, just look at >>57150846.

>but I believe that GNU/Linux will never become indeed a system geared to the general public.
I don't think anyone can argue against a prediction, most of us don't have a crystal ball. I think the one who controls what OS is tech at schools and what OS is bundled with the hardware is the one who gets the marketshare, i hardly think the quality of the product is so relevant, if people relates the brand "windows" with "quality" there would be a huge demand on WP devices, but people just uses whatever comes bundled.

>It's easier for MacOS becomes a direct competitor of Windows than GNU/Linux.
Probably, apple is pretty big but i'm not sure if at any moment they'll allow other manufacturers to ship their OS, after all part of their business is sell "exclusivity".
>>
>>57150997
>You know the only thing driving 99% of open source is their efforts to catch up to proprietary, right? Microsoft is the reason you're not using punch cards right now, with your complaints being met with, "If you don't like it, just punch your own cards!"
Ahm, this is a bold claim but i don't think you can actually prove this tho, the only thing i get is that you respect MS a lot.

>With nothing better out there highlighting its deficiencies, open source just sits there.
Ahm, this is at best an opinion and it's pretty clear you like a lot microsoft.

>"You have no other choice, and I'm not going to work for free, so this proves you're wrong for asking for this feature!"
This is an strawman though.

>Proprietary moves forward and gives you that feature because they want your money.
True but what is your point?

>Linux only exists in anything close to its current form because Microsoft showed just what it was possible for an OS to do.
Again, please provide a reasoning on this because i can claim windows has taken a lot of features from linux and i wouldn't be wrong, just look how much time they took to implement virtual desktops and a notification center, also windows still doesn't have a proper package manager integrated.
>>
>>57151048
>pretzel logic
Just leave and never come back.
>>
Semi-retarded threads like this one are actually a good public warning against using Windows for anything serious. Thank you for the reminder.
>>
>>57150998
>okay, but the problem is most people's taste aligns with myself as well
I can claim the same though.

> so until we get an actual alternative Linux will always be runner up in that space
Please check >>57150846, there's people right now working with other tools doing great things IMO, not saying adobe is not the best but there's great alternatives on linux.
>>
File: 2016-10-20-020139_1366x768_scrot.png (1019KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-20-020139_1366x768_scrot.png
1019KB, 1366x768px
tfw fresh Arch

still gotta do some UI configuration tomorrow. great thing is I get to make this look exactly how I want it to

wincucks btfo
>>
>>57151128
>pretzel logic
Please explain.

>Just leave and never come back.
What made you upset?
>>
>>57151178
Try thinking in a straight line, not coming up with excuses shielding your fanboy OS.
>>
>>57142470
> implying all markets = only sever
>>
>>57151191
>not coming up with excuses shielding your fanboy OS.
I just provided a reasoning, please tell what are my excuses? what do you gain by calling me "fanboy"? is an attempt to discredit me?
>>
>>57151236
You have an unquestioned belief that Linux is superior and form conclusions about everything around you to align with that belief. Try negating that premise and taking another look without having your head up your ass.
>>
>>57149612
You do know that Khronos releases standards, not software, right?
>>
>>57142470
nice meme chart, now post source
>>
>>57151376
>You have an unquestioned belief that Linux is superior
I never said that. I like linux more, that's true, but the unquestioned belief is your attempt at discrediting me (ad hominem).

>and form conclusions about everything around you to align with that belief.
This claims are ironical considering your posts talks as if microsoft did all those things, but you cannot prove them because are very wide and bold claims:
>the only thing driving 99% of open source is their efforts to catch up to proprietary
>Microsoft is the reason you're not using punch cards right now
>open source just sits there
>Linux only exists in anything close to its current form because Microsoft showed just what it was possible for an OS to do

be more specific and provide evidence at least. When i said "because i can claim windows has taken a lot of features from linux" is an example of what you're doing.

If any you're the one that has put words in my mouth in order to avoid the argument itself.

>Try negating that premise and taking another look
Be more specific please, the things you side are bold claims but hardly believable IMO.

>without having your head up your ass.
Again, using ad hominems and using deflect tactics will not help you to convince anyone.
>>
>>57151827
He already did but it's pretty old: >>57147817
If true that means MS has lost around 15% of their marketshare on servers since 2012.
>>
File: MoonMan4evrJewsNever.jpg (6KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
MoonMan4evrJewsNever.jpg
6KB, 480x360px
Well, You can't get very many games.
And some people are too fucking stupid to figure out how to get a new operating system.
>>
>>57153006
>Well, You can't get very many games.
Around 20% of the windows steam catalog and lacks AA games in general but it's still 2000+ games including some very good ones.

>And some people are too fucking stupid to figure out how to get a new operating system.
Far from that, in my own experience most people doesn't even know what is an operative system, the one who control what software comes bundled with most of the hardware will always have most of the marketshare. Still is surpinsing that already 1 of every 50 people that use a computer chooses linux by their own will.
>>
>>57142637
But it doesn't have most of the major releases from the last at least 10 years, the releases that attract a majority of PC gamers to the PC and Steam.
>>
File: BgwYkyt.jpg (12KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
BgwYkyt.jpg
12KB, 480x270px
>>57142637
>781 million registered games on steam
>over 2000 on linux
>>
Once Wayland and systemd are standard, manufacturers will most likely start shipping laptops with Linux, especially if said laptops are using Core M chips.
>>
>>57153188
True, however: >>57147123
>>57150554
The important part is to end the vicious circle.

>781 million registered games on steam
wut?
>>
>>57142677
>shitty terminal
Which is why Windos has bash now, yea?
>>
>>57152922
>>57147817
yeah, great source
immediately discarded after half a second of looking and seeing that one of the pie charts doesn't even add up to 100%
>>
>>57153272
delusional
>>
>>57153657
A big reason why Linux still hasn't been widely adopted is because X was standard but it is unwieldy, deprecated trash. Wayland will soon replace X. Another reason was that Linux was lacking in standard foundations from which distros could build upon. There was too much variation between distros at the bottom levels. systemd provides standardization that actually works and is efficient. But beyond those two, Gnome 3 provides a modern, attractive, very well integrated DE that normies can easily adapt to.
>>
>>57153249
>781 million games
Lies, some of that has to be DLC

I believe the actual amount is closer to like 10,000 games.
>>
>>57153789
no one asked for the monolithic poorly architectured garbage that is systemd

no one asked for a market ready desktop OS

Linux is fine without people making it their personal take of Windows

Systemd has done way more damage to the community by introducing its harmful development and design practices

The blind bandwagoning of it is interesting as it keeps absorbing itself into a large tangled spaghetti ball of functionality unrelated to an init system

It's interesting, the cloaking of having it be a new modern init system while in reality it's a major re implementation of critical OS elements.
>>
>>57150159

I didn't move the goal posts. The pie chart I originally posted deals with server marketshare. Then you posted some wikipedia crap about webservers and you think that contradicts me. You are clinically retarded.
>>
>>57142515
Love how freetards don't have an answer for this.
>>
>>57153645

Damn, why can't lincucks deal with the fact that Windows dominates not only the desktop market but also the server market?

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2467824/windows-pcs/idc--windows-dominates-linux-in-servers--not-just-the-desktop.html
>>
>>57154117
nice blogpost from 2010 from some no name source

by the way, that's a Windows fanboy site. see the 'about' section

Go bring some more worthless obscure sources to fuel your delusion from the tenth page of your search engine

Meanwhile, if you want to look at properly compiled statistics there's a wikipedia page with source listings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems
>>
>>57154191

>genetic fallacy
Okay.

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems
That page does not list general server marketshare.
>>
>>57142419
you're a fucking dumbshit op
>>
>>57154191
>Include android in every linux statistic
Congrats, android is popular and has technically made linux marketshare skyrocket.
We're not talking about mobile devices.
>>
>>57142419
By 2025 we'll all be using NSALinux or face the death chamber.
>>
>>57154211
yeah, go find a proper statistical survey of backend servers with a nonbullshit scale and sample size. Or you can just post more Windows blogs from 2010 and hope others can't read because you claim it's a "general" marketshare

Protip, if the majority of mainframes and web facing servers are running Linux and other UNIX-like platforms, there's not going to be a reversal of this trend for backend infrastructure
>>
>>57154241
I wasn't either.
I was talking about server.
I'm sorry you can't selectively read a webpage
>>
>>57154316
>Internet based servers' market share can be measured with statistical surveys of publicly accessible servers, such as web servers, mail servers[144] or DNS servers on the Internet: the operating systems powering such servers are found by inspecting raw response messages. This method gives insight only into market share of operating systems that are publicly accessible on the Internet.

So it doesn't factor in every single private windows server used for email, active directory, storage pooling, hyper-v, IIS, or any of that?
Cool. Great to know. Everybody uses Apache for serving up webfiles. No surprise there.
>>
>>57154302
>all surveys we find on backend infrastructure put windows in front
>"i-it's all bullshit!"
Sure thing, kid.

>there's not going to be a reversal of this trend for backend infrastructure
Why wouldn't it? Can't you even fathom the possibility that Windows might be better than Linux in at least some scenarios?

It quickly becomes obvious who's the biased one here.
>>
>>57142419
Sadly I find windows 10's "Desktop environment" runs faster on my computer compared to modern Linux DEs like unity/cinnamon/gnome/plasma.
>>
>>57154058
http://2012books.lardbucket.org/books/getting-the-most-out-of-information-systems-v1.4/s13-02-operating-systems.html
>Source: HitsLink (desktop, May 2012), IDC (server, Q1 2012), Gartner (mobile, May 2012), and IDC (March 2012). Note that Android tablet figure includes Kindle Fire.
http://www.idc.com/research/container_error.jsp
>IDC Research is available online for 18 months after the original publication date.
Neat source.
>>
>>57154340
>"i-it's all bullshit!"
Ironically this is what you're doing.

>Why wouldn't it? Can't you even fathom the possibility that Windows might be better than Linux in at least some scenarios?
No one said this, you made a claim and someone challenged the claim, not being able to defend that claim you're resorting to use strawmans and ad hominems.

>It quickly becomes obvious who's the biased one here.
You of course.
>>
>>57154431

>Ironically this is what you're doing.
Nice projecting.

>you made a claim and someone challenged the claim
With no evidence whatsoever. I provided evidence for my claims, you just dismissed them for no good reason, committing genetic fallacy after genetic fallacy.

>not being able to defend that claim you're resorting to use strawmans and ad hominems
You're the one who's not being able to properly refute my claim. You have basically two sophisms as counter-arguments:

1- Claim my sources are biased and untrustworthy, but you never prove that they are biased and you never provide trustworthy sources.

2- Repost an exhausted Wikipedia link providing web server figures. This is the only source you consider trustworthy, and to be honest I consider it trustworthy too. But how is that indicative of the global server market?

All surveys we can find agree that Windows dominates over or at least ties with Linux on general server OS share. But apparently for you, the only valid source is one which contains a sample strict enough to make Linux the winner. That has a name, it's called bias.

Also, the plural of ad hominem is ad homina.
>>
Paid shill threads are against 4chan rules.

Report them, ignore them, and send feedback to 4chan to block all MS owned IPs so this shit can die once and for all.
>>
File: 1327674341231.jpg (13KB, 231x56px) Image search: [Google]
1327674341231.jpg
13KB, 231x56px
>>57142419
Whilst other programs can fill the roles of their windows counterparts they are not as feature rich and usable.

Also, outside of viruses, they are more prone to self-destruction when operated by your average person.

That's about it.
>>
>>57154335
>So it doesn't factor in every single private windows server used for email, active directory, storage pooling, hyper-v, IIS, or any of that?
go show me a proper source that factors that in.
By proper I mean a non bullshit sample size from a diverse population of systems.

>>57154340
>"all surveys"
>posts an outdated windows fanboy site
you posted an advertisement not a survey

>Can't you even fathom the possibility that Windows might be better than Linux in at least some scenarios?
it's called interoperability

Windows is perfect for desktops. That's clear. It's shit at cost scaling for enterprise which is why it does so poorly in other areas. The worst part is that open alternatives for critical functions are all mature so it leaves little space for Windows to move in those marketshares. Outside of monetizing on IP to make proprietary exclusive features they don't have much room for creating products that can differentiate themselves. This is why they're pushing PaaS and other memes. They want customers off a diverse mix and match solution system that saves huge amounts of money.

>>57154058
whoever made those pie charts can't even be bothered to fucking add up to 100%
Take your garbage sources somewhere else
>>
>>57154542
>Nice projecting.
uh?

>With no evidence whatsoever. I provided evidence for my claims, you just dismissed them for no good reason
The only piece of evidence you presented was challenged and you're clinging to it instead of presenting further evidence to backup your claims.

>committing genetic fallacy after genetic fallacy
Dude, i'm not the only one who has replied to you, would you mind quoting the genetic fallacies? you're claiming to be a lot but i only see one >>57147067
, after that one other people presented contradictory evidence but you're claiming that your chart (which is old) represents all the server marketshare, however the IDC research cannot be accessed anymore because they only allow to access the data for 18 months and you haven't been able to disprove the wikipedia charts claiming that is incomplete and that that you have more complete evidence that you has not presented.

>You're the one who's not being able to properly refute my claim.
Other people already did.

>1- Claim my sources are biased and untrustworthy, but you never prove that they are biased and you never provide trustworthy sources.
I don't know about biased or untrustworthy but it has proven to be outdated and that there's more recent statistics with different information.

>2- Repost an exhausted Wikipedia link providing web server figures. This is the only source you consider trustworthy, and to be honest I consider it trustworthy too. But how is that indicative of the global server market?
I'm not the only one who pointed to it but other sites about server marketshare has similar results, but this is irrelevant because you claimed that we need the marketshare of "all servers" i'm waiting an updated source with "all servers."

>All surveys we can find agree that Windows dominates over or at least ties with Linux on general server OS share.
Please provide them, you only presented one.
>>
>>57154872
>But apparently for you, the only valid source is one which contains a sample strict enough to make Linux the winner. That has a name, it's called bias.
This is an ad hominem at best. You're the one who refuses to provide more arguments calling names to everyone who questions the validity of your chart.

>Also, the plural of ad hominem is ad homina.
Thanks, but stop using ad homina, your logic is based on that anyone who doesn't believes immediately your chart is biased.
>>
>>57153960
>Systemd has done way more damage to the community

Fuck the community, all that matters is progress and systemd is progress.
>>
>>57154912
>progress
If you understood anything about proper OS architecture you would see that systemd is actually a step back
the "muh progriss" meme is usually spewed by those that don't care about what makes GNU/Linux great in the first place

I will tell you what makes it shit. It's a fast moving corporate-tied spaghetti ball of code that is getting increasingly more complex as it absorbs more and more core components.
>>
>>57142419
marketing
>>
>>57142677
>Shitty terminal

LOL.
>>
>>57153960
>no one asked for the monolithic poorly architectured garbage that is systemd
>no one asked for a market ready desktop OS

no, you are wrong

people asked for that all the time

just not the kind of people you think of.

>systemd will make Linux more mainstream
is true
>systemd is horrible shit that makes Linux shit
is also true

they "tricked us" with the marketshare thing. it was never about having large marketshare, we're finally getting it and look how bad things have become
>>
>>57153249
100+ train simulator dlcs
>cashgrab trump games
>>
>>57144011
>total consistency in GUI
Not this shit again. The last time Windows had a consistent UI was 7.
>>
>>57142470
>company want servers for domain since the computers run windows too
>servers have to run windows server
woah, linux btfo guys
>>
File: 001.jpg (275KB, 850x1133px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
275KB, 850x1133px
MARKETING
>>
>>57143148
>shitty admins who dont know better
You mean shitty admins that have to save time so they can administer 300 machines with 2 people.
Windows license pricing is low compared to having to hire two more lincucks admins.
Loonix simply needs far too much maintenance when it has to do more than a simple web server.
>>
>>57155604
debian requires no maintenance and updating it is easier and faster than updating windows :)
>>
>>57144062
Those are web servers you fuckin idiot.

Anyone using a windows server as a plain web server is completely retarded. Coming from a windows admin.
>>
>>57147067
Wow, just wow, that graphic was made by a total retard and you look totally stupid for posting it.
THOSE ARE WEBSERVERS YOU FOOL.
While Spiceworks gives a pretty good estimate on servers around, web servers should always be set up on linux, simply because it's easy as fuck and costs no license fee.
No sane person would use windows as a mere web server.
God you lincucks are advanced stupid.
>>
>>57143681
>Microsoft is paying OEM's to put windows on their machines
That's bullshit dumbfuck.
Microsoft gives them cheap licenses, nearly for free, and then provides support, which linux doesn't have. So when idiot has problems with pc, if loonix is on it he would call the hardware vendor, which they don't want.
>>
>>57155615
>debian requires no maintenance
As I said, that's only true for a web server or other simple bullshit.

Everything that's not in the repositories takes far too much time for anyone. And if shit breaks you have zero support, while a retard that knows how to windows desktop can easily administer basic windows server functionality.
>>
>>57155801
>debian is good for servers
have fun with ur vulnerabilities sticking around for months
>>
>>57155917
What are you trying to say?
I'm not the one shilling debian dumbfuck.
>>
>>57155665
>oem nearly for free
>provides support.
Choose one. If you are poorfag, choose oracle. If you talks about desktops then suck some nutella from my ass.
>>
>>57155995
i'm saying debian itself is a security liability
>>
>>57142470
Source: My ass
>>
no market for linux desktop. There is no way to get money from it.So no investment, no money, no development, no promoting. no software. no users.
>>
>>57156041
and thats why the linux community is great and why most distros respect the user
>>
>>57156050
Community not great at all.
And do you have respect for distros and developers? And if you do how do you express it,
Inb4: talking everywhere everyone that linux is great
>>
>>57150186
>Sorry to call names but IMHO you just went full retard in this part.
Free software is garbage.
>>
\(>o<)/Alarm! freeturds spotted at sector /g/
Anti FOSS spray activated ( ^)/占~~~~~
(・_・ ) ( ・_・) freeturds u are here ?
* silence *
we stopped the freeturds invasion \(^ ^)/
/g/ saved the world again ヘ(^_^ヘ)(ノ^_^)ノ
>>
Most users just enjoy the comfort windows brings doesnt matter if it costs more
>>
>>57156220
if it more complicated than text editor
yeah
>>
>>57142470
The fuck. What are "others"? No, really. I'm sincerely curious, can someone please elaborate?
>>
Because normies like what's familiar, not what's best.
>>
This has devolved to the point that no one is making sense or saying much that has any factual basis in physical reality. You should all be getting emotionally worn out by now, and tired from all the arm waving. I suggest a break, a nice sandwich and drink, and some light entertainment. Anyway, I'm out of popcorn, so bye.
>>
>>57142436
Or Photoshop or Autocad or just about any relevant program
>>
>>57156906
Really?
>>
>>57142436
This.
>>
>>57142747
How about blame developers for using it, faggot.
>>
>>57156007
what fucking isn't

also any server has physical security vulnerabilities :^)
>>
>>57154963
I understand you're literally typing a load of bullshit
>>
>>57156050
>the linux community is great
You can find some perfect examples of the linux community on this board. Totally autistic assholes with no intention of helping anybody. Except from the 0.001 % that actually write useful documentations.
>>
>>57157382
>How about blame developers for using it, faggot.
So you want to blame developers for wanting to be able to feed their family? Yeah, those assholes, why don't they develop floss, there's plenty of food in the bin.
>>
File: 1474111395271.jpg (32KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
1474111395271.jpg
32KB, 636x358px
>>57155354
>yfw no cashgrab trump games
>>
>>57144036
>apt-get
look ma i'm 1337h4xx0r
>>
File: vq.jpg (117KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
vq.jpg
117KB, 1280x720px
>>57142419
Replaced for what purpose? Microsoft are so worried about Windows being replaced by Linux (and macOS) as a developer OS that they created the Windows Subsystem for Linux (marketed as Bash on Ubuntu on Windows.) They're also so worried about Windows being replaced by Linux as a web server operating system that they have at least two contingency plans. Azure has first-class support for Linux so Microsoft can still be relevant as a cloud provider if Windows Server fails, and they have the .NET Core/ASP.NET Core/Kestrel web stack so they can still be relevant in web development if Windows Server fails.

I don't know if you know how much effort Microsoft is putting into these contingency plans, but it's a lot. It's not easy to build a translation layer for a completely different operating system inside your operating system, nor is it easy to build an entire cross-platform language runtime and web server from scratch. Microsoft are going all-in on cross-platform tech because they know Windows is losing relevancy in some areas.

Yes Windows is still popular among normies for desktop use, but more and more normies are leaving their desktops (and laptops) and using phones and tablets to browse Facebook and YouTube. Microsoft know this too, which explains their hilarious attempts at targeting the phone and tablet with Windows Phone and Windows 8/10 UWP apps.
>>
File: 1469275504903.jpg (207KB, 920x900px) Image search: [Google]
1469275504903.jpg
207KB, 920x900px
>>57144203
>>57144334
>>57144390
this /thread
>>
File: 1463590741250.jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1463590741250.jpg
6KB, 225x225px
>>57150867
>>
Windows is the most used operating system for servers and every company wants azure with EMS (Microsoft Enterprise Mobility Suite) these days which basically means intune, active directory federation services, azure AD premium and azure resources management infrastructure.

Most small companies just get infrastructure as a service unless they are carrying super sensitive data themselves that they keep on premises. Even medium/big companies sometimes buy certain parts of their system as a service because it's more cost effective just to have someone else manage that shit for you.

Microsoft is literally destroying linux when it comes to businesses.

Everything I said is not an opinion, it is fact. I work with this shit on a daily basis.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161020-163132.png (156KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161020-163132.png
156KB, 1920x1080px
>>57158557
>Microsoft is literally destroying linux when it comes to businesses.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems
Unix operating systems have 67,8% market share in servers worldwide and Windows servers have a market share of 32,3%. I wouldn't classify that as ''destroying Linux''. And that's jut for servers.Not a single supercomputer in 2016. runs any non Unix like OS.
>>
>>57157922
12yo bants are the best
>>
It's too late for Linux to ever overtake Windows for desktop/laptop computers, but it kinda has overtaken tablets/phones which is the future of normie computing anyways

everyone on /g/ is a nerd and not even close to being the 'normal' computer user. Truth is normal people don't like dicking around with computers, they use them to work the front desk at the hotel or to look up the air filter you need at Auto Zone, and that's the kinda shit Microsoft cornered before most of you were born.

I don't see that changing anytime soon. I think the majority of PC users in the future will be people at work. Then they'll get home and instead of TV they'll have passive shit like tablets and iphones to LOL at while drinking
>>
>>57142419
Because windows users are casuals
>>
>>57147123
Actually windows isnt the best os for gaming its actually the smallest. You wouldnt create a multi platform game in direct x. Once vulkan gains ground dx will completly die.
>>
>>57150997
Mac os showed everybody what it was all about. Microsoft was just trying to keep up in the early days. Everything was done in open gl from adobe, maya to emagaic logic/pro tools. Dx was playing catch up at the time
>>
>>57157317
Photoshop and Autocadd are the only relevant programs really
>>
>>57159761
>Once vulkan gains ground dx will completly die
So never?
>>
Most of people don't change the system came with laptop or pc.
>>
>>57142419
Because it dosent come preinstalled. Most people dont know how/want to install an OS.
>>
File: 1474004522315.gif (2MB, 275x248px) Image search: [Google]
1474004522315.gif
2MB, 275x248px
>>57159761

>windows isnt the best os for gaming its actually the smallest

?

nobody in their right mind would recommend linux or mac os for a gaming computer, am i misinterpreting what you are saying?
>>
>>57159937
Most Dell laptops with Ubuntu sticker I see are running Windows, pirated but still Windows.
>>
File: hackintosh.jpg (255KB, 1600x1548px) Image search: [Google]
hackintosh.jpg
255KB, 1600x1548px
>>57159579
Nope. You're wrong. Watch Andromeda take over Windows in laptops/desktops/tablets and phones.

It's a unified OS and it's Linux-based. I've been saying for years that it would take Google for the "year of the Linux desktop" to actually come
>>
File: 1452135609579.jpg (474KB, 920x900px) Image search: [Google]
1452135609579.jpg
474KB, 920x900px
>>57158370
Kill yourself dumb manchild
>>
>>57142419
>drivers
>manageable library updates
>no self contained applications, like Tor Browser
>>
When will this "Windoous 10 am i rite guysXDDD!!!1!!" meme threads end?
>>
>>57155617
Really? All of them? Even the ones that fall under desktop, smart phone, tablet, console, embedded, super computer, mainframe, etc.?
>>
ascend
Thread posts: 244
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.