[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Visual Studio

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: visual-studio-team-services.png (5KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
visual-studio-team-services.png
5KB, 600x315px
Is this good for anything. I have never used it and the opinions on it here are extremely polarized. What about it is good, and what about it is bad? Do companies use it as a de-facto IDE for C#/C++ or something?
>>
It used to be a good general purpose IDE but Jetbrains came along and did everything the right way for every language you need
>>
It holds your hand really well
Can also be needlessly complex
Full install is like 60 fucking GIGABYTES
Will mercilessly violate your old laptop because its a resource hog

Look into .NET core for Linux instead
>>
>>57139974
I don't know of too many companies that use their IDEs, but a couple of my friends have used intelliJ for jobs and sing its praises on the regular.

I used emacs for a few years since I was trying a bunch of different languages and it helped with productivity. Now I am realizing I need to settle for Java or C++/C# and I need a normal IDE geared toward either of them so I don't look autistic to employers.
>>
Started a new job as part time developing some asp dot net site. Been there 4 times now. Had problems with VS 3 times. 2 reinstalls and 1 repair tool. Still have a project which I can't open because VS crashes every time I try to open it. If I every get a chance to get out I will take it. VS is horrible because if it fucks up you will spent hours trying to fix it.
>>
There are two kinds of IDEs:
>huge, everything-and-the-kitchen-sink all-in-one coding, refactoring, debugging, compiler-and-bytecode-analyzing IDEs
>"Minimalist" feature-set IDEs focused more on writing and testing programs
Of the first group, Visual Studio is undoubtedly the best. The problem is that most people on /g/, and many other people, prefer the second and don't realize they're two different non-competing categories. There's problems and advantages to both. I use vim, and I use emacs, but I wouldn't want to use them to debug multiple kloc "industrial" C++ projects. Hell, even "small" things like self-reflective scope-, object-, and variable-aware autocomplete ("IntelliSense") can make a big difference in convenience.
>>
>>57140018
Not op, but is .net core reliable on linux?
I tried writing multiplatform programs on mono but it gave inconsistent and unreliable results
>>
>>57140118
For the second thing there's also VS Code which has gotten very good in the last year.
>>
>>57140264
Except it doesn't come close to other text editors in this category. It only makes sense if you want to go full Microsoft. (and why would you want to do that?)
>>
>>57140221
It's better than mono but still not a full .NET implementation
>>
>>57139963
the debugger is good
>>
>>57140018
>>57140118
merge this two answers and you can
/thread
>>
>>57139974
This desu except for most of Jetbrains IDEs being massive memory hogs for no real reason
>needing 800mb memory to run a fucking python IDE

If i didnt get them for free i wouldnt use any of their products outside of idea.
>>
last really good VS was 2008 desu
>>
It's shit the debugger loses track of variables all the time.
>>
It's not useful since it is only available for one OS.
>>
It has the best visual debugger in existence. That's about it.
>>
Good programmers use Vim or Emacs because they don't need their hand being held by this proprietary disaster.
>>
>>57142445
Well meme'd
>>
The debugger is shit.

It loses track of vars all the time and doesn't update the values properly.
>>
File: GetsuyoubinoTawawa-Episode2-34.jpg (91KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
GetsuyoubinoTawawa-Episode2-34.jpg
91KB, 1280x720px
>>57139963
I got a job taken from me because of this.
>be me
>CS major
>work with certain phone company
>have small dev business going
>customer want a program to manage finance of business
>VERY VERY basic program just set amount and add them together
>customer demand to see how it goes
>np.sh
>first line of code and the customer ask where the window
>try to explain but no avail
>goes to the "pc repair guy" next to me
>use VS to make a glorified calculator application for 450$
>>
>class wizard is actually an html page opened in IE
>overly complicated; writing a Makefile isn't that hard
>shit tier text editor
>paying a license to publish software you wrote
Yeah, it's breddy gewd.
>>
>>57143285
Freetards BTFO
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.