[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hifi speakers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: index.jpg (5KB, 247x204px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5KB, 247x204px
I want to get a pair of "proper" speakers (budget 500€) to play music using my PC. What equipment do I need?

- Speakers
What kind of speakers? There are different types and I have no idea which serves best for listening purposes. Active ones like Yamaha HS7/8? Generally speaking, is the bass good enough for EDM? Or should I get a subwoofer as well?

- DAC/Audio interface
I have a FiiO E10K Olympus 2 that I use in combination with headphones. Can I use it to drive (correct word?) a pair of speakers? How does it compare to more expensive audio interface like the Focusrite Scarlett?

I'd appreciate any kind of help. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>57139914
Buy a pair of bookshelves (best you can get) + an amp (Or a receiver, can cut corners here, look 2nd hand). Your DAC is fine. Save up for a sub later if you think you need it.
>>
>>57140194
Not him but I have an unused home theater system and I want to use the sub with my satellite speakers. What should I do?
>>
>>57140210
Just use the sub? Plug it into whatever you're using for an audio sauce. If it's a modern active sub it'll probably accept all sorts of inputs.

It should have volume/filter/phase controls so you can fiddle with it to suit the rest of your gear.
>>
>>57140243
Okay Thanks!
>>
>>57140194
I thought the Fiio was an amp as well. Guess not. Is there a single device that is a DAC and amp for both headphones and speakers?

I'll look into bookshelf speakers, thanks!
>>
>>57139914
If you're gunna use them in a fairly small room you don't need a sub. The bass is fine, otherwise it will become muddy and defeats the purpose of studio monitors.
>>
You don't want studio monitors for bass-oriented music.

>>57140782
The purpose of studio monitors is to have a baseline playing field for mastering purposes. Maybe the average /g/ studio monitor is actually a far cry from a real monitor and is more or less a glorified bookshelf speaker, I don't know, but OP needs a subwoofer with 120Hz rolloff bookshelves.
>>
>>57140767
>I thought the Fiio was an amp as well.
It is.
>>
>>57140798
I think what OP really needs is better taste in music.

>tfw listening to jazz on my JBL studio monitors
So crisp and so clean.
>>
>>57140872
>Better taste in music
Get over yourself. You'll end up being the grandpa that can't enjoy music unless it's the stuff he thinks people should enjoy.
You should try quality units that aren't studio monitors sometime.
>>
>>57140829
Apparently it's only a headphone amp, I just looked it up. So I do need an amp for the speakers. How important is the amp? Is a cheap one good enough?
>>57140782
>>57140798
Makes sense to get another type of speakers then. Looking into bookshelves right now.
>>
>>57141072
>Apparently it's only a headphone amp
>That means it can only amplify headphones
Are you retarded?
>>
>>57141201
There's a difference between being retarded and being ignorant, you fucking idiot.
>>
>>>/r/zeos
Solid recommendation guides.
>>
Genuine question, Why buy book shelf speakers and an amp?, why not buy a mini HI FI or an actual HI FI with all the connectivity options, bluetooth, etc, and pump out 1000+ Watt rms.
>>
>>57141409
I'm already wading through that reddit, but thanks anyway.
>>57141475
Do you mean a set of speakers with a receiver? I figured it would be more expensive and require more space. Also, I don't really need a receiver since I do everything by using my computer.
>>
File: horn_loaded_at_the_age_of_34.jpg (46KB, 505x670px) Image search: [Google]
horn_loaded_at_the_age_of_34.jpg
46KB, 505x670px
>>57139914
klipsch
>>
>>57139914
Fiio E10K works great for monitor speakers, just be sure that you put the 3.5 mm connector of the speakers into the rear line-out.
Unless you want full-size speakers, the best speakers you can get are the Yamaha HS8 active speakers. Before buying any speaker though, be sure that your room is properly treated, because an untreated room completely ruins the purpose of an accurate, good speaker. If your room isn't treated, you'd better a get a good pair of open headphone. The best ones are in the 150-250 € range.
>>
>>57141201
Seeing as OP wants presumably passive hi-fi speakers as opposed to active ones he'd be better off getting a more appropriate amp.
>>
>>57142399
never mind I only read the title and first line.

OP your DAC/interface will be irrelevant in terms of driving the speakers because they'll drive themselves.

I personally would advise against monitors if you're purely listening but then again I'd advise against active speakers altogether if you're purely listening and put some time and effort in to matching a smaller amp with some reasonably priced bookshelfs.

Unless you can't get to a proper hi-fi shop I would really recommend taking some music you know well and visiting somewhere, seeing as you have a budget.

For example while I use the yamaha HS80m's in my studio but for listening in my living room I have a denon n4 with dali zensor 1's. visiting a shop allowed me to match them with the denon over something like a q acoustics pair which lacked bite, despite being better reviewed. As such I was able to make a very small and cheap system go as far as the 80w amplifier would allow.

Unless they're cunts the shop people will be happy to help you, they love talking about this shit and you get to use your own ears, which is incredibly important.
>>
>>57140782
>If you're gunna use them in a fairly small room you don't need a sub

haha yeah you just don't need low frequencies at all!

dumb fuck
>>
>>57142805
I'm not the guy you're replying to, but you're either ignorant or you're simply missing the point.
Most active speakers, monitors included, can go as low as 40 Hz, which is plenty for casual listening.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.