[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PC building mistakes accidents thread I bought a great wall

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

PC building mistakes accidents thread

I bought a great wall power supply to save money. It was a great choice given that it fucking destroyed my PC
>>
i bought amd
>>
>>57139879
>buying cheap chink shit
You deserved it
>>
>>57139879
I bought a generic 860w psu for 29aud. Still runs my i5 2500+gtx 670 perfectly fine. No issues yet.
>>
File: intel486-sx547_med.jpg (146KB, 806x400px) Image search: [Google]
intel486-sx547_med.jpg
146KB, 806x400px
When I was a kid, I earned money by buying old computers for dirt cheap (20-30$), adding a used CRT for around the same price, installing a pirated Win 98 and Office 97 and selling it for twice the price. Those were the times.

Anyway, one day I was about to sell this computer, the buyer was on his way, and I don't know what went through my mind but I decided I needed to remove the CPU to clean it or whatever. The CPU was pic related, a 486DX, maybe a Pentium, don't remember. But back then CPUs weren't babyproof like today: there were no indentations or additional/missing pins to guarantee you don't insert it the wrong way. And of course, in the heat of the moment I made that mistake and destroyed the CPU, which lead to loss of inventory and missed business opportunity.
>>
File: ea-750-platinum.png (640KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
ea-750-platinum.png
640KB, 800x800px
I have an Antec EA-750 Platinum. It's a little shorter than most ATX supplies so I had more room for drives. It's 80+ Platinum so it doesn't generate much heat. Been working great more than a year now.
>>
Which one should i get /g/?

Antec neo eco II bronze 650w $105
Antec EarthWatts 650w $130
EVGA GQ 650w gold $130
EVGA G2 650w gold (modular) $150
>>
>Building computer for work
>PSU is too small for case despite both being designed for microATX
>Return cheap chink-made PSU for $5 less than what it cost
>It's company money, whatever
>Buy another from EVGA
>Install everything in the case
>Time to start it up
>Fucking thing won't start
>Only stays on while holding power button, but no boot
>Begin performing every diagnostic I know on the mobo
>Pull out power button connectors and plug them in again
>Pull out every wire one at a time while trying to turn it on, maybe one thing is faulty somehow
>Look at CPU
>Notice I forgot to plug in the fucking cable to power it
>Plug it in, everything is fine
>Installed Windows 10 just to trigger co-workers I don't like (we all have to use it)

So this is why you don't drink excessively every night and work with a hangover.
>>
I used a modular SATA cable from a manufacturer that didn't make my modular power supply. I assumed that there was an established standard.
I lost an SSD and fried the controller board for an HDD. I back my shit up, so the only thing I lost was the hardware.
>>
>>57140049
EVGA G2 650w gold (Modular)
>>
Wanted a corsair h110, had the space at the top width and length however the radiator and fans were too deep so I needed a new case, wasting 2 days I coulda had everything going
>>
>>57140374
This. Got it. It's good.

If you have any questions about power supply quality, you should probably check Jonnyguru: he actually tests them properly, then takes them apart to rate the internal components and layout.

NEVER use a cheapass PSU.
>>
>>57139879
If you're buying cheap parts, you shouldn't put them together with expensive parts.
>>
>>57140477
looks like ill buy it then.
got an fx8150 and a gtx 780 so 650w should be a good amount yeah?
>>
>>57139879
I bought H mobo an an K processor
>>
>>57139879
I bought a dirt cheap 1000w psu for a 600w pc. Overclocked the cpu and gpu.
Psu exploded (very loud bang, smoke, smelled and sounded like fireworks)
everything else was perfectly fine
>>
>>57140068
- that's not what triggering is
- if everybody has to use it, you're not exactly singling out specific people by doing it
>>
>>57140477
If he's not an EE I don't particularly care what he thinks of the insides.
>>
>>57139965

Ugh, I remember swapping out an SX for a DX and when I went to fire it up I got that distinct silicon smell.
>>
File: Untitled.png (187KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
187KB, 800x800px
>>57139879
Corsair actually have some basic PSUs made by Great Wall. Therefore, the OEM also matters, not just the brand.
>>
>get Corsair CX600
>get flamed on /g/ because YOU NEED AN 80+ GOLD AT LEAST LIKE THIS SEASONIC $250 PSU
>three years in, still going strong
>>
>>57139879
Don't cheap out on your PSU next time. Cheap PSUs aren't worth it because they can damage your other components, which means you'll have to spend more in the long run.
>>
File: thermaltake-german-630w-1.jpg (333KB, 1440x960px) Image search: [Google]
thermaltake-german-630w-1.jpg
333KB, 1440x960px
>>57139879
>chinese PSU

Are you suicidal? I only buy German PSUs.
>>
>>57140049
G2, but the Antec earthwatts would also be fine.
>>
>>57142155
I should've made sure first but is 550w or 650w preferable running with my rig:
FX8150
GTX780ghz
>>
File: _RIP7172.jpg (957KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
_RIP7172.jpg
957KB, 1600x1067px
>>57139879
I bought my CPU cooler before I finished deciding on a case.

I ended up taking the fan mounting bracket off the heatsink and zip tying the fan to the heatsink with some rubber grommets to stop vibration.
>>
>>57142212
http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
>>
>>57139879
Goodness gracious great walls of fire
>>
Friend of mine plugged the 8-pin PCI-E cable into the EPS 8-pin CPU socket and fried the motherboard.
>>
>>57142261
How? The plug pins are shaped differently to prevent this.
>>
>>57142227
Got between 500 - 550w load wattage using expert and basic.
So I'm still not really sure what to get.
550 or 650w?
>>
>>57142270
The round-ish connectors will fit into the square socket on the motherboard.
>>
>buy sandy bridge system soon after it came out
>cheap as fuck case
>Motherboard screws won't come out

I'm lucky I've bought a system that just doesn't need upgrading. Only thing that sucks is I can't get a cpu cooler with a backplate.
>>
>>57140068
>Look at CPU
>Notice I forgot to plug in the fucking cable to power it
Literally happens to everyone building a PC, even me
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.