[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

End of desktop?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

File: images-1.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>mfw my phone has more cpu cores than my main rig
>Tfw i only turns on my desktop if i want to play vidya
>For browsing anything, my phone performance is fast enough and acceptable
>Movie and animu? Except 4k vid, nothing my phone cannot play. Plug my 10000mAh and lay down in bed while watching.

Still loves my pc, but why i rarely turns her on again /g/
>>
File: 1476835388965.jpg (27KB, 508x524px) Image search: [Google]
1476835388965.jpg
27KB, 508x524px
>browsing the web on your phone
>watching videos on your phone
>>
>I only turn on my pc if I want to use it
>desktops are finished
>>
The keyboard and workspace are what matter about a desktop, and that should all be resolved eventually when the idea of "convergence" comes back. Ubuntu tried making a phone that, when docked, turns into a full-blown native desktop OS. It's rumored that Microsoft is making a Surface Phone to test the market for that again.
>>
My rig geekbench score 8000
My phone geekbench score 6000

Its over, PC is finished
>>
>>57139405
(Still me)
Performance wouldn't even be an issue either if you could rent/own compute devices that stream their results back to your phone over the network. Look at the weird things people buy for laptops where they can dock and all the sudden have the graphics processing of a GTX 1080 or something.
>>
>>57139405
>The keyboard and workspace are what matter about a desktop

Nope,
Desktop is about performance and customizability. Its basically the point that makes it survive this long
>>
>>57139422
What kind of shit toaster your main rig spec is
>>
>>57139453
See >>57139440
>>
>>57139405
no
>>57139440
no

/thread
>>
Phone UIs are just too hard to use tbqf
>>
>>57139521
which is why you're supposed to talk to it, not paw at it like a spastic
>>
I might just be too old and out of touch

but smartphones and tablets are overrated. I want a keyboard and I don't want oily fingerprints on my screen, and I want my screen to be large
>>
>>57139535
That's even worse
>>
>>57139453
Sorry but loose all performance when you try type something. Steering wheel is important part of this performance that's why people still you firefox with vimperator.
>>57139422
Score of what? You sexually harrasing me?
>>
File: 1476771485265.png (22KB, 275x200px) Image search: [Google]
1476771485265.png
22KB, 275x200px
>>57139549
I find it literally and unironically faster than navigating through a tree of menus + pecking at the virtual keyboard. Sometimes it's even faster than a physical keyboard.
>>
File: Watch-Movies-on-smartphones.jpg (68KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
Watch-Movies-on-smartphones.jpg
68KB, 620x349px
>>57139374
>Tiny fucking screen
>Shitty input system designed for baby fingers that gives no tactile feedback
>Shitty battery that drains within a day of heavy use and is designed to barely last over a year before it starts dying/bloating
>Non-upgradable, if your phone starts feeling less responsive, which it will, you either have to deal with it or drop another 600$ or however much these overpriced pieces of shit go for.
>Having to rely on the whims of Wi-Fi

If you're seriously content watching HD videos and especially movies on a 5" display then you must have abismal standards.
>>
>>57139581
>Sometimes it's even faster than a physical keyboard.
How fucking slow at typing are you? Do you not know any keyboard shortcuts? You know this is /g/, right?
>>
>>57139374
kys retard millennial piece of shit
>>
Well. I think that doing dev shit on a desktop is much more comfy than in my notebook or my phone.
>>
>>57141647
Are you not millenial yourself? Not him btw.
>>
>>57141690
nope I'm genX
>>
>>57139374
>My GPU has more cores than CPU
>End of CPU

this is how retarded you sound.
>>
>>57141479
I watch 1080p vids on my 10.5' tab s (2560x1600, amoled) its good tier, its perfect device to watch hd content

Also I dont own a tv and my computer/monitor is not in my bedroom
>>
>her
>>
>>57141804
I sexually idetify my pc as v-male, yes dont call it female or i'll sue you for misgender my pc
>>
>>57139374
>$800 projector with 140" screen
>$1000 headphones
>120hz 1400p screen w/2.5k rig

Still watch my anime on my phone. It's just too comfy.
>>
>>57139374
For productivity, a keyboard is still king. And personally, I resent watching videos in a 5" screen knowing I'd be better with my laptop or desktop.
>>
>>57141743
Tablets are fine; we're obviously talking about mobile phones here.
>>
>>57139374
Ubuntu phone would probably be nice, you can dock it to make a desktop computer out of it. That way you are using your phone but can still get a bigger screen and everything.
>>
>>57139374
Good riddance. Desktop computers consume 50 times more energy than phones and are much difficult to recycle or dispose when they get old and unusable.

It's only a matter of time people make more and more productivity programs in ARM32 or ARM64 instead of x86 or x64; and emulators start to widespread to support "legacy" programs.

>>57139537
Lightweight computers should be an alternative then. There are plenty of Linux distros besides Android already.
>>
I watch anime on my phone, because my family members often comes in without knocking (my family have rules that room doors shall never be locked). It will be too awkward if they bust me watch oreimo or kiniro mozaic
>>
>>57141728
t-this is bait, right?
>>
>>57141873
>Hey big bro
>Why you download a cartoon named "my little sister cant be this cute"?
>Im not cute enough for you big bro?
>>
>>57139374
But anon! portable devices will always lag behind desktop master race in terms of specs. You just need to think about all the applications and gamu's that require a good rig.
>>
Touchscreens are shit. They have no tactile feedback and you pretty much have to look at them in order to use them. They also lack fine precision or pressure sensitivity.
>>
>>57139374
>phones
Laptops are more likely to replace desktops. You get all the commodity of a desktop (keyboard + mouse, stronger hardware) and all the benefits of a mobile device (portable, no need to plug it into a wall to work). This is much better than having a large box in your room you can't even take anywhere. Phones may be getting better but they're far away from actual PC performance, even by 2010 PC standards.
The only way a smartphone would replace PC is if >>57139440 happens (cloud computing services). There's already a browser which works like this (forgot the name, puffin? maybe). Or >>57139405, as Ubuntu phones tried, but this wouldn't be replacing a PC instead it's just booting from your phone as the primary drive. Unless they're actually thinking of using the phone's hardware which is a bad idea right now.
>>
>>57139374
You can't program productively on a phone. Hell if you can do more than fizzbuzz on a tablet. Need at least two monitors for full efficiency.
>>
File: 1242905837338.png (315KB, 936x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1242905837338.png
315KB, 936x2448px
>>57141873
>>
I migrated primary to my phone, I just stopped browsing the internet almost entirely. I use clover for 4chan and mainly use chrome to look at redflagdeals.

It's like the internet is fucking dead. I've seen everything I don't care. I use my 4.5ghz i5 desktop mainly to chat and play the odd game.

A big phone is just comfy. I see the reduction of internet use as a positive thing.
>>
>>57139440
>cloud computing
Bandwidth is more expensive than capacity and processing power. And that looks to be the trend for the foreseeable future.
>>
>>57142326
>need two monitors
Terrible programmer who does nothing but use other people's code all day detected.
>>
File: image.jpg (166KB, 946x1054px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
166KB, 946x1054px
>manchildren stop buying PCs
>PCs become tools again
>they start painting them beige
Feels good man
>>
I will give you the fact that it's an alright consumption machine which actually has its own advantages.
However, the moment you're actually trying to produce something with it is the moment you understand the desktop/laptop won't go away any time soon.
And honestly, even as a consjmption machine it's got its problems.
>TOUCHSCREENS
>overall inferior performance, for hardware reasons
>so the vidya is all shit too, in body and spirit (and gaming is a pretty major industry today, not going away any time soon)
>I hate touchscreens. Touchscreens suck for typing. They suck for any game that wasn't designed explicitly for it, and it limits those games with its shittiness. They suck for actually using them to move around an app, and apps have to be designed around it so that touchscreens don't suck as much at that.
>every major mobile OS has subpar design and tons of issues, compared to them Windows with all its baggage seems like a work of genius, and all the ones with alright and actually efficient design have zero market share
>planned obsolence is the name of the game, unless you use Android and go Cyanogenmod. You can't go Cyanogenmod on some devices, if you have a locked bootloader
>maybe touchscreens could be actually good if everyone could depend on them to be higher than a certain quality standard, I dunno. I'm not sure how much the problems are fundamental limitations, and how much is it nobody knowing how to use them.
If they can overcome all these problems, and the maje it suitable for actual work, maybe I would actually consider dropping my laptop for my tablet. If it at any point feels likeba superior experience, I would be pretty likely to consider it. Good luck to them on that one.
>>
>>57142204
What are a using that you don't have to look at a screen, a fucking typewriter?
>>
>>57139374
27" phone when?
>>
>>57139405
Turn the phone into a PC to kill the PC...who cares if it's a tiny PC if it's a PC? Personal Computer. No one cares about the form factor, they care about being able to do the things they want to do. Much ado about nothing.
>>
>>57142778
The PC form factor will always have more power than a phone form factor. Form over function? No thanks.
>>
>>57142734
Ever heard of this little thing called touch typing, or ergonomics?
>>
>>57142407
>a big phone is just comfy
Its meant to be portable tho, what's the point of wielding a 5.7" phone which is, no matter how you put it, less portable than a 4.7-5" phone.

>not portable enough to be truly convenient
>not big enough to be truly useful
So you can't just throw it into /any/ pocket without worry that lifting your leg or sitting down bends it and neither can you work at the speed of a desktop, what the fuck is the point?
>>
File: battlestation_interesting.jpg (232KB, 1281x917px) Image search: [Google]
battlestation_interesting.jpg
232KB, 1281x917px
>>57143042
I tend to agree. However I've done lots of serious work on a 10 inch netbook. The keyboard and desktop Windows manager made the difference, IMO. Not the actual size.
>>
>>57143110
window manager*
Fucking touchscreen keyboard. The irony is staggering.
>>
>>57139374
>rig

You belong in /v/
>>
>>57142734
If you're not retarded you can type without looking on an actual keyboard.
>>
>>57139391
>browsing the web on your phone
Portrait mode
You browse the web in 16:9 and not in glorious 9:16?
>>
>>57143398
What are you typing into that doesn't have a screen? did you post this from a fucking metal box connected directly to this thread.
>>
>>57143037
Oh what you mean typing WHILE ONLY LOOKING AT THE SCREEN.
>>
>>57143110
>>57143119
Lol. I have a 8.9" hybrid and its useful for basic stuff and media consumption when travelling but really and truly I just want my fugging desktop at the end of the day to do real work, there's no comparison to a huge screen, dank full size keyboard (God bless numpads), mouse and such speed.

I hate the touchscreen keyboard on tablets, they're seriously too big to type anything more than a single google search.
>>
>>57142240
Mini-ITX cases don't take that much room though, and you'll still want a separate mouse and maybe mechanical keyboard for more comfort
>>
>>57139374
opposite here, i have 6p and 2 iphones and 3 7"tablets which hardly get any use at all i am always on my 13" ultrabook 99% if the time

using phones with tiny shit screen for anything other than talking and texting and navigation and on the go music player and remote apps is for fucking plebs
>>
>>57143561
Yeah. Sometimes I even do it while my eyes are focused on other things.
>>
holeee shiet my phone has 4k screen but pc into the 1080p trash it goes then i guess. phones are a good alt but can ultimately never replace a fucking comfy pc.
>>
>>57143498
>implying I don't have my monitors in portrait mode
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.