[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Windows Phone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7

File: Lumia.jpg (78KB, 1020x676px) Image search: [Google]
Lumia.jpg
78KB, 1020x676px
What went so fucking wrong?
>>
>>57136816
No apps
>>
>>57136820
But why?
>>
I was so close to getting a windows phone too. That lumia was a fine piece of tech. But damn there wasn't shit to do on it.
>>
i have the 930. It is still smooth on w10 except when it has to boot up. no apps like anon said. hoping for a surface phone to take its place.
>>
>>57136816
severe mismanagement all the way up to the top, pic related. instead of improving the software & making it a good platform, they spent billions acquiring parts of nokia in a failed bid to play catch-up to apple

>>57136850
windows 8 was fucked in so many ways, ios and android are already frustrating enough to develop for, the world didn't need yet another complicated and proprietary set of mobile APIs
>>
>>57136850
Because devs think the OS is not worth their time. Im posting this from a windows phone. Facebook messenger works barely. Whatsapp is dropping support end of this year. There are no alternatives to bing maps/edge browser and other vaious microsoft apps.
>>
>>57136850
WP7 was kind of shit, WP8 was good, so is 10, but in many ways, not nearly as good as 8. MS scared a lot of people off with Windows 8/8.1 who could have developed for WP.

In all honestly the platform (windows in general) wasn't very sexy at the time, and they kept targeting the lower end of the market.

No support from devs, especially in SV. I bet you'd be laughed out of the room if you said you wanted your app to be on Windows Phone and were looking for VC money.

At one point, there was Snapchat, but it was a third-party client and it got banned. The situation honestly isn't too bad now. Only missing Snapchat and Pokemon Go.

I hear they're very nice to deploy especially if you're a windows shop though.
>>
>>57137010
WP was dead long before steveb bought out nokia. There was never a good reason to use it.

Android: google services, cheap phones. AOSP fuels china
iOS: luxury brand, app makers can actually make money
WP: a quality mail and calendar app? that's it
>>
>>57136850
Because micro$oft fucked the developer community over so many times that they won't write soft for the fuckers even with a long stick.
>>
>>57137086
Best exchange and SharePoint support.

>>57137038
Windows 10 universal apps. It's starting to get better.
>>
>>57137086
>a quality mail and calendar app?
And cheap phones
>>
>>57136816
it runs windows
>>
>>57136816
>what went wrong
Windows
>>
File: 1471122102470.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1471122102470.gif
3MB, 480x270px
Didn't come quick enough to sweep up all the poo's.
>>
>>57137358
>that gif
>>
>>57137086
>iOS: luxury brand, app makers can actually make money
Well said, iPajeet!
Apple has 10% marketshare because 10% of the human population is gay. It's the homo broadcaster phone.
>>
>>57137010
>>57137086
Aren't C# and Java the same?
>>
>>57137018
>Whatsapp is dropping support end of this year.
What, read that on Windows Central or something ?
>>
>>57136816
Killed by Nutella
>>
>>57136816

I used a Lumia 640 for awhile. It was the most frustrating period of my life with regards to technology.

1) Completely useless animations. Rather than indicating that something was happening, they actually DISTRACTED from what you were doing. Like, I get it if you're swiping left or right, animate the screen swipe. But if I tap a button, don't make the fucking screen swipe randomly to the left to show the new screen. What the fuck is that about?

2) Resuming... Resuming... Resuming... Resuming... Resuming... Resuming... Every fucking time I switched apps it just animated "Resuming..." for several seconds. It made life a living hell if you wanted to jump between the web browser and sending a text message, for example.

3) Almost everything else. It's just a clumsy, shitty OS.
>>
Worst phone I have ever had. Now I have a iPhone 6 and haven't had a single problem yet
>>
File: 1476376928726.jpg (24KB, 353x269px) Image search: [Google]
1476376928726.jpg
24KB, 353x269px
>>57138711
>iPhone
>>
>>57138683
>Every fucking time I switched apps it just animated "Resuming..." for several seconds
Let me guess, windows 10 mobile?
>>
>>57138837

Yeah. Oh, were we discussing specifically pre-10 Windows Phone?
>>
>>57139022
No but win 10 and Lumia 640 are a bad couple
>>
>>57136816
Microsoft didn't provide a single compelling reason for using this.
>>
>>57136820
Yeah, it's all down to lack of support. Hardware is good, build quality is nearly as good as apple, price is very competitive, the actual O's is well layed out... It's just no one publishes to it.
>>
>>57137086
>WP: a quality mail and calendar app?
It was the reason I got that phone for, nigga
>>
>>57136816
Nothing, I'm using a Lumia 950 and W10M works pretty well desu.
>>
Long time wp user here. What apps am I missing exactly? Banking, stock exchange, news feeds, socmedia, games, gym, music... All work fine on my 930.
>>
>>57140783
Fart apps, GayFinder, beJEWeled holocaust shekel edition
>>
>>57137086
This. If you are developing an app, first do Android, then iOS, and if you are swimming in cash, you might as well do wp.

The ONLY way to save windows phones is to make the "business phone" leveraging microsoft's market dominance in enterprise pcs. Essentially what blackberry was years ago, but on steroids. Integrate Skype, HARD. Want to get into homes? Xbone integration.

But this won't happen, it would make too much money.
>>
>>57137018
>Facebook messenger works barely.

False. The Facebook app that comes pre-installed with Windows 10 Mobile is outdated. You need to install a new version from the store, which is nearly identical to the Android version and works fine.

>>57137018
>Whatsapp is dropping support end of this year.

False as well. Whatsapp is dropping support for Windows 7.1 or earlier, among other older platforms.

Here's the official statement: https://blog.whatsapp.com/10000617/WhatsApp-support-for-mobile-devices

Anyway, currently using a 950 XL and despite all the claims that the phone runs smoothly, I must say it's also false, at least in my case. Whatsapp for instance, takes a while to open for the first time, and even when it's open in the background, switching from another app to it displays an annoying "resuming..." message, which takes like 5 seconds to disappear. I also noticed that after several hours in stand by, if the phone is awaken, I no longer get signal/no data connection. Rebooting the phone is the only way to get signal back up. Groove music glitches and crashes when I touch "Songs" to display my song list. Everything else working fine, but it's sad that Windows 10 Mobile with anniversary update is still this buggy.
>>
>>57140480
What do businesses or business people use it for?
>>
>>57141764
>Xbone integration.

There's Xbox integration. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-app
>>
I have a lumia 530 windows 8 moblie

support is dropped on all the major apps the only good things i use it for every day are

1080p videos
internet banking
email
cards games /board games general
Music
calling people and texting people

that is all really
there is no real function its even less useable then andriod or IOS
ironically IOS and android are natively supported in my country but WP is not.

If mircosaft wants to get good in NZ again they need to get apps out side of ebay and amazon
to trademe and plentyoffish auction sites as alot of NZ's population shop there.

as for the rest of the world more music codex would be nice like support for Mp3's and MP4 extendions
>>
>>57141785
same, I get blank screens on whatsapp all the time, sometimes I unlock my phone and the touchpad doesn't work, errmm, only a few apps, HOWEVER clould services like onenote drive and all works semalessly

SURFACE PHONE anyone? Imma get one as soon as it comes out.
>>
>>57136816
Leg tiles look like autistic hipster BS.

Microsoft UI """EXperts""" don't understand that fads fade.
>>
>>57141785
>facebook app
im talking about the messenger app not the whole facebook app
>>
>>57141862
Which is also false information. Messenger got updated last month. Also, check out the system requirements, they will not support Windows 7.1 Mobile either https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/messenger/9wzdncrf0083#system-requirements
>>
>>57141856
It's the best looking, most useable mobile OS by far.
>>
>>57142275
LOL
>>
>>57142635
Why lol?
>>
>>57136816
Poo CEO killed it. When 8.1 was released and a bunch of new lumia came out people starting to like the platform but Microsoft suddenly dropped Windows phone 8.1, delayed Windows 10 mobile, no new phone or what so ever for a very long time. When Windows 10 mobile finally come out it was a buggy beta piece of shits, new flagship lumia look like shits compare to previous gens so everybody just walk away.
>>
>>57136850
Came late to the market hence started with a tin userbase.
Tiny userbase means that it's hard to get decent money for your work creating apps.
Lack of apps stops people from buying so the market doesn't grow.
Developers see the market hasn't grown and deem the platform irredeemably unprofitable and dont't develop for it.
Rinse and repeat.
>>
>>57136816

Ex Windows Phone app developer here. MS support didn't give 3 shits about their own platform. When you have the app ready to go, it takes ~5 times more time and effort to upload and release it to Windows Store, compared to Google or Apple stores. Dev support is a joke. Combined with .5% market share and final revenue, our company decided to ditch that shit.
Also, Windows Runtime (=framework for apps on Windows Store) is way more closed than Android or iOS. Only good about Windows Runtime (=framework for apps on Windows Store) is that you can write one app and it will literally run on WPhone, PC and Xbox.
I'm making web pages now, everyone needs that crap. Easy money
Cheers
>>
File: wp_ss_20161019_0001.png (41KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20161019_0001.png
41KB, 540x960px
>>57142230
This is the log in ui of messenger. Rotating screen doesnt help, keyboard doesnt appear.
>>
>>57143225
thats just payback, adolf
>>
File: Fresh Paint-2016.10.19-03.38.23.jpg (76KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Fresh Paint-2016.10.19-03.38.23.jpg
76KB, 960x540px
>>57143249
This is how it looks once you manage to log in after 42 attempts there is no way to see the names of people on the left side

Also theres no simple paint app so i had to use some weird brush from fresh paint to cover stuff
>>
Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 mobile?
>>
Shitting hard on first generation users. They abandoned the few people who bought into it and so destroyed the little confidence they had.
>>
>>57143225
>>57143291
>540x960

Just how fucking old is your device?
>>
>>57144085
Win 7
>>
>>57143291
>>57143225
>German
>using old garbage
>"why my shit not work???"

Gee Hans, I dunno!
>>
>>57143580
im still on 8.1 on my 930. i cant really take the plunge to shift to 10
>>
>>57136816
No apps and microsoft doesn't even give a shit.
That actually makes me a bit sad, it's the best platform i've ever used on a phone. It's locked down, sure, but as a result everything is smooth, UI doesn't clash between apps, responsive and nice RAM management.
No apps may be a dealbreaker for many people, but if Microsoft made their phones geared to business/enterprise it would probably have took off by now.
Still love my 1020 on 8.1, and i actually, unironically, upgraded to 10 TWICE, one time normally to 10586 and the other by registry mods to redstone, but in both cases bad battery life of the 1020 + everything buggy meant that my phone became a battery-draining portable oven.
>>
As closed off as the iPhone, but without the good software design and build quality.
Only apple can get away with that shit.
>>
File: 1476857086758.png (436KB, 538x420px) Image search: [Google]
1476857086758.png
436KB, 538x420px
>>57146279
>Lumia phones
>no build quality
>>
>>57142738
Not him but maybe because you can make your Android work and look anyway you want?
>>
>>57146570
fucking this man those phones are solid as fuck.

Hilarious that MS paid bazooples of dollars just to force a solid phone manufacturer out of business... why couldn't lumia phones catch on??? :(
>>
>>57146765
sorry I should say out of business with them, considering Nokia is still around and making non windows phones kek
>>
>>57143580
I want to say 10mobile, but unless you're invested in the UWP platform and have 10 on your daily driver, there's really no point in putting up with W10M's introduced sluggishness
>>
>>57136816
Had L820 for three years. Got wet.
Currently using a nokia dump phone for few months.
Getting my new L820 next week.
Phone had some much free useful apps.
Haven't felt any lack of apps on store.
It is 10/10 phone.
>>
>>57136850
"Hey let's have our own proprietary stack that doesn't reuse anything from the other platforms".

It would've gone better if they had started with their later killed off projects that allowed easy porting of Android and iOS apps.
>>
>>57148501
>It would've gone better if they had started with their later killed off projects that allowed easy porting of Android and iOS apps.

no it wouldn't, then we'd be forced to used poorly coded emulators to run laggy android garbage that doesn't gel with the OS
>>
>>57148727
This
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.