[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened when you pressed the turbo button?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0085.jpg (56KB, 1200x794px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0085.jpg
56KB, 1200x794px
What happened when you pressed the turbo button?
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_button
>>
>>57136603
On most custom-built or no-name PC's, nothing, because they were just on the case and never hooked up. On OEM PC's such as Gateway, they would slow down the CPU to something along the lines of 8 MHz to allow older programs to run properly. Many programs, such as old games, would run unplayably fast on a 3 or 486. So the turbo button ironically slowed the system down to a 286-level speed so they could run properly.
>>
>>57136640
Cool. I didn't know this. I used to have that button. I never pressed it because I had it in my head that the machine would like take off or something.
>>
it went turbo.
>>
>>57136603
CPU came with auto-turbo.
>>
>>57136731
No such thing existed. But starting in the mid-90s, or on some budget model PC's, many OEM's dropped the turbo button in favour of a key combination.
>>
>>57136603
Turbo button is fixing shitty programmers jobs.
>>
File: max-power-simpsons80s.jpg (103KB, 930x540px) Image search: [Google]
max-power-simpsons80s.jpg
103KB, 930x540px
Added 150% coolness to the CPU calculations
>>
>>57136978
Don't you mean 20%?
>>
>>57136984
>Don't you mean 20%?
Easy to add 150% because there wasn't much to start with.
>>
>>57136640
>On most custom-built or no-name PC's, nothing, because they were just on the case and never hooked up.
Yeah, absolute bullshit. Nearly every pre-Pentium whitebox board was equipped with a turbo switch header, you likely had either an upgraded system or simply a later system built in a case that was also made to fit 486-class boards that shipped with turbo headers until Socket 3 died in 1997.

For OEMs, the opposite is true, most big names ditched the turbo switch after the AT era and did it in software (if they did it at all) barring a few holdouts like Gateway that were pretty much just selling whitebox parts anyway, smaller OEMs did often ship systems with turbo switches however.

Please stop trying to act old on the internet.
>>
>>57136603
It did the opposite of turbo. Turbo was usually the default mode, and it meant the CPU ran at the speed it was sold as. Pushing the button switched the speed to ~4 MHz, the same as the original IBM PC. It was used if you wanted to play some old games (and some other software) that were coded to use fixed numbers of clock cycles for timing instead of using a timer interrupt.
>>
it actually slowed your cpu
>>
why do modern cpus have turbo mode? my i7 can go turbo on all 4 cores and i'm liek WHOOOOOOOAAAAAAA SLOW DOWN MISTER but it won't
>>
File: Clipboard01.png (55KB, 1202x666px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.png
55KB, 1202x666px
>>57138840
>WHOOOOOOOAAAAAAA SLOW DOWN MISTER but it won't
That can be arranged. 100 MHz here. This is literally worse than Windows 98 on a 386.

Don't miss next thread: help im stuck at 100mhz how do i get it to go fast again
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.