[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redmi: MIUI vs CM?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

I fell for the redmeme and I'm glad I did

But what are the pros and cons re: MIUI vs CM? Why should one make the switch to CM?

I love the look of the basic MIUI apps, with its unified theme and each app having a similar design, similar logos but a diferent color..

From what I understand CM looks uglier but allows more customization? So is it possible to use MIUI apps on CM, or to make it look as good, customizing icons, menus (font, header, colors), etc.?
>>
CM has stock android experience and the built-in root manager which are pretty good.

but iirc (not sure about this) the fingerprint reader doesn't work and Full disk encryption is broken.
>>
Cm has many themes
The problem with miui is updates are pretty slow and has a lot of bloat
If you want the stock Android feel better to flash cm
>>
>>57135691
What phone?
>>
File: Screenshot_20161019-002538.png (107KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161019-002538.png
107KB, 1080x1920px
I liked MIUI but I want a more recent version of android. CM isn't ugly after some minimal tweaking thanks to themes.

>>57135772
Fingerprints work but support is flaky depending on which sensor you have
>>
>>57136052
Just so you know miui has been updated to 6.0
>>
Cm is lighter weight. It boots cold in like 5-7 seconds on the note 3 pro. Miui takes 20 seconds to turn OFF. Idk, cm seems faster.
>>
>>57137378
>Miui takes 20 seconds to turn OFF

I don't think that's normal.
>>
>>57135691
>chink trash
Get a Nexus and install Dirty Unicorns you poorfag.
>>
>>57137986
>no microsd slot
ebin
>>
>>57137963
it is. Mine also takes forever to power on or off.
>>
>>57135691
MIUI is pretty bloated and overly-aggressive about things like battery saving. Unfortunately, it doesn't want you changing things to fix them. There's an outstanding problem where it dozes cell and wireless Internet services, so you don't receive calls or Internet service notifications.

On the other hand, CM mostly complete, but doesn't make use of the latest blobs from the official MIUI ROMs. So a couple of things that should work don't for no apparent reason. It's better in every other respect, I think, but it's still a little bit odd at times.

You could always give the Xiaomi.eu ROMs a shot to see if they suit you better.
>>
Any european bros rocking the redmi? If so you using kenzo or kate?

Is it worth even buying a case or screen protector?
>>
>>57138288
>otg/sd card case
ftw
>>
>>57142242
I have a Kenzo, only one carrier uses the band 20 in my country, so it works like a charm
I have the flip cover, but the magnet only works with MIUI
>>
>>57143097
>using a case
>killing aesthetics and thinness because gorillas can't stop dropping their phones
If you're going to make your device thicker at least put something useful there like a bigger battery.
>>
Can someone with an Xiaomi.eu ROM look in the task manager if something called /whetstone/ is active?
It's Xiaomi's botnet
>>
File: Screenshot_20161019-174941.png (303KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161019-174941.png
303KB, 1080x1920px
Pic related on Kenzo with Official CM13 10/10/16 nightly, stable as fuck, nothing ever force closes and I have no random reboots and overall it's an amazing experience, I'd recommend CM over MIUI any day, I get 10 hours of screen on time with just WiFi and 6-8 if I use 4G LTE and WiFi (mixed usage) and if i just use 4G all day I'll only get about 5 hours of SOT, standby is great as well, I get around 1-2% drain over night (these stats are all with me using Greenify with shallow hibernation enabled)
All hardware works if you have a device that was from the first batch - my camera works flawlessly and on par to MIUI, my FP sensor works faster than MIUI in some cases and the accuracy is exactly the same, all my sensors work and I get a GPS lock on in around 5-10 seconds (depends if I'm indoors or outdoors).

As for kernels - I use the stock CM kernel, I tried out EX Kernel which was great because it had dt2w and Sound Control which allowed me to pump loud sound out of my device (without damaging speakers) when I wanted to - the reason why i switched back to stock kernel though was because the screen had wakeup issues with the power button and etc, I also tried EX Kernel without dt2w and the issue persisted.

I've pinned this thread so feel free to ask my any questions.
>>
>>57144081
Is >>57135772 right by saying that Full-Disk encryption doesn't work with CM?

It's the only thing keeping me out of buying the RN3P, I'm not carrying a portable device with personal info in it that's not encrypted.
>>
>>57142242
Got a kate, still waiting for more people to report on where to find proper kate cases and glass
>>
>>57144081
What do you mean first batch? Am I fucked if I buy now?

I was going to buy a month ago but a couple anons kept posting about charging problems. Saw another post about a guy who's died after 2 months.

How long have you had it? What site did you use
>>
File: Screenshot_20161019-183235.png (397KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161019-183235.png
397KB, 1080x1920px
>>57144121
Full Disk Encryption does not work out of the box, you need the CM Specific TWRP recovery and not the one from twrp's website, after that you need to format /data to be able to be used as f2fs and then you can enable disk encryption I think, although you should double check this on XDA or somewhere because I don't use encryption (for FS performance reasons) so I wouldn't know.

>>57144254
Essentially yes, there's a whole wave of users who have a Batch 2 FP sensor called goodix_fp and it still does not work in official CM, you need to use an unofficial fork of CM with Kernel + ROM patches to allow Goodix to work, then there's a 3rd batch of FP sensors that just completely dont work as far as I recall.
There are also different cameras and the 2nd batch don't work all the time, they are hit or miss on official CM and then there's different display types, although this does not really matter since they all work, just dt2w won't work since devs have only really set it up properly for Batch 1 displays, 2nd batch won't work properly as i recall, overall if you don't purchase a Batch 1 device your going to be constantly looking for patched ROM's and Kernels and etc

I bought mine from eBay (if you are buying from ebay - get in touch with the seller and make sure it's a snapdragon variant)
A tip on getting a Batch 1 device now would be: Purchase the Gold colored ones since those are the least purchased and least manufactured so the place your buying from might give you one that's from the first batch back when they received those, then slap a case on top of it and it shouldn't be much of a color issue, or if you like gold then of course even more reason to get one in that colour.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.