[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gentoo as first distro

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: 3c9.png (255KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
3c9.png
255KB, 1440x900px
From what you guys say, linux sounds pretty cool. I'm thinking about installing Gentoo. Any of you guys jump off the deep end and install Gentoo as your first distro?
>>
>>57135514
You might as well, if you don't know what you're doing at all then how is one thing harder then another? Besides, the guide goes step by step anyway, anyone who can follow simple instructions can do it.

If you really want to learn about Linux do Linux From Scratch.
>>
>>57135514
>install Gentoo as your first distro?
2 year old gentoo user here.
If you only used windows before then I wouldn't recommend it

But who knows. Maybe you're a genious and can figure it out everything at first install.

If you just want to try Linux in a desktop then just go with ubuntu, xubuntu, lubuntu or kubuntu. Look at images of those and choose the one you like the most

have fun
>>
>>57135949
Ubuntu Mate is best Ubuntu
>>
>>57135514
My first operating system was Linux From Scratch that I programmed in machine language designed and compiled in pure binary code, in only 1s and 0s.

Step your game up, mein negger.
>>
>>57135949
>2 year old gentoo user here
You must be a genius being able to install gentoo as a toddler.
>>
>>57135514
My first linux was in the late 90s and it was Slackware. The installation process was a fucking nightmare of a million discs and errors. Modern Gentoo would be trivial by comparison. Just free up a few hours of your day before bed and go at it. Base goes up pretty quickly if you can follow instructions, compiling your initial desktop will be done when you wake up.
>>
>>57135514
Start with ubuntu , its not bad and it can get you used to linux and than try gentoo or arch
>>
>>57136438
Ubuntu was my first Linux distro, back in 2005. I use Arch now, that's where I'm at in level of Linux competance. I installed Ubuntu this year just to experience it with the knowledge I now have of Linux as an Archer, and I find Ubuntu just horrible for a lot of reasons. But as an introduction to Linux, that's what it's useful for.
>>
Install Arch Linux. You will learn so much about Linux by doing so, because you build your OS from Linux commands. You'll learn a lot
>>
Don't
Start with Ubuntu/Mint
First get the hang of the terminal and how the system works (everything is a file, /bin, etc.).
Then I'd probably switch to Debian/Manjaro or somethingn like that.
If you then still feel the need to get real 1337, consider Arch or Gentoo (Gentoo is harder) or even LFS.
It might seem as if Gentoo is the king and holy grail of the Linux world, but it isn't.
I only recently started playing with Arch and I've been using Linux for years now, you shouldn't feel like you're missing something.
Plus it's gonna be a bitch assuming you're gonna dual-boot
>>
>>57136631
>It might seem as if Gentoo is the king and holy grail of the Linux world, but it isn't.

I've been on Gentoo for about two years and I'd say it's a grail of sorts. Once you acclimate to a source distro and flags the alternatives feel really proscribed by comparison. That and it's really the only established distro that's using a non-systemd init by default.
>>
>>57136679
That's not what I meant
It just seemed to me like he felt like the other Distros are just preperation for Gentoo and that it's the goal of every Linux user.
>>
>>57136715
>implying it shouldn't be
Jokes aside, I don't think there's any harm in getting butt-blasted by a failed gentoo install so long as he knows that process isn't representative of other distros.
>>
>>57136679
>it's really the only established distro that's using a non-systemd init by default
What is Slackware, what is Void?
>>
I think I installed slackware first and had no idea what I was doing

then I installed ubuntu and ran it on my laptop for a while

then i installed debian and found it it wasn't any different than ubuntu so I didn't bother. surprisingly their documentation was less useful than arch or gentoo wiki

then I installed arch linux on my laptop--went back to windows, then arch on a local server, then a remote server, raspberry pi, now back on the laptop

I guess you should just try stuff until you find what you like
>>
Why do you want to run Linux? If it's to learn Unix you are better off running an illumos distro (openindiana is good) The liveCD will check your system for driver compatibility before you install. And after you get it installed you get binaries for POSIX, UC Berkely BSD and GNU. You will learn more on that system than following a copy n' paste guide.
>>
>>57135949
>If you only used windows before then I wouldn't recommend it
>But who knows. Maybe you're a genious and can figure it out
>you have to be a genius to 'figure out' gentoo

Can't make this shit up.
>>
>>57135514
Gentoo was the first Linux distro I ever installed on a/my machine. I do not regret it.
>>
Arch was the first distro I've installed, and I regret that I didn't install Gentoo instead.
>>
>>57137000
This has to be the most retarded advice I've ever seen.

Nothing you listed is legally or technically speaking even UNIX to begin with anyways.
>>
>>57137354
OpenIndiana is the continuation of OpenSolaris (ie Solaris 10) I don't even know where to begin that you don't think Solaris is Unix or UNIX
>>
>>57135514
install gentoo
>>
>>57137354
OpenSolaris is a descendant of the UNIX System V Release 4 (SVR4) code base developed by Sun and AT&T in the late 1980s. It is the only version of the System V variant of UNIX available as open source
>>
>>57135514
just do it.
>>
Gentoo was my first distro and I installed it for the first time just a couple months ago. The difficulty stuff is mostly a meme; the installation guide pretty much leads you through step by step, and if any hiccups you might run into can usually be resolved by reading the Gentoo wiki page on the offending package, in my experience. Or just ask a question on the forums.
>>
>>57135514
Just did that last week, if you know hot to use computers then you're good to go.
>>
>>57135514

Install Funtoo instead!
>>
File: happy-ba-dum-tss.png (30KB, 300x258px) Image search: [Google]
happy-ba-dum-tss.png
30KB, 300x258px
>>57138648
Because is more fun right?
>>
>>57138648
the guy that created funtoo doesn't even use funtoo.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.