[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>He didn't fall for the ssd meme

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

File: Samsung.png (98KB, 980x720px) Image search: [Google]
Samsung.png
98KB, 980x720px
>He didn't fall for the ssd meme
>>
>>57129768
>wasting money on unnecessary comfort
This is not how you become rich, kid.
>>
>>57129793
It's not about the money, it's about the megabytes per second
>>
File: 1444845716642.jpg (3KB, 125x94px) Image search: [Google]
1444845716642.jpg
3KB, 125x94px
>>57129793
Time is money, slick.

Maybe you'll learn that one day.
>>
>>57129768

They are SMB-tier drives. If you do real work with your computer that involves moving around GiB/s of data. They are worth every penny.

If you just do silly gayming and posting on shitty imageboards. The drives are fucking overkill and a waste of your hard earn cash.
>>
>replaced my dying HDD on my 5 year old ThinkPad with an SSD

meh
Yeah it's a little more responsive when loading programs or whatever.

But it's nothing major, nothing experience changing.
On the other side, I have less space, had to change a few Windows settings (page file etc), and eventually when I'm done with it, I won't be able to physically wipe it like an HDD. Trim isn't the same as wiping an HDD with DBAN. Great.

tl;dr:
It's ok but next time I'm going back to HDD.
>>
>>57129844
Really? Wow! This changes everything!
Meanwhile in real life nobody gives a shit. People are more busy having sex and traveling around the world than caring about some meaningless numbers for autismal basement dwellers.
God damnit what am I doing here.
>>
File: safety_be_damned.png (16KB, 440x401px) Image search: [Google]
safety_be_damned.png
16KB, 440x401px
>not just buying 32GB of RAM and building a RAM disk
>>
>>57130094
if that isn't important why aren't you running a 5400RPM hard drive?
>>
>>57129768
I really have no use for moving 3.5GB/s.
>>
File: Capture.png (85KB, 665x597px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
85KB, 665x597px
>>57130153
who said I'm not?
>>
>>57130253
>poor person from a poor country has to try to brag about sex and traveling to feel better about not being able to afford nice things
kek
>>
>>57129768
All of those products are ssds
>>
>>57130361
>valuing resources and money = being poor
Nice logic you got there, aspie.
When was the last time you had sex?
>>
>>57130408
if you need to value less than 500 bucks you are a poor fuck
>>
>>57130253
why would you subject yourself to this in year 2016?
How long does it take you to unpack a 4gb or more archive? 10 minutes? I find having it unpack in less than a minute way more convinient and worth extra cost
                                                                                                                           a maryja zawsze kurwa[/spoiler]
>>
>>57130454
Do the math. 110MB/s read, 90MB/s write.
>>57130439
Great logic kid! You sure told me!
Brb gonna buy myself a nice 1TB Samsung LEWD edition SSD that I'm going to utilize in 1%
>>
>>57130493
>peak values
>constant
l
o
l
>>
>>57130493
you can literally buy decent 250GB SSDs for pocket change nowadays

skip a few pierogis and you'll be able to afford it
>>
>>57130094
>Who cares about this nerd shit bro! Just get laid bro! Just travel and meet people bro! lol, who cares about tech on a tech forum! *Crying with laughter emoji*
>>
>>57130538
>not being able to do the math properly
Silence yourself, fool
>>
>>57130559
>nerd shit
Indeed. Noone who has normal social relations gives a fuck. It works fast enough? It has enough space? It doesn't drain the power like your mother drains cum from strangers?
Then it's all a sane person needs.
>>
>>57130560
you sure told me

there's a reason why 5400rpm drives are considered to be poverty tier, to the point where you can find them only in the worst of the worst walmart laptops
>>
>>57130392
HDDs didn't even make it on the list.
>>
>>57130633
4200rpm drives and eMMC cards are considered as poverty tier. 5400RPM drives are fine for non-gaymur machines meant to only browse the internet and play music.
You simply cannot point a single reason why I should waste 400% more money on SSD. Muh faster boot times and muh 1 second faster window animations doesn't count.
>what is sleep state
>what is caching to ram
Also enjoy your corrupted and unrecoverable data when the controller inside your autism-tier SSD dies. :^)
I'm not even mentioning malware that is infecting drives with firmware upgrade options. This means all SSDs and almost no HDDs.
>>
>>57130135
Yeah, isn't it cheaper to just host your OS+whatever else as required in RAM than these SSDs, and have higher throughput as well? Only reason to have these SSDs is if you need to move data like >>57129898 says.

And for archival purposes, you'll eventually need to move everything to magnetic storage anyway, so filling up a 2TB NVMe SSD is not only a waste of money, but also a waste of time.
>>
>>57130736
>why not using RAM

Maybe because data is erased when the computer is powered off ?
>>
File: images (20).jpg (10KB, 393x374px) Image search: [Google]
images (20).jpg
10KB, 393x374px
>>57130678
>sub 5 second boot times
>working with big files is much easier
>random read speeds that aren't sub 1MBps
>not realizing that different products might have different use cases and going full sour grapes about shit you don't have on a mongolian basket veawing site
>>
>>57130808
>buhuu I saved 10 seconds by paying extra $100 on a meme!
shoot yourself
>>
>>57130774
If only there was a way to create a persistent RAMdisk...
>>
File: 1476650320105.jpg (32KB, 651x439px) Image search: [Google]
1476650320105.jpg
32KB, 651x439px
>>57130819
>hurbadur every single person uses their computer for web browsing just like me
>can only respond to one out of three arguments
>his rebuttal is merely an idiotic insult and not a counterargument

Keep posting those sour grapes, I'll be enjoying having both the speed of SSDs and the capacity of HDDs.
>>
>>57129768
Can't linux be installed on a USB drive or a flash card? And i don't mean a live cd iso either. I mean like actually installed to the removable drive. Full persistence.
>>
>>57130819
>>57130889
To add, have fun using drives that can be easily damaged by vibrations and shakes in portable devices
>>
>>57130896
It's possible and the installtion process isn't different at all.
>>
>>57130933
>installtion
Installation*
>>
>>57130678
They're more durable,so you save effort and money that would have been used to upgrade / replace your hdd
>>
>>57130933
How fast would it be running from a usb stick? ever try it?

If it's decent it might be a way to have SSD like speeds without paying all the money for an actual SSD.
>>
>>57130960
I have a microsd with debian xfce installed on it, I usually carry it around with a usb reader. It boots in less than 20 seconds or so.
>>
>>57130915
>what is APS
>>57130889
And I'll enjoy my money that I can use to upgrade my car or save and secure my future.
Spending money on memes is fucking dumb, unless you use it to do professional work.
>>
>>57130985
I'll bet if it's a usb 3.0 drive it will be even better.
>>
>>57130094
dang, spot on
>>
>>57131010
>implying using HDDs in an environment where it'll be constantly shaked and vibrated is fine

Enjoy your bad blocks

>b-but meme

Spouting the same non-argument won't change reality, child. One day you'll realise that people have different needs and that you can get SSDs for as low as $40. Also the fact that you're being worried about a car upgrade despite being this butthurt about people buying SSDs is funny on its own. Spending $100 on an SSD is not really a big deal if you aren't a burger flipper, anon.
>>
>>57129872
>Time is money, slick.

Says the faggot wasting his time browsing 4chan.
>>
SAMSHIT HOUSEFIRES
>>
>>57129990
>Trim isn't the same as wiping an HDD with DBAN
no shit, you might be retarded
>>
>>57131488
>need to be a gaymur /v/irgin
back to your containment board, nigger
>>
>>57130608
What the duck are you talking about. My normie buddies always complain about their load times. Even got one an ssd for himself.
>>
>>57132830
tell them to stop masturbating
>>
>>57129768

fuck anti SSD faggots.

but stop talking like sequential read/write is that fucking important. it isnt
>>
WD Green when?
>>
>>57129793

you don't become rich by hoarding your money like a stingy megajew, just a cheapskate.

you become rich by budgeting and prioritizing
>>
>>57133778
Spending money makes you poor.
>>
>>57129768
holy fucking shit this thread... is /g/ really anti ssd or is it just a few retards?

kingston puts out a 120gb ssd for under 40$ and a 240 for just over 60

I have an old intel 120gb drive and this one beats the fuck out of what I am useing, put all your boot on it and just see the difference it makes, because read and write are only bonuses, the real benefit comes from the complete removal of seek time along with the removal of mechanical actions, so when shit is fragmented a bit the drive doesn't go from being nearly 300mb read down to few hundred kb read.

On a side note, for gamers, a new hdd that is 7200rpm will serve you better than an ssd currently. we are moving toward games taking up 100gb because of fucking 4k and even when its not because of 4k, they take up 25-50gb because that's what a bluray is, that's what the consoles use, and they can take up that much space.

there are very few games that take significantly longer on a defragged hard drive than off of an ssd with an outlier being fallout 4. also, don't bother posting that ssd vs hdd video where the asshole has a fragmented as hell multi platter 500gb hdd, and is using that to show off the speed of an ssd.

get a 256gb/512gb/1tb ssd, I recommend the 1tb m.2 as its under 250$ now, and have that as boot, then put any game that is massively improved off an ssd over to it, and get a 3/4tb 7200 rpm drive, as that will be somewhere around 230-280mb read speed, and so long as that is defragmented, it will sever you well even when the bloat is real.
>>
>>57133856
an ssd is the singular thing that when you drop it into a computer, it feels like its a whole new machine. There is no other part that is as significant an upgrade as using a ssd for boot. however everyone jerks off to boot times and how fast programs open when that is a very minor side benefit.
>>
>>57134026
>kingston puts out a 120gb ssd for under 40$ and a 240 for just over 60
The shitty SV300 with really lame speeds and huge fail rate? Almost all low end SSDs are better than it, SP550 is a example.
>>
>>57129768
>he fell for the SSD meme too early
lmao enjoy 1/6th the performance early adopter fags
>>
>>57129898

what do the Super Mario Brothers have to do with this
>>
>>57134068
again, the speed is nothing, its not even a factor on how good a drive is, its all about getting off the mechanical seak times.

and no, its the Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB
>>
>>57134082
thing is, once you hit the limit of sata, you see very little benefit from going to a faster drive outside of certain case use applications.

the difference between the 3000mb read and 500mb read is literally the difference of .5% in real world use or gaming

the benefit comes in when you work with multi gb file sizes, and pcie cards like intels when you work in video and cant have the ssd stop being that fast ever (other brands take dips on the m.2 and pcie side either through throttling or they just cant handle the speed long term)
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.