[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which is the most occult programming language? I'd say Lisp

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

Which is the most occult programming language?
I'd say Lisp
>>
>>57129380
JavaScript. You basically serve Satan.
>>
Some say that those who programmed in Malbolge and lived to tell their tales have slowly become empty shells as their souls were consumed by demons.
>>
>>57129420
that also sounds a lot like perl
>>
File: c86.jpg (34KB, 600x342px) Image search: [Google]
c86.jpg
34KB, 600x342px
>>57129420

> Malbolge

SWEET NIECE-IN-LAW OF CTHULHU
>>
>>57129380
Do not learn Shoggoth... or your eyes will bleed.
>>
Lisp is in quite wide use
I'd say APL
>>
>>57129380
Lisp question:

How does a system run but also have a REPL prompt waiting? Isn't the system completely halted while waiting for the user to enter something?

I heard that story about NASA debugging the satellite millions of km away via remote-REPL but if the system was halted for the debugger, why didn't that kill its ability to respond to transmit/receive on the link?
>>
>>57131139
the system isn't halted but it is waiting for input
>>
>>57131196
so functions/loops/whatever can continue to run in the background while the repl prompt is up?

What happens to things like (format t "blalblala").... does it go to the REPL while the user is typing?
>>
>>57131263
the system is running in background?
I thought that it returns to the read only after the input was evaluated and printed

also what is the system? the current lisp program that you are running or the whole operating system? in either cases you can have threads that run in the background while the REPL is waiting for input
>>
>>57129380
HolyC
>>
>>57131361
>well for a NASA satellite that apparently ran Lisp, as in, not just SBCL on linux, I thought the entire system was lisp all the way down.
>>
>>57131263
Yours are not lisp questions, but rather, common computer questions.
For starters: there is such a thing as multithreading. While there is a repl waiting for user input in one thread, there is another thread handling the autopilot on the ship, another checking for integrity of the system, and yet another one is processing the events (in this case, the radio signals used to communicate with the little humans down there).
When the radio signals with the encoded "(format t ...)" get to the ship, it's kernel issues a hardware interrupt, which gets it to run the code that decodes the incoming signals and pass it to the repl. the repl responds and a software interrupt is issued which echoes back the result in the form of radio signals directed towards earth.
There is also the question of how the computer in the spacecraft is implemented: does it have a bunch of processors? If so the repl might be running in it's very own processor while the other parts of the system run in independent cores.

but yeah, the system isn't necessarily halted, it's switching tasks like any other OS. In *your* CL repl, however, you probably have but one thread until you make new threads. There is nothing else for the system to do in the background in this scenario.
>>
>>57129380
>>>/x/

Please direct all schizophrenia related faggotry to /x/.
>>
>>57131614
>then there wouldn't be any place for the turtles, would it?
>>
>>57131139
Most computer systems have support for multi-tasking now.
>>
File: megaten.png (14KB, 1371x1200px) Image search: [Google]
megaten.png
14KB, 1371x1200px
assembly, duh
>>
>>57131139
how does unix still run but have a shell open?
Dude, you went full retard.
>>
>>57129380
Urbit's Nook represented as http://hyperstition.abstractdynamics.org/archives/005109.html
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.