[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Build Custom Digital Signs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: DSC_4847a.jpg (3MB, 3128x2595px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_4847a.jpg
3MB, 3128x2595px
So I'm trying to build a digital sign to be hung on a restaurant. I'm trying to display a static image with text and full color pictures onto a 1080p screen, spread out across three of screens. Anyone know the cheapest and easiest method to do this? Set-up is fine but it needs to be as plug-and-play as possible.

My best idea so far is to buy three smart HDTVs and plug a USB stick on to each one containing the file I want to show. Then go into the screen's multimedia options and display the image file from there. I could even set it to slideshow mode to display other images along with the menu items. The problem with this is that every time you turn off the HDTV, it resets and when you turn it back on you have to go back into the options menu to select the images to show again.
>>
>>57126068
Use Raspberry Pi zeros that boot into a minimal linux that just shows the image/whatever. Plug it into the HDMI port and boom, your done.
>>
>>57126269
^This, and avoid buying smart TV if that's your only purpose.
>>
>>57126068
damn, that menu sounds tasty.
>>
>>57126269
>>57126374

Wouldn't it have to take time to load up on restart? And do you have to set the image as a desktop background in ubuntu or is there a program that loads up at startup that will show the image?
>>
>>57126068

they make devices for this exact purpose. tiny computers that run an OS and you can customize it

just set up a shitty computer, install windows and a slide show program and have it lauch automatically once windows loads. its not fuckin rocket science

the ones restaurants have are a little more complex, say for example mcdonalds their digital boards are "LIVE" and connected to a central location on the internet that gets updates immediately and then updates the content on the menu board from the POS after the updates. its totally self sufficient

but if you just need to scroll images... get a pi or some other shitty tiny computer and just install a slide show.
>>
I work with museums so i work with digital signage all the time, if you just need a static image most of these digital signage monitors have USB ports where you can just load an image directly. No computer needed.

Depends what monitors you have though.
>>
The only issue with domestic TV's (not so sure about the ones actually made for the purpose) is having a static image for that long would cause major burn in on the screen
>>
>>57128936
Only if it's plasma
>>
>>57128936

this. you need a "monitor" designed for this not a shitty TV turned monitor. the commercial ones that restaurants use are pretty reliable, but expensive. their sole purpose is for digital display. they have no tuners, no sound, nothing a TV has other than a shitload of input connectors for various sources
>>
>>57126068
a pc with enough graphiocs cards to support 3 to 4 displays

have the 4th one be the desktop used for sitting infront of to update the other ones
>>
>>57128887
>>57128936
>>57128965

Good point, it's been so long since I had to deal with screen burn-in. Anyone know any specific digital sign screen models? I could just buy those and call it a day.

>>57128993
This was one idea but I then realized the user would have to deal with putting up the three images again every time he reset the computer and it's an action that's hard to do if you are looking away from the monitors. A PC is also a waste of computing power since we are only showing 3 static image files, possibly 3 slide shows if we want to get fancy. I did plan to unite the digital sign with a POS system, but we still have to deal with the complexity of wiring all those monitors together and the reset problem after turning it off every night.
>>
File: a97838_48[1].jpg (56KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
a97838_48[1].jpg
56KB, 450x300px
>>57129117
>Digital signage
>Windows
Just don't.
>>
>>57128797
Boot into i3 or something or just run a x session, no need for de. Use bash script to show the image with feh, easy to set up changing images etc with bash.
>>
File: oh wait you're serious.gif (1MB, 288x198px) Image search: [Google]
oh wait you're serious.gif
1MB, 288x198px
>>57129337
>using 2003 as a relevant example
>>
Literally dwm, feh, and a Python script
>>
>>57129425
>he things something has changed
99% chance that it's the same shit from 2003 with some pajeet code thrown on top
>>
>>57126068
I design digital signs for a living. Every restaurant I've ever done work for uses USB sticks. There was one place that used a HDMI splitter as well for dynamic content.
>>
>>57129642

>only uses USB sticks
you must be working for shitty mom and pop restaurants then.. any major food chain uses computers to display their content and update it
>>
3 Raspberry PIs, displaying an image from a shared folder from the store PC is possible. If not, updating will be more annoying...

This is primitive, they also make better software for remote display
>>
im sure you can probably download some software for digital displays to slideshow images
cant be that hard to set up
>>
File: this-guy.jpg (33KB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
this-guy.jpg
33KB, 680x510px
>>57129568
>linux freetards actually believe this meemee
>implying windows stability hasn't improved
bet you just about anything you haven't touched a Windows server since 2003.
>>
>>57130079
something happened intensifies
>>
We use Xibo where I work. I dont think its super good but it works and a retard could do it
>>
>>57126068

You NEED to use an enterprise TV for this that is made to run for a certain number of hours, if you just use a regular TV and you keep the monitor on for a few days an hour, within a few weeks you will notice dark spots on the screen and eventually it will die.
>>
>>57130079
i regularly see digital signs throw windows errors in my city. just yesterday, the DMV line had a popup in it. it happens all the time, across all versions of windows.
>>
>>57126068
Just get the monitors, a sack of shit pc with a graphics card that has enough outputs for all the monitors and maximise an image on each screen
>>
it would probably cost less to have backlit frames and reprint the menu every week than to have several monitors running for the majority of the day/year
>>
>>57126068
3 pi's would be good. If you get WiFi dongle for each you could run a browser in kiosk mode on each one and point them to a web page you host, then the sign can be updated by updating your server, also you could have 3 pages for left right and mid.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.