[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you guys think of Docker?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: docker.png (46KB, 1354x1208px) Image search: [Google]
docker.png
46KB, 1354x1208px
What do you guys think of Docker?
>>
It's an ok package manager.
>>
>>57124948
that's not what it is
>>
>>57124962
Literally what it's useful for.

I'm not fucking spinning up 12 instances of ruby on fucking rails on a single box, so it turns into a kinda ok package manager.
>>
it all comes down to points of failure. Yes, you can spool shit up on somebody else's cloud/butt whatever, but sometimes it's easier to spool up an ec2 instance and deploy your shit to that rather than have to deal with docker, and potential added points of failure. Because your single host is now suddenly 20 host, and you have to basically exponentially scale your infrastrucutre to make use of docker in any sane way.

And if you don't want/need to scale it that way, well then it's just a fucking package manager.

You are not google.

You are not amazon.

You don't have their needs and will never use kubernetes for anything except mastrubatory fantasies about "best practices" and "clusters".

Your shitty crud app probably needs 1 vps on digitalocean, maybe 2.
>>
Docking is one of my favorite activities.
>>
>>57124934
>>57124948
>>57124962
>>57125015
>>57125047
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z3yusiCOCk
>>
Good, but it'll be deprecated by the hipster community in a few years.
>>
>>57125658
Then what'll be its alternative?
>>
I still don't know what it is for
>>
>>57125598
URL ends with cock. That made my day
>>
It's alright for what it's meant for. If you work for a company that deploys hundreds of new services a day to your company's data center/cloud, then docker makes it really easy to do that.

Alternatively, if you have a home server and are too lazy to set things up yourself/use lxc containers then docker and dockerhub make it easy to install most home server stuff. That being said, there are much better solutions at as small a scale as one or two machines.

>>57125047
While none of us are google or amazon, some of us do work for companies with similar requirements (or even 1/100th the level of Google's which is still fucking huge).
>>
>>57125015
in different xterm sessions
[spoiler]
nix-shell -p python35Packages.python
nix-shell -p python33Packages.python
[/spoiler]
>>
>>57125947
>mfw Windows infrastructure
>Application that doesn't scale horizontally
>CI for devs, change staging is still people copying zips
>Implementation is manual instructions performed by the lowest bidder
I beg for sweet release.
>>
I've not used it myself, but if it saves hours of manual release work for a company I'm all for it, I used to hate putting in an extra days work at night to get something released
>>
>>57124934

monster docking is one of the most degenerate behaviours I have had the displeasure of viewing.
>>
>>57125847

Do you like virtualization, but hate all that pesky virtualization?

Try docker today!
>>
>>57126225
>virtualization
why would I want to do that?
>>
File: just.jpg (30KB, 456x320px) Image search: [Google]
just.jpg
30KB, 456x320px
>>57124934
>tfw parents had me circumcised as a babby so I can't dock
>>
File: 1473122528489.png (127KB, 380x400px) Image search: [Google]
1473122528489.png
127KB, 380x400px
>>57124934
i'm starting to think docker wasted their ad dollars buying people to post on /g/
>>
>>57124934
Niggers should focus on stability and forget about adding news features.
>>
learning how to use it atm, seems like a great way to streamline test and deployment process
>>
>>57128853
You really don't realise how much you stick out, do you..
>>
File: 1731630_orig.jpg (104KB, 600x778px) Image search: [Google]
1731630_orig.jpg
104KB, 600x778px
>>57128920
pls no bully
>>
>>57124934
Good idea executed terribly.

rkt seems better
>>
Literally the only good hypervisor
>>
>>57124934
I hear it's useful and groundbreaking. I've never actually used it myself. But the founder has a very punchable face and so I don't really like it.
>>
>>57128920
/!\ extremely underrated post /!\

besides, rkt and/or vagrant are way better
>>
>>57124934
hipster garbage
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.