[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ebook reader comparison

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

File: 12315123123.jpg (261KB, 1194x869px) Image search: [Google]
12315123123.jpg
261KB, 1194x869px
What's the best ebook reader?

I personally think that the 7th gen kindle is good enough to be at the top.
>>
>>57117343

iPhone 7 plus
>>
>>57117558
Yep, iphone 7+ is fairly decent for its price. Definitely go for it if you have a few additional bucks to spare.
>>
imo the best ebook reader is the eyes
literally if you dont have it you cant see shit
>>
kobo glo hd is the best option.
you can enable the night mode wich invert the background and font color to go easy on the eyes at night. that's awesome.
>>
File: kindleshill.jpg (746KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
kindleshill.jpg
746KB, 1152x2048px
>>57117343
old gen Kindle Paperwhite is pretty affordable. It's my first ebook reader I have no complains whatsoever
>>
File: L2E5cVl.jpg (121KB, 768x960px) Image search: [Google]
L2E5cVl.jpg
121KB, 768x960px
i still have my Kindle Paperwhite from 2009 and it runs like a champ. This thing is a tank.
>>
File: 513110-kobo-aura-one.jpg (13KB, 332x245px) Image search: [Google]
513110-kobo-aura-one.jpg
13KB, 332x245px
what do you think of kobo Aura One?
It seems good with 7.8''. I also like a lot the display temperature scale that is a mandatory feature to me.

Also it has the last eink carta
>>
>>57117343
Kindle is just shit:
- you have to pay more for ad-free version (what the fuck?)
- too low on ram (256 MiB)
- old Eink Pearl iinstead of the newer Carta
- Bad privacy policy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle#Collection_of_user_reading_data
- Last but no least *amazon sucks*

Better going with Kobo. If you are concerned about the drm protection or the azw formats let me tell you that there are tools that remove drm protections and convert azw to epub (calibre for ex.)
>>
Did ALL kindles get the durability upgrade from earlier versions? I went through three 3G kindles just from leaning on them wrong.
>>
Kobo Glo HD is top tier

their new pricing is fucking retarded though; the new Kobo Aura isn't even HD and it costs just as much. It's fucking stupid ripoff
>>
When I got my Kobo years ago, it was best in class because it had a microSD slot you could fill with pirated books. Anything with this feature is the best e-reader.
>>
>>57117669
so funeh lmfao, top shitpost friend 10/10
>>
>>57117839
what gen/year is this one?

i have a basic kindle 7th gen
and i hate it more with each update
my pc imported books keep disappearing on me
and there is no easy way of using it without an amazon account.

for now Kobo Aura 6" are the cheapest e-reader with backlight on ebay
so being the poorfag that i am, i think i am going with it.
>>
File: ughhh.jpg (53KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ughhh.jpg
53KB, 1280x720px
>>57117343
I found a vendor at a swapmeet selling ereaders for $10 each.

I took a chance with a kobo glo hd because backlight.

For $10 this thing is really nice, but reading manga on it is a pain, and it's really the only non-textbook material I care to read, so It's probably going in the drawer like my mechanical keyboard and my other /g/ memes.
>>
>>57121201
This one i think. with the 300ppi screen
yes the updates are terrible

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-Paperwhite-6-Inch-4GB-eReader/dp/B00OQVZDJM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476753452&sr=8-1&keywords=paperwhite
>>
>>57120101
>tfw only know basic C++ and basic R
>not skilled enough to make a Kindle hack that removes the Amazon tracking
>>
>>57117343
I stopped reading books. Audio books and text to voice are much more comfy.
>>
How's the new Kobo reader lads? Was thinking of copping one but I'm not entirely sure if I should.
>>
>>57117343
In terms of price/quality, Kindle Paperwhite. It's not the cheapest, but one of the best on the market, too.
>>
>>57123694

No microsd? Pretty bad if you're trying to save money.
>>
>>57118673
its goat
>>
Got a kobo glo HD. Absolutely love it
>>
>>57123751
how many books are you planning to read at the same time?
>>
>>57117343
>swindle
>good
Nah m8. If you can't afford Kobo, best to just use calibre on a cheap TN laptop and put it on grey-scale.
>>
>>57121201
>i have a basic kindle 7th gen
>there is no easy way of using it without an amazon account
That's precisely why kindles suck
>>
>>57121468
with the new kobo aura one you have a 7.8'' display that makes it easier to read manga
>>
>>57123514
>>tfw only know basic C++ and basic R
>didn't realize that you just need to know how to use google to do it.

No problem, I just searched it for you. No need to thanks me. Follow this guide. Hope you can still read without any more help.
https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/drm-removal-tools-for-ebooks/
>>
I've got kobo aura with 6 inch screen. It's pretty good, but wished it had a bit bigger screen
>>
>>57123751
Really? 4GB is enough to store... 2500 books or more. And you can store all of them on Amazon Cloud and download them any time.
>>
>>57120101
- Paperwhite 3 with ads is more expensive than Paperwhite 2 without ads... And the difference is like $15 anyway. You don't pay more for ads-free Kindle, you just pay less for a shittier version.
- Paperwhite has Carta, you uneducated twat.
- low on ram - how much RAM do you need to read e-books?
- Amazon sucks. Sure, Kindle Store lets you purchase books from your Kindle with 1-click, they let you store all your books on their Amazon Cloud for free, but sure, they're so bad...
- Bad privacy - you're a nobody, no one's gonna bother with your personal data, you can read MLP fanfiction all you want.
>>
Last year I read how E Ink is about to introduce some huge, long awaited updates to their displays, what happened to that?
>>
>>57126690
Help lads
>>
>>57126185
The new nook is better than the kobo ngl
>>
>>57126756
You need the ram for viewing pdf files, pretty important imo
>>
>>57126908
I view pdf files on my phone. Black and white E-Ink screen isn't good for pdf and pictures. There are Kindle designed for web browsing, so maybe those are better, but Paperwhite is esentially for offline use. Depends on how much you wanna spend.
>>
>>57126665
The new Kobo Aura One has a 7.8'' display with a resolution of 1872x1404
>>
>>57118673
best ereader out there
>>
File: 1475787413839.gif (821KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1475787413839.gif
821KB, 500x281px
>>57126756
I was talking about the Amazon Kindle 7th gen you cunt.
Go buy an english vocabulary with your Papershit on the amazon store before shitposting on /a/ next time.

>low on ram - how much RAM do you need to read e-books?
RAM is necessary for speeding up the loading process and for viewing pdf files.

>I view pdf files on my phone
If I bought an ebook reader is for reading books idiot! I have tons of books/articles/stuff in pdf and it's just annoying to read them on a 4'' display

>Amazon sucks. Sure, Kindle Store lets you purchase books from your Kindle with 1-click, they let you store all your books on their Amazon Cloud for free, but sure, they're so bad...
When I *buy* something I wanna have it physically! I don't want the file to be on their fucking cloud, I wanna have it on my own filesystem. Also amazon works kinda nice with their products but incredibly bad with other products

>Bad privacy - you're a nobody, no one's gonna bother with your personal data, you can read MLP fanfiction all you want
Oh god the more you write the dumber you seem...
Listen to this and maybe there's a chance you will learn something today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjopJ-_vAUE&feature=youtu.be&t=1888
>>
>>57120101
>you have to pay more for ad-free version
and then your home screen still has ads for books.

never again
>>
>>57127593
What phone has a 4" display? One from 2010? I've got a shitty Samsung J3 for like $150 I got with a deal and it's sufficient enough with a 5" screen. Kindle Paperwhite, which has the best price/ratio performance, isn't for browing pics and web. There are more expensive models for that. Also convert to mobi.

Tell you what about Amazon storing data. When you read a book bought in the Kindle Store, you can see which passages were most often highlighted and saved by other readers. Comes in useful when reading a textbook. When my Kindle constantly sends the data on which page I am to the main server, I can then log in from my phone app and continue reading, because the app synchs data from Kindle. And what other data can they get from me reading a book? Uh, they already see what book I bought.
>>
>>57127596
What? No it doesn't. Wait, you mean the "Recommended for you" thing on the bottom an ad? Are you kidding me? It's hella useful, non-invasive, and again - useful.
>>
>>57118673
Damn, just found out about this

Couple years ago the Kobo Aura HD/H2O was the goat, this looks like the new goat

Still comfy for years with my H2O thou but if I had to buy one today it'd probably be that
>>
>>57127716
>non-invasive
it takes up over 1/3 of the screen. how the hell is that non-invasive?

>recommended for you
its fucking advertisements for their kindle store. its not """"""""""hella useful"""""""""" its ads that i paid extra not to have.
why not have a link for recommendations? especially after paying more for the AD FREE version.
>>
>>57127716
t. jeff bezos
>>
>>57127784
Yeah, but on the top part of the screen you have a taskbar, and 3 recently read book are displayed.

When you're on a train and finish reading your 10th technothriller bestseller in a row, you might not have the luxury of browsing through web in search of a new book. So... you look at the recommended ones. And it's very useful when you want another part of a series. 1) click on the recommended part 2 of the series, 2) click once to purchase, 3) read. It's good. Just because you don't find it useful doesn't mean a million people won't.
>>
>>57118673
I have the 2010-2011 version of this one. SD reader, e-ink, backlight, long as shit battery life.
Plus you can download epubs from wherever and read them, unlike the kindle

And, it's cheaper than the new ones.
>>
>>57127784
>its fucking advertisements for their kindle store. its not """"""""""hella useful"""""""""" its ads that i paid extra not to have.
why not have a link for recommendations? especially after paying more for the AD FREE version.
I agree, at least it should be removable
>>
>>57127879
this.
not that it matters anymore because i'll never buy another kindle again.
the aura one is both amazing and blows any kindle out of the water.
>and no shilling on my home screen
>>
>>57126789

Im still waiting on this to hop on the ereader bandwagon. So far I've read 4 books on my smartphone. Its not bad, but I want to start reading at night before bed without fucking up my sleep cycle.
>>
>>57126491
For manga your better off using a tablet or the other Kobo models for mircoSD card expansion.
>>
>>57117343
I have Gobo Glo HD, it's great.
Can recommend it. Reading large pdfs is a bit laggy though so if you are planning to use it only on pdfs, I would avoid it.
>>
>>57117343
Paperwhite, no doubt
>>
>>57126860
no
>>
>>57117343

definitely non-touch kindle, not connected to the internet. ever.
>>
Any Ebook Readers that run Free Software?
>>
>>57126798
sorry man we're not tech support, see if it's still under warranty
>>
>>57130140
most of them run some convoluted linux underneath (pure & android depending on device). they just don't advertise it. you can actually run recent netbsd on one of the original kobo.
>>
>>57128168
>better off using a tablet
personally i would rather choose a xps 13 with the badass screen (QHD+)
>>
>>57127701
Get off this board
>>
File: large.png (58KB, 500x264px) Image search: [Google]
large.png
58KB, 500x264px
My nook simple touch just died.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.