[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My Nexus 4 is becoming unusable. The iPhone SE is probably too

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

My Nexus 4 is becoming unusable.

The iPhone SE is probably too small, and the screen res isn't even 720p. Would feel like a downgrade in the display department.

Larger iPhones are too expensive. The 7's lack of a 3.5mm port feels genuinely user hostile.

But no Android hardware can compete with the A9 right now, never mind the A10. They also need gigantic batteries in order to last as long as tiny iThings can, so they take ages to charge and after the Note 7 fiasco I'm wary of carrying such huge high density chunks of lithium in my pocket.

Android itself is shit, and I say that as someone who's stuck with it since 2010. It's horribly inefficient. You need 3GiB RAM to compete with 1GiB iOS devices. The app ecosystem has given up entirely now. You only get guaranteed updates if you get a Google-blessed device, but this year they've gone full retard and decided to go up against Apple.

Fuuuuuck me. Every phone is either shit, obscenely expensive, or both. Part of me wants to give up and carry a dumb phone, but I've gotten too used to having a browser and maps in my pocket.

I don't even have a question.
>>
At least you posted Maki. That's a positive
>>
Do you just hate everything that isnt absolutely perfect? Whats even the point?
>>
File: maki is cute 741.jpg (615KB, 700x998px) Image search: [Google]
maki is cute 741.jpg
615KB, 700x998px
Cute maki OP! Phones are dumb and bad, I agree. I'd suggest going for the iPhone SE, and carrying a small laptop which it can act as a hot-spot for. Basically the only thing i use my iPhone for is maps, ebay notifications, and actual telephony. It works out very well~!
>>
>>57109144
>android hardware can't compete with A9 or A10

What is it like not knowing what you're talking about? The hardware in modern Android devices blows Apple away. It's the fact that Android = Java VM and shitty unoptimized applications. Native applications on a Galaxy S5 fucking destroy iPhone 6+.

Get a Pixel XL and fuck off.
>>
>>57109390
>le pixel meme
>>
I'd just settle for the SE if I were to switch to iOS.
>>
File: 1476321921659.png (90KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
1476321921659.png
90KB, 500x501px
>>
>>57109390
No
Look at any benchmark
A9 blows away the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 821, and it's over a year old now.
A10 simply murders the competition
It's embarrassing, and this is coming from an android fanboy
>>
>>57109377
My use case is similar. Phones fail to be notebooks fail to be desktops. Anything less than a good desktop is crippled so why be picky?

I scatter Thinkpads about so I always have a computer.
>>
>>57109437
This is literally false
820 beats the A9, took me 20 seconds of Googling

jesus, kill yourself
>>
>>57109390
>Get a Pixel XL
I am in the same boat as OP, in that I want a newer phone. My current phone is a Galaxy Nexus, so it will likely give up the ghost soon.

I cannot afford $650 (or $750-$850 after import taxes) on a Pixel.
>>
>>57109495
Dumb fuck, buy what you can afford. It's called "reasoning" and you do not possess it. Nor intelligence on the ways of how life works.
>>
>>57109144
>The 7's lack of a 3.5mm port feels genuinely user hostile.
I agree, I was considering switching back from android to iOS, and the lack of a headphone jack put me off. Then I realized I don't use my phone for music
>>
>57109540
what is your favourite anime?
>>
>>57109540
We do buy what we can afford. It is something that separates us from the iFan. Previously, the Nexus line was well-regarded for bringing quality and performance at an affordable level. The Pixel ditches that, and it is frustrating to see Google go Apple's way.

You are welcome to join the conversation like an adult, btw.
>>
>>57109495
You want a pocket-size supercomputer that is on the bleeding edge of consumer technology but don't want to pay a reasonable price?

Wow, that's rough. Why even live?
>>
File: 1475297731152.jpg (73KB, 700x575px) Image search: [Google]
1475297731152.jpg
73KB, 700x575px
Get the SE op. Yes it's smaller but the display is just as good as a high end phone. I personally guarantee you will not notice a difference because just using the # of pixels is a terrible way to gauge the quality of the screen.

If you have massive gorilla hands and actually can't use a phone that small then you're probably SOL unless you want to cough up the money for a 6S+ though.
>>
Yea this year has been pretty disappointing for the Android market. I'm lucky I got a 6P last year so I can hold out on upgrading but even now it feels like Google has lost interest with the Nexus phones after they decided to kill Nexus.
>>
nigga the fuck you going on about? i have a nexus 4 and it runs CM13 with no issues.
>>
>>57109144
Wait. AM 0:00?
Do they actually do this in Japan? I've only ever seen America's 12am or Europe's 00 (always double zero with no am).

>>57109598
>The 7's lack of a 3.5mm port feels genuinely user hostile.
I would've been totally fine with it if it weren't for the lightning port. If the adapter were USB-C, that'd be great. It'd be a standard and you could get a new one without having to pay the Apple tax.
I like how Apple even managed to fuck up their own adapter and the first iteration made hissing noises.

>>57109437
As a regular Android user, I can acknowledge that the A10 is better designed than the Snapdragon 821; that Android OEMs have not actually stepped up and demanded, from Qualcomm or others, ARM processors that are really best in class and optimized for a cell phone. They keep going for Java bases and extremely high RAM amounts and usage, and more cores because that sounds better.

But I really wish this constant childish shouting and bullshitting about the processors would stop. If only this place weren't occupied by children whose parents didn't hug them enough, and so they need to use the nerd equivalent of a sports team as a surrogate for their self-esteem.
A10's a little better than the older Snapdragon 821 in practical performance. Throw a fucking party.
>>
>>57109144
I have a Galaxy S4 that's still perfectly usable.

Have you heard the good word about chink shit?
>>
File: 1444851268996.png (487KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1444851268996.png
487KB, 600x600px
>>57109447
>Literally false

You just blew your cover tumblrfag
>>
>>57110025
>haha, guys, he used literally CORRECTLY
>he's obviously from tumblr

wew lad, you sure got him :^)
>>
>>57109144
Anyone have the unedited pic?
>>
>>57109144
>Actually considering giving up and getting a dumbphone instead of picking a phone that is slightly inferior to their "dream phone" standards
>>
>>57109144
Just get a Windows phone.
>>
>>57110353
I said that part of me wanted to, not that I was actually considering it.

Thanks anons for all the advice ITT. I may respond in more depth later if the thread is /still/ alive. I'm tending towards getting the SE. I don't know anyone who has one so I'll have to try it at an apple store first.
>>
>>57109437
>a9 murders 821

No it fucking doesn't.
>>
File: xd-a.png (46KB, 1041x533px) Image search: [Google]
xd-a.png
46KB, 1041x533px
>>57111951
Not the anon you responded to; OP here.

Pic related shows A9 vs 820. A9 solidly wins per-core and loses multicore. The single core score is more relevant for immediate responsiveness and app loading time; multicore is relevant for browser and game performance. However, keep in mind that this is a synthetic native code benchmark. Real world Android apps are Java so there is overhead (regardless of how many JVM fans try to convince you there isn't).

I can't find benches of the 821 on the same scale. Supposedly it's 10% faster, and if true that closes the single-core gap vs the A9. I fully expect the A9 to remain better at real apps, though. The A10 is miles ahead of anything but we're talking about the SE rather than the 7 so I'll stick with the A9.

The SE also has far better storage performance, which will make considerably more difference to perceived performance. Combined with the battery life, it's kind of a joke to compare current Android hardware to iThings in terms of performance.

Shit, I'm basically shilling the SE to myself now. I just don't know about that screen size.
>>
kill yourself stupid maki poster.
>>
>>57111524
/g/ advice everyone lmao
>>
What do you use your phone for?
>>
>>57109144
>>>/g/spg
>>>/wsr/

MODS take a note. /g/ was NOT supposed to be a tech review/consumer advice site. Enforce your rules.
>>
>>57113566
>Browser
>Gmail
>Maps
>Phoning people, and also Skype/Hangouts/etc
>Camera
>Notepad, calculator, misc things like that
>Banking apps
>Flashlight
>Music
>Youtube sometimes but I don't like watching things on small screens if larger ones are available

Both devices can do these things, but I do care about performance (lagged interfaces drive me insane) and I really really want to be able to do them without stressing about battery life. The browser is the main one that may be impacted by the SE's small screen, and I do use it a lot.

Anons with an SE, how's the browsing experience?

(I started typing a tale of how my smartphone usage changed over time, but /g/ is not my personal blog and nobody cares)

>>57113652
Oh piss off. I'm not just asking /g/ to choose a device for me. I've done my research, presented it, contributed with notes on SoC performance, etc. I actually ended the OP with "I don't even have a question". spg is drowned out by comparisons between the latest Android shitphones and wsr is dead.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-12-20-30-13.png (855KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-12-20-30-13.png
855KB, 540x960px
Man I blught a moto e for $12 from Walmart. GSM unlocked but no root. MicroSD slot, sufficient battery. I can tether my true unlimited LTE, I can torrent, I can play my flacs, I have clover and naked browser. I love this phone. It's small and amazingly comfortable to hold. I can type with one hand. My ear buds cost LITERALLY 10 times as much. Go buy one, if you don't like it you'll be out a few dollars and have a solid back up phone.
>>
>>57113729
I will assume you meant $120 anon

Thanks for the tip but I'm not really looking for such an entry level device. 960x540, shitty camera, last year's OS, etc. I want something solid.
>>
>>57113952
No. I bought mine for $12. Right now they're $22 though.
>>
>>57113703
Get a 6p. No lag and it's Nexus.
>>
>>57109144
the iphone se is still 300+ppi right? i dont see a problem with that. better then 67ppi phone. Also why 4k on a phone? the pixel density is insane and i wouldn't notice the difference except in color accuracy maybe
>>
>>57113990
Huh. Well there's definitely no deal like that where I am (UK).
>>
>>57109694
>massive gorilla hands
>6+ still feels like i'm typing on a matchbook

it's made me fucking hate phones.
>>
>>57114037
>>57114016
My hands are pretty small, I'd be physically okay with a 4" phone. The pixel density is fine too, same as my N4 and I can't see pixels on that. My concern is visible area. Browsing and messages will probably involve a whole lot of scrolling. Very little space left with the keyboard up. And iOS apps are increasingly being designed for larger displays.
>>
What do you need a top of the line phone for? Dont waste money on what you dont need. Make a list of the stuff you actualy need an you will probably find a phone for less than 50$. Im still using my 6y old android and i still see no need to upgrade for the next couple years.
>>
>>57114433
I don't need one, but I still want one. A $50 phone could do what I need but it couldn't do what I want (have a lag-free UI, decent screen, good battery, etc). Life is too short to put up with inconvenient frustrating bullshit for the sake of a few hundred bucks.
>>
>spending more than $100 on a phone that doesnt do much more and still gets outdated in a few years anyways

ROFL
>>
>>57109144
Dumb Mac® poster
>>
>>57115190
Yes.
This is how people stay poor.
>>
>>57113729
>>57113990
>$12

What the fuck.
>>
>>57115190
Please read the post immediately before yours.
>>
>>57112203
What's wrong with 4" display if you have decent eyesight?
>>
>>57113703
I had the SE. It's a great phone and fast, but if web browsing is a big deal the screen size will bug you. I went up to a 6s and then got pissed off at battery life (was having to charge around noon). I'm just using a cheap Android 5 inch phone now.
>>
>>57114532
its true that life is short so you prefer to spend it working for shit you dont need?
take a few days of unpaid vacation instead of buying a phone you dont need. If you love to work and dont know what to do with the money go ahead and trow it away.
>>
>>57115534
Imposes a limit to the amount of stuff that's visible at once. More scrolling etc. It's not about seeing it, it's about content not fitting.

>>57115707
Right, now this is what I was concerned about. Thanks for the report anon. I think I'll just have to try it in person to make my mind up.

>>57117074
Why are you so insistent that I don't know the value of my time and money? I use my phone every single day of my life. I don't want a shitty slow frustrating one with a terrible battery and laggy software.

If it lasts three years, that's £0.37 a day for an SE. I get far more daily value than that out of a smartphone. If I went for a generic Chinese clone Android device, that could be £0.17 a day. Wow- an entire £6 saved a month, in exchange for having a far worse phone. I'm sorry anon but fuck that shit.
>>
>>57109611
Your only option is a chinkphone then. May I suggest to you the honor 5x for less than $200?
>>
>>57113703
I use an SE. It's great.
>>
>>57117371
No problem anon, it's probably best to try in person first when making a change like. I'm finding 4.6 to 5 inch being the sweet spot.

iOS is nice too. I overall prefer android. Luckily there is a lot of choice in that sector.
>>
>>57109144

get a 5x
>>
>>57109144
Get a OnePlus 3 or an iPhone 6s.

That's all.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161017-212426.png (96KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161017-212426.png
96KB, 1080x1920px
>>57109144
>b-but muh specs

It really doesn't matter at this point, it's not like these devices are being used for anything heavier than web browsing. I have been using CM13 on my ""old"" S5 for some time now and I can say that it works smoothly. I even installed CM13 on an S2 that I have for the keks and it works good too.

>inb4 leldroid need at least 4GB of RAM

Pic related
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.