[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The UI as an "experience"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 512681788_79240d493b.jpg (116KB, 500x394px) Image search: [Google]
512681788_79240d493b.jpg
116KB, 500x394px
I'm really not sure where this started, but why is it that every "modern" user interface is overly animated and designed? Surely the purpose of a good UI is to be as fast as possible?

But the animations and general glitz of Windows 10, OSX, KDE, and GNOME end up being as slow as the Amiga Workbench, which had a second of rendering time upon every drawer's opening which has the same length as the animations of modern desktops.

So who is to blame for this, and when did it occur? It was after XP because I don't remember the appearance of XP being much of a talking point compared to everything else.
>>
>>57105369
you can turn animations off in windows
>>
>>57105390
So you can go against its intended design? Notice how you turn them OFF rather than instead have the option to turn them ON.

And the time and effort went in to coding that in the first place, so it still doesn't run counter to what I said.
>>
Even I like eyecandy from time to time.

Nothing wrong with that.
>>
Animations help smooth out any lagginess. They can also allow for you to predict where stuff is going to appear rather than just instantly appearing out of nowhere which can help with workflow. Plus they look cool.

Blame apple, they started most of it.
>>
>>57105369
>So who is to blame for this

The consumers who keep supporting bloated interfaces. Companies are just giving them what they want.

There's no practical need for so much animation and graphics rendering, but they're not necessarily being forced on you. After all, you can use whatever desktop environment or window manager you want with GNU/Linux or BSD. There are plenty of lightweight DEs and WMs like LXDE, Window Maker and Fluxbox.

(I mentioned Window Maker specifically since it tries to reproduce the classic Amiga environment like the one in the screenshot)
>>
>>57105420
The Win7 Aero theme is actually more efficient than the "classic" view graphics-wise as it is smarter about when it renders, hence how you never see those repeated trails of windows like you did on older XP/2000/98 system. Just turn off transparency for the best performance.
>>
it's aesthetically pleasing, which is something more appealing to most consumers. it's fairly easy to understand. Just turn the animations off if you don't like it.
>>
Eye candy is also a big help conceptually, remember how stupid the average user is.

If I click on something and it pops then grows into a full window, it's easy to understand how the icon and window relate. Menus "roll down" from the menu bar to make it clear they're not new windows but part of the parent.

That's also why it has to be on by default, if the computer assumes you're stupid until you tell it you're smart, then the stupid people don't get frustrated and still buy the computer.
>>
>>57105443
>Even I
this would mean more if you weren't, you know, anonymous
>>
>>57105448
They can make lagginess appear to not exist, but the average consumer isn't that stupid. It all wastes a second of my time every couple of seconds when doing real work.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.