[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why can some CS majors not sort a linked list?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: cs_major_codemonkey.png (125KB, 813x600px) Image search: [Google]
cs_major_codemonkey.png
125KB, 813x600px
why can some CS majors not sort a linked list?
>>
There's no need to learn it anymore as libraries exist
>>
Is i and j supposed to be indices or elements
>>
File: 129246019050.jpg (474KB, 818x1000px) Image search: [Google]
129246019050.jpg
474KB, 818x1000px
US colleges turn out debtors, quality of education is not important. Most US students look for schools with high diversity and safe spaces. Math is replaced with Sensitivity Gender Relations
>>
Because we are only taught algorithms in form of pseudo code. He's still stupid, you gotta learn some stuff on your own
>>
>>57103878
Because US education is garbage
>>
>>57103878
you really should be doing
private static void swap(ArrayList<T> a, int i, int j)
{
T tmp = a[i];
a.set(i,j);
a[j] = tmp;
}

Why would would ever make a swap function for a typed instance of a generic is beyond me.
>>
>>57103956
I like using i or idx to represent index. But usually you should be using a better variable name.
>>
>>57104045
So you never learned how to program?
>>
>>57103878
I'm on EE major but jesus fucking christ my mathematician has learned us more about programming than actual programming professor who tends to say that 'you can compile your source code only to .exe'.<
Yeah I consider leaving the uni and going to job for money which I would spent on certs
>>
>sorting using linked lists
kys
>>
>>57103878
>american """"education""""
I learned more from random reading ebooks than I did from lecture. The material was a joke and usually the classes were 2/3rds womyn and minorities who thought web browsers were operating systems. Literally just a scam, the only American colleges worth anything are private universities and good luck getting into those if you aren't autistic or rich.
>>
>teaching students archaic data structures just "becos it's hard lol"

linked lists are hardly more efficient than standard arrays with modern compilers
>>
>>57104930
>archaic data structures
You can find linked lists everywhere in mordern software. Especially if you look at databases and the like.
>>
because basically all of the tuition paid in public universities bubbles right to the top, leaving everything else to get fucked over.

case in point: the university i attended had just finished building a new library when i started and had added a new dorm to replace others that were falling apart. the library looked great, the dorm rooms were ramshackle huts that barely met building codes. guess which project got funding from the city.

professors who aren't getting paid enough and have to deal with broken equipment that is sometimes older than the students are not going to go out of their way unless the students actually care.

if the student body is filled with people who don't care about what they learn so long as they can make a quick buck, they're not going to bother teaching people anything of any value. and in my experience, virtually every student i ran into during my CS program was only in it to be the next zuckerberg.
>>
>>57105283
>professors who aren't getting paid enough
I thought they made an average of 80k a year and get tenure. Maybe not an incredible wage but its a safe one. Though I suppose that just encourages them to give even less of a shit.
>>
>>57103878
>there are people out there who can't swap 2 int without a temporary variable
What's your excuse?
>>
Just a quick reminder that a CS degree doesn't actually teach you how to program.
It actually teaches you the basic concepts of programming, it's up to you to try and learn more about it, by yourself, like you will always have do in the rest of your life as a programmer.
I bet people who bash and try to mock recent graduated people never even programmed in their entire life.
>>
>>57104197
>not xor-swapping
do you know how to use a computer?
>>
>>57103878
What's wrong with that? Is it because they were supposed to use a.get(i) instead of a[i]? I don't use Java.
>>
>>57106338
A lot of professors are on food stamps and make less than minimum wage when their workload is taken into account.
>>
>>57106654
(You)
>>
>>57106805
>"A historical reason was that it used to be patented (US4197590)."
>mfw muricans can patent the shit out of everything including doing 3 xors
What's next, are muricans gonna patent the concept of breathing air too?
>>
>>57104197
>ArrayList
> a[i]

Noice
>>
I'm so glad I don't use all these shit languages. Can't imagine what it's like to have to do complex shit instead of just

a, b = b, a
>>
>>57107007
>swapping a value
>complex shit
>syntactic sugar for a swap
grandpa pls go to bed
>>
>>57107021
>>complex shit

Yeah, an entire function to do something simple is making something simple into complex shit.

also
>>syntactic sugar

Heaven forbid I use a language that makes things easier for me. Going to recommend I install gentoo next you fucking weeb?
>>
>>57107073
I bet you use foreach over for too, heathen!
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.