[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I link two PCIe riser cables? Optiplex Upgrade

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

So I did check out /wsr/ to see if my thing counted as "tech support" but the gist I got from browsing around there didn't really give me the impression that this thread belonged there as I already know what I'm gonna do and how, but want to ask before i buy the parts

>(TL; DR version at bottom)

THE STORY SO FAR:
So basically, I have an optiplex 380 back home that has a decent amount of memory and a fairly competent Core 2 processor that I wanted to soup up with a video card, but I'm not physically at home right now and won't be until next month, so I looked up the specifications and found that it had four (4) expansion slots at the back, even though it only had 3 PCI slots (including PCIe).

So I was led to believe that the PCIe slot would be in the second slot from the TOP and the TOP slot would not have a PCI interface because the PCI interfaces on this board face right-side-up, so if a dual width card were to be used it could be accommodated (pic related)

So I ended up buying the card only to realize that I actually had it backwards, and that Dell is retarded - the fourth "empty" bay is actually the one on the BOTTOM, under a STANDARD 32 bit PCI slot which makes no sense if you think about it since the slots on this board face right side up, so even if there were a dual-width 32 bit PCI device, it would not fill that empty bay but the one directly above it.

So the solution I'm now thinking of for when I go home is to use a PCIe 16x riser cable to loop around to the other side of the case, then back under and around to basically "transpose" the PCIe interface to the bottom bay of the case which will allow me to accommodate the dual width card using the third and fourth bays from the top.

>TL; DR I bought dual width card for single width PCIe slot, plan on using riser cables to fix

none of the riser cables i found are long enough, can i link two riser cables together or will that cause problems?
>>
Card in question is a GeForce GT 630 btw
>>
>>57095445
you could but it's honestly not worth it considering it's core 2 shit. you can find sandybridge dell optiplex for like $100 nowadays
>>
>>57095458
Well I think even that would have the same problem as the 380 in that case since I'm willing to bet Dell made that have a single width PCIe bay as well.

Despite that are you saying that connecting two riser cables will work without incident?
>>
>>57095445
are you even sure that the pci slot will be in the way of the gpu? i don't think it will be.
also this machine is a turd and you'd be foolish to spend any money on it when that money could be spent on something less old.
>>
>>57095488
dell abandoned the BTX form factor in favor of ATX since then, so you should be fine.
>>
>>57095717
Well it shouldn't be with either my solution or default installation, but if i just put it in as-is there's only one bay open to accommodate the bracket and i need another one above

>also this machine is a turd and you'd be foolish to spend any money on it when that money could be spent on something less old.
Also pls don't kill my mid-y2k aesthetic boner ;-;

And remember if i get a newer computer i can just move the hard drives and graphics card to that.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.