[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does this not exist with modern hardware?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

File: 1453538589319.jpg (331KB, 1166x971px) Image search: [Google]
1453538589319.jpg
331KB, 1166x971px
Why does this not exist with modern hardware?
>>
>>57083939
Just remote control ur pc nerd
>>
The GPD Win is just that
>>
>>57081807
>>
>>57083939

the limitations of the shitty input devices pissed of the focus group of normies

and it was thrown in the trash

END OF STORY
>>
In the past, device makers thought if they shrunk everything and stuck a desktop OS on it, it would make a good portable. That failed miserably.

Now, we have small touchscreen devices, whose OS and programs are rewritten with a task-based focus. 90% of use cases are solved by this approach so it's taken off
>>
you know what's good? crowbarring a desktop os onto something you keep in your pocket. reeee why don't normies want something with 10 minutes' battery life, it's like they don't even know what a COM1 port is reeeee
>>
they have these things called 'laptops' now, so-called because they are like a desktop, but are portable. they rest on your lap instead, and work by using an internal battery as a power source instead of wall power, but you can leave them plugged in to charge the internal battery.
>>
>>57084460
I have a windows 10 tabletand it is miles better than anything apple or lagdroid.

I actually like android on my phone but for tablets it is simply terrible (no updates and shitty shovelware apps). And aplel is just closed sourced shit with the same shovelware fart apps.

Although I definitely understand that for normies apple and android is more than enough (even on tablets).
>>
>>57084328
>4gb
>TWO fullsize usb port
>5 inch

holy shit, that's nice. not sure on how fast the device would fry your hands though
and small battery
>>
ha ha ha buy a thinkpad ha ha it's a /g/ meme for a reason!! ha ha ha (me laughing like the joker)
>>
>>57084532
I get a minimum of four hours on mine. They massively undersold the battery.
>>
>>57083939
Because it would cause billions in losses to big firms that are comfy with their laptop prices.
Do you really think the technology is just not that advanced yet?

Learn2business
>>
I'd be fine with even Android phone with physical keyboard.
>>
>>57083939
It sucked and it will suck with modern hardware.
>>
>>57083939
because both win10 and linux are available on arm platforms
>>
File: 300lx.jpg (433KB, 1498x1146px) Image search: [Google]
300lx.jpg
433KB, 1498x1146px
>>57083939
>slider
Because it's a compromised abomination, give us palmtops back, with readable E-ink displays or some other ultra-low-power solution and month-long battery life on a pair of AAs.

>>57084460
>10 minutes of battery life
iOS and Android are just as bloated as any other operating system.
>>
>>57087690
>iOS
>bloated
>>
>>57087712
Yes.
>>
>>57084530
laptops are way older than those devices. How is it even possible to be this out of touch with the chronology of tech progress.
>>
>>57083939
Because there's no point in using MUH FULL WINDOWS PROGRAMS LIKE AUTOCAD on a fucking tiny screen.
>>
because windows 10 on a device that small is designed for touch screens? why bother with a shitty tiny keyboard you can't actually touch type on
>>
>>57083939
because there is no need for it (no demand)
Look at Priv, its great, but how many people bought it?
>>
>>57087819
And yet, everyone is demanding quad core processors with 4K displays on a 6 in screen and 8gb of ram.
>>
I like 8 core and 720p
>>
>>57088058
ding ding ding
>>
>>57087690
>not installing gentoo
c'mon man
>>
>>57087712
It's a modified version of a desktop platform running on a mobile device and it still gets plenty of battery life, this is my point.

>>57087850
Too bad 10 on a touch screen is fucking garbage, even on a spacious 13'' 2-in-1 the input methods are absolutely atrocious, especially.

>>57087819
From my time using ultra-portable devices like that, it's not really about the software you can run, it's about the way it's run, it's the entire "real computer in your pocket" experience that makes these devices so appealing. The sky's the limit.
>>
>>57083939
media consumption devices took the market lead
>>
File: Nuu-MiniKey.jpg (41KB, 650x484px) Image search: [Google]
Nuu-MiniKey.jpg
41KB, 650x484px
>>57083939
How's this?
>>
>>57090090
went this route for a while
it was okay but having to remember to keep it charge was annoying and bluetooth sucks shit

on top of phone OSes sucking shit
>>
Because not enough people want it to make it viable to mass produce you dumbfuck sperg. Not a difficult concept.
>>
>>57090241
More than enough people want it. They just don't know it yet
>>
>>57083939
>Why does this not exist with modern hardware?

Because tiny PCs of that sort are absurd, ergonomically crippled useless garbage.
>>
>>57090275

Will autists ever learn that there's other things which exist outside of their delusion bubble? What is the purpose of a full desktop OS with shitty inputs? A terrible keyboard for toddler hands, no decent pointing device, laughable peripheral ports, why would you want this? What we have now is perfect, A smartphone which is essentially a communications device and application launcher which has the potential to connect to your home computer if you desperately need something done. Android fellows can squeeze a lot of extra functionality out of their devices too if they wish, iOS fellows have Apple's ecosystem and shit like continuity.
>>
File: 1473002807477.png (332KB, 656x505px) Image search: [Google]
1473002807477.png
332KB, 656x505px
>>57090275

>me and 6 people on /g/ like it
>tonnes of people want it!!!
>>
Because we can't have nice things
>>
just get a small laptop fuckboi
>>
File: IMG_0010.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0010.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Because they're underpowered pieces of trash. Just use RDP if you want a full computer experience.
>>
>>57090608
>t. someone who's never actually used RDP on a phone for anything more than taking blog shots
even with a real keyboard it's a fucking shit experience, tablets are a little more tolerable at least
>>
>>57090633
idk man i use it pretty freuqntly on my ipad and it's really nice, especially with the pencil.

i use it on my phone, and while it's not a great experience, it's pretty useful to have access to a real computer when you need it.
>>
>>57083939
What's the point of a device like this
>>
>>57090813
To get laid.
>>
>>57090813
To be able to use AutoCAD on the go.
>>
>>57090368
If done right and you give it good marketing it will sell well
>>
>>57091425

There's no way to do them 'right', its a dogshit mistake of an idea in the past. Why you people love resurrecting old failed ideas is beyond me.
>>
>>57091486
>its a dogshit mistake of an idea in the past

but it isn't
>>
>>57091486
It only failed because the hardware was not good enough. Now it is and no one is making a device like this.
>>
>>57090792
went through a semester with an iPad and a Nex 7 RDPed into a server at home once, it was alright but I wouldn't have any complaints with a nice self contained and purpose-built device to accomplish it

on my phone? awful, tiny screen and if I was going to carry around a clunkass keyboard I might has well have just gone the whole mile and brought a tablet with it too

>>57090813
they used to have a great niche for shit like field data collection and making road warriors look more important than they actually are

nowadays it's just the experience of it, phones and tablets just feel plain gimped and overly internet-reliant to me, they work, but they're not nearly as exciting or enjoyable to use
>>
>>57091486
>failed
why do people keep treating these things like mass-market products destined for every household?

they're not, they never were, they stopped making them because they were pointlessly overpowered for what they were commonly used for by the rise of PDAs and smartphones and too niche to sell profitably for what they were actually good at
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.