[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

openSUSE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

Hi /g/,
I've got a question about dualbooting openSUSE and Windows…
I'd like to install openSUSE Leap 42.1 on my machine alongside Windows 10, Is there a way to do this using the Windows bootloader?
I've tried a few times but there were really 2 outcomes: SUSE hijacked the bootprocess anyway or left my PC unbootable (installed Xubuntu over SUSE to get it to boot again, then put windows back into the MBR, left xubuntu unbootable, but hey, Windows booted again)
What are the options I need to set in the SUSE installer to achieve this?
Btw: This is my current partitioning setup:
350MB Windows Boot Partition NTFS
380GB Windows Install Partition NTFS
90GB GNU/Linux Extended partition
25GB GNU/Linux Root Partition ext4
60GB GNU/Linux home Partition XFS
3GB GNU/Linux Swap Partition swap
450MB Windows Recovery Partition

Why use the windows bootloader, you ask?
Well, I really NEED windows, on a daily basis almost, so I can't afford to fuck up my bootloader because I was tinkering with it. That's why I wan't the windows bootloader to be in charge. I can't fuck it up, if I screw up my GNU/Linux, sure I'll reinstall, but windows will always remain bootable.
(Yes, I know the GNU/Linux partition doesn't completely add up to 90GB, I rounded some of the numbers)
>>
>>57083596
Grub can handle Windows just fine whereas the Windows boot loader won't recognize the openSUSE installaton afaik.
>>
>>57083596
You have the following options:

1. create a designated /boot partition (a few hundred megabytes, ext2. pref. primary but modern grub will handle them just fine even if they are logical). This way even if your linux installation fucks up you still get into a working grub and not grub rescue, I'd do this.
2. install gahnoo+loonix, let it install grub, boot into windows, install easyBCD, restore windows boot record then add grub to the windows boot menu using easyBCD.
3. suicide
>>
>>57083646
I know using GRUB works, problem is just that I like to tinker with my linux install, which can lead to me fucking up my bootloader, so if I use GRUB for booting both windows and linux, and I manage to fuck it up... well, I'm screwed...
That's why I want to use the windows bootloader, so my windows will always be bootable
>>
>>57083702
Unless you badly screw up your grub.conf or delete /boot, which of both you can always take a backup of, none of the tinkering will bork your bootloader. It's much more likely that you will screw up somewhere else. Also, you could just reinstall Grub within a few minutes.
>>
File: inst-overview.png (151KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
inst-overview.png
151KB, 960x720px
>>57083690
Thanks for your advice, I'll be sure to try this!
(I'm sorry about the GNU/Linux meme, you know how people around here can be...)
Just to be sure, these are the things I need to set, right?
>>
>>57083734
DISABLE THE FIREWALL, kek.
>>
>>57083726
Believe me, I have a talent for borking shit.
I once managed to screw up my BIOS while trying to install Linux. Couldn't fix it myself, took it to the shop, took them a week to get it fixed, in th end they flashed the BIOS and it worked...
>>
>>57083750
Screenshot I found online and edited, not my actual install...
Also, why would you want to disable the firewall? Never had any trouble with it...
>>
>>57083758
You should consider buying a tablet.
>>
File: achievement-unlocked.jpg (11KB, 552x414px) Image search: [Google]
achievement-unlocked.jpg
11KB, 552x414px
>>57083770
I'd say it's quite an achievement, I've never heard anyone else that was able to fuck up their BIOS by installing an OS.
>>
>>57083690
thanks for the suggestion, it worked, curently running SUSE through windows bootloader :D You're awesome anon!
>>
>>57084667
You might want to get rid of all the patterns and disable recommended packages in zypp.conf, otherwise every update will pull all the stuff you unistalled. Git-gui, enfuse and shit like that. On the other hand if this is baby's first loonix, leave it as it is.
>>
>>57083780
To be honest it's pretty easy when you use EFI systems and fuck up by deleting /EFI.
>>
Dual booting is usually silly now that VMs exist. If you have more than one hard disk, disconnect the rest, do a clean install, then select boot device on startup if you must dual/multi boot.

Dual booting was fine on my 366 Celeron a million years ago. I don't do it anymore.

Just load Virtualbox on top of your Windows install then install Linux. It's MUCH easier than conventional installs and you don't need install media since you can load from a downloaded .iso file. Learn about Snapshots and rebooting the VM to a clean state. I run Linux and Windows VMs on Windows and Linux hosts. Fuck "switching", give me more choice. I don't pay for software so I don't support Microsoft. (Use is not support. Money is support.)
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.