[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making an external HDD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 14764659396921936172555.jpg (302KB, 1800x1350px) Image search: [Google]
14764659396921936172555.jpg
302KB, 1800x1350px
I want to make my HDD into external HDD. After looking for enclosures on Amazon and seeing some videos, I'm not sure if I have removed everything I need. Most enclosures are small. What i'm holding in my hand is 10x15 cm (3,9 x 5.9 inches). I think it's too big, but it looks just like the thing in videos.
What enclosures can you suggest me? I was looking at inateck. They look neat.
Anything else a dumbo should know before doing this?
>>
>>57082877
just get a flash drive like everyone else.
>>
>>57082877
any 3.5" enclosure should work with any 3.5" drive. Don't get a 2.5" enclosure, those are for laptop drives.

note that 3.5" drives require more power to spin up than you can count on getting from a USB port (USB 2.0 only delivers 2.5 watts) so they generally need a wall wart. only laptop drives can (usually) run straight from the port.
>>
>>57083030
1) But my HDD is already 3,9 inches. How can a 3,5 inches be sufficient?
2) USB 3.0 port is okay?
>>
>>57083070
1.) you're measuring it sloppily. and/or the fact that the commonly-known measurement is rounded off a bit
2.) USB 3 can deliver more power. Usually. But all the drive boxes have to be backwards-compatible if they're plugged into a USB 2.0 port, so they may not take advantage of the extra power. In all cases it'll work, you just may or may not need to use a wall wart.
>>
>>57083070
3.5 inches is the size of the platters inside, not the drive itself.
>>
>>57083157
>>57083171
So what I'm holding in my hand is HDD with some components I still need to unscrew? I'm not sure what though. There aren't any obvious screw anywhere.
>>
>>57083179
Wew lad. Get a 3.5in enclosure, stick it in. Done
>>
>>57083179

No dude. The drives where the data is stored. They need to stay inside. Are you trolling? They are basically like a cd/dvd but much denser so they can store more data. That's how hard drives work...
>>
File: IMG_3448_s.jpg (77KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3448_s.jpg
77KB, 800x600px
>>57082877
Nice harddrive bruh, buying an external 3.5" case will do the job, but doesn't make sense in that you'll need a 12V external adapter, matching cases are much more expensive than 2.5" ones and the bulk reduces portability.
If you're really uncertain about the sizing, remove the top cover with a torx screwdriver and some prying, and then measure the platter size that way.
>>
>people replying to a bait thread.

OP if you're not baiting, just head over to your local Apple™ Store and I'm sure they'll be able to assist you at the Genius™ Bar.
>>
>>57083393
>>57083351
fuck I live in a small town, okay, there are no electronic shops here. Never done this shit before, if you read first post then I already stated that I'm confused about the sizes since in tutorial videos they use standard enclosures but the HDDs looked just like mine.
>>
>>57083414
>b, but doesn't make sense in that you'll need a 12V external adapter, matching cases are much more expensive than 2.5" o

Just buy a fucking enclosure for 3.5" and put it in there.
>>
>>57083414
Cuz they're all the same exact size man. HDDs only come in 3.5" and 2.5".
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.