[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How hard is Arch Linux to use as a beginner?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 12

File: arch.png (4KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
arch.png
4KB, 259x194px
I've tried out Ubuntu and Mint but Arch looked pretty interesting since the user has a lot more control over their OS. I know basic shell commands was considering wiping Windows 10 for Arch on my laptop
>>
its hard to setup I believe, I think using it is the same as any other distro (though I wouldnt know, I failed the install, and it takes too long to dl everything on my internet to want to try again)
>>
>>57078960
It's not hard, partitioning can be a bitch if you don't have a single empty disk to install it on.

Just don't impulsively update your shit once you get everything working.
>>
>>57078960
Follow a youtube video on the installation.
Make sure to install packages when chrooted in after base installation, install xorg, firmware, wicd, and a window manager/desktop environment. Then you can optionally install yaourt for the user repositories, which are pretty sweet. Arch isn't impossible, figured that shit out when I was 16, but most half-brained wintards will tell you otherwise.
>>
File: 1476510764929.jpg (29KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1476510764929.jpg
29KB, 320x320px
>>57081135
>half-brained wintards
Exhibit A
>>
Really not that hard
Just use Arch Anywhere or Architect, makes it a piece of cake.
>>
>>57078960
Remember to look up if your wireless controller is supported from the original iso, if not better try and find out how to tether via usb/android or get the firmware onto the live usb before you install, even if you forget to install a network manager atleast you'll always be able to be connected booting from usb.
>>
>>57078960
Remember to look up if your wireless controller is supported from the original iso, if not better try and find out how to tether via usb/android or get the firmware onto the live usb before you install, even if you forget to install a network manager atleast you'll always be able to be connected booting from usb
>>
>>57078960
>>57079295

installed arch-Linux in an afternoon
running xfce4
nearly pulled my hair out during the installation
so fucking worth it though
>>
Just follow faqs if you get in trouble, since it's probably a recurring issue that was already dealt with.
>>
if in doubt, you can always install antergos instead, which is basically arch with an installer and several DEs.
>>
>>57078960
Not hard at all.

Moved straight from Windows to Arch with no prior Linux experience. You literally just follow a set of instructions and Google any issues you encounter.
>>
>>57081194
Architect isn't developed anymore, use Arch-Anywhere.
>>
It might of been worth it in the previous decade, but installing Arch at this point is not going to teach you how linux works or offer you more control over your system, since all of that is deferred to systemd now anyway.

LFS or Slackware is probably what you're looking for.
>>
>>57078960
install it in a vm first in case you change your mind
but I guess one advantage of deleting you old OS is that you can't turn back
>>
>>57078960
It's not that hard. I think you should try, because that will make you learn more about how GNU/Linux-based distributions work. But after that you better go back to a regular distribution like Fedora, because Arch is very unstable and its repos are rather poor (i'm not talking about AUR, but not everyone wants to compile weird packages made by some highschoolers)
>>
>>57078960
In my opinion arch is way more comfortable to use since it usually does what you told it to do. Nothing more and nothing less in (contrast to shitbuntu).
Additionally the arch wiki is one of the best resource for linux related stuff. Even the initial partitioning/installation stuff is pretty straightforward in case you don't use some odd hardware with weird behaviour.
>>
>>57078960
Arch is for pro 1337 hackers such as myself, not noobs! You sould use noobuntu if you are a beginner babby. Stay away from my distro you fucking noobs
>>
What happened to Evo/Lution?
Or Architect?
Are they ded?
>>
>>57079295
It is not hard if you know what you're doing. The installation process is very straightforward.
>>
i trying to setup right now
I got evey thing fixed except for sound
I finally changed the default device for alsa
sound test works but sound doesn't seem to work in firefox
I tried installing pulseaudio but that isn't working either
i'm lost
>>
>>57083317
You should just have installed a DE like KDE that does that shit for you if you're not sure what you're doing.
>>
>>57083337
isn't kde heavy?
I need something really light
I installed lxde
do you have a suggestion?
>>
>>57078960
100 step installation and a lot of post-install configurations. After that everything turns fine, until you try to upgrade it and broke the entire thing.
>>
>>57083428
Your mum's heavy, faggot.
>>
>>57078960
>>57081135
how 'bout using ArchAnywhere? It's supposed to be easy install process.
>>
>>57078960
Daily reminder:

https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
>>
>>57083458
well fuck off i fixed my shit anyways
>>
>>57078960
It's not diffcult. It's almost just copy pasting the instructions one by one.

The only pitfalls are partitioning and making sure that you boot the install image with UEFI enabled.
>>
>>57083507
Based Micay
>>
>>57078960
>Noob
Ubuntu
Mint
Debian

>Intermediate
Fedora
CentOS
Gentoo

>Professional / Expert / Hardcore Hacker:
Arch
>>
>>57083648
whys everyone saying partitionings hard,I found using parted really straight forward, my instals were failing at some point after chrooting
>>
>>57083507
Arch has always been a simple distribution in terms of the developer
perspective, not the user one. Using systemd made it simpler than ever
in that regard because much more work is taken care of by both the
systemd developers and all of the projects shipping unit files.

It has never been a minimalist distribution. Splitting packages is rare
compared to other distributions, and dependencies aren't made optional
whenever possible.

It has also never been a distribution offering much user freedom /
choice compared to Gentoo and even Debian. There are very few cases
where there are multiple packages offering different configurations of
the same project. There's no equivalent to update-alternatives or the
comparable uses of USE flags. Changing /bin/sh from Bash will be broken,
as will changing the python symlink to point to python2 instead of
python3 even though this works on some other distributions. It doesn't
strive to offer choices like this, and never has. It would mean a *lot*
more complexity on the development side of things along with major
deviations from upstream.

Arch is the *opposite* of a user-centric freedom. The opinion of users
has no weight here. Only the developers have an opinion, and there
aren't voting systems as there are in Debian. Technical decisions are
made based on merit via consensus among the developers, not popularity.
>>
>>57083943
>Arch is the *opposite* of a user-centric freedom. The opinion of users
>has no weight here.
Are those shitlords trying to deny my experiences?
>>
>>57083975
Arch is the opposite of a distribution with lots of user freedom. Users
will come and go based on whether they like the technical decisions made
by the developers. The popularily of those decisions has no impact on
how things are done, regardless of how vocal users are about it.
>>
>>57083764
I'm trying not to use the word "cringe" anymore, but this is really rustling my jimmies, in a non-pleasant way.
>>
> If I wanted systemd bloat and a dash of hypocrisy

What hypocrisy? When have you seen the developers state that they care
about user freedom, or that the distribution is based on minimalism?

Community memes don't define the distribution, technical choices by the
developers do. It's clearly not based on what you say it is, and *never*
has been. It has always used significantly more disk space and a
measurable amount of additional memory than Debian and especially Gentoo
as a consequence of keeping things simple (again, from a development
perspective).
>>
The arch mailing list is great fun

https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2016-August/041686.html
>>
I would not recommend Arch to a beginner even if they use an easy Arch-based distro like Antergos or Manjaro. Arch's bleeding edge nature means you'll run into exotic bugs that you'll have to wait to get patched.
>>
>using VM
>not formatting your HDD every 2 days to test a new distro
You're doing it wrong
>>
>>57082217
>fsociety
WEWLAD
>>
>>57084296
>>57084078
that's because arch is a study project for the developers
>>
In Russia at /s/, a local AIB, we call them archeschoolkids.

Arch is a toy for beginners who for the first time meet a minimal installer. Although Ubuntu has Ubuntu Core, Debian has Debootstrap and so forth, they of course don't know that. This distro is for people who wants to learn CLI and how to configure X and whatnot but it isn't ready for production because of instability.
>>
Use this, https://arch-anywhere.org/
Pacman is super easy to use, and all you have to do to build something from aur is install git, clone the aur repo, and do makepkg -si.
>>
>>57084484
1) cyka blyat
2) Go back to mail.ru, pls.
>>
>>57083764
>>edgey teenager
>arch

ftfy
>>
>>57083883
because the kind of people who install arch have very little actual knowledge of linux and just follow youtube videos.
>>
>>57078960
If you know how to read steps in a wiki, if you know how to search questions in a forum, if you know how to talk with people in a chat room, then, but only then, you are prepared for Arch Linux.
>>
install gentoo.
>>
Wiping is usually silly when sampling a different OS. VMs are much more convenient, and when you are ready to switch you can run a Linux host and Windows guest. I don't deprive myself of choices when choices cost nothing.
>>
>>57084484
Gentoo is Kremlin approved though. Gotcha
>>
>>57085658
>>57085613
>>
I used to distro hop every 2 months or so, starting clean every time. I installed arch once and never looked back. Yes, setup is a pain but you only do it once. I've been running the same install for 3-4 years and it's still as fast as the day I set it up.

The AUR is great and pacman is so easy.
>>
>>57085685
pacaur is decent if you find yourself using the AUR often.
>>
>>57085685
>setup is a pain
I can't wait till you, like all morons who install arch, eventual wreck your system and have to move to a proper distro.
>>
>>57085713
Sometimes I consider switching to debian testing but I like choosing every single package on my system. I don't think this system will wreck with anything arch-specific, I do pacman -Syu about once a day.
>>
>>57078960
It's hard to setup for the first time, but after that it's pretty smooth sailing IMO. I'd test it out in a VM first, so you get the hang of the process. After that it's your ordinary rolling release distro.

Definitely an interesting one to tinker with. I liked it so much that I've installed it on several PCs and use it as my main OS.
>>
>>57085735
Do you also enjoy all the bloat that arch comes with?
>>
>>57085755
bloat? https://www.archlinux.org/groups/x86_64/base/

This is every package in a base install.

You'll have a hard time finding something without a purpose.
>>
>>57085790
Not him, but read >>57083507
>>
File: 1458416870063.jpg (21KB, 300x316px) Image search: [Google]
1458416870063.jpg
21KB, 300x316px
>>57082428
This anon gets it.

After a year of Arch and seeing the cluster that is systemd I feel like I should have went with systemd-less distro from the beginning.
(Well I could run Arch OpenRC but that is paradoxical)
>>
>>57078960
Just literally type the fucking commands from the wiki. Not hard.
>>
>>57082217
>fsociety
My sides
>>
>>57085790
>a Linux kernel with every module
available and every feature enabled
bloat
>>
>>57085823
They deleted the guide.
>>
>>57083943 and >>57082428
These two posts are the mains reasons you should stay away from Arch Linux.
>>
>>57085861
the installation guide is still on the wiki. no beginners guide though, edgey teens weeping all the the place.
>>
>>57085823
The guide has been obfuscated to make it more difficult for a brand new user to install arch.

Arch isn't meant for someone who has never used linux before so i can understand why they'd do it.
>>
>>57085861
You mean they deleted the so-called "Beginner's guide"
And this is for the better, it's not about "copying commands" like a robot.

Learn how your system work, you will see that the current "guide" is more than enough.
>>
File: Untitled.png (21KB, 978x512px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
21KB, 978x512px
Arch is the easiest distribution to use and rice, which is why the MORONS on /g/ use it.
>>
>>57085898
Exactly. It's meant for people who have spent 3 months on Ubuntu and feel like it isn't cool enough.
>>
>>57085915
Kill yourself jordan, you're the biggest cuck on the board.
>>
>>57082217
>fsociety
I seriously hope you die soon, Anon
>>
>>57085915
>Pass user since 2012
wew
>>
>>57085932
I'm not a cuck but I am drinking today so expect a friggin flood of shitposts
>>
File: 1446638324755.jpg (53KB, 800x676px) Image search: [Google]
1446638324755.jpg
53KB, 800x676px
>>57085915
>KDE
>6700HQ
>970M
>2160p
>alienware
>>
>>57083764
Bitch, you watch too much television. Plus you ain't no fucking hacker. Dick breath.
>>
>>57085897
>>57085914
*tips fedora*
*vapes profoundly*
>>
>>57085917
Lol I know RIGHT
thhey totaly ought to
>install gentoo
>>
>>57083764
This is what you want to believe yet pretty much nobody in the professional world (= people earning money) out there is using arch.
>>
>>57078960
arch = a pretty fun hard video game
debian = a desktop os you should probably get used to
>>
>>57085950
Ugh, great
>>
>>57085939
>>57085953
kek
>>
>>57085886
>arch isn't LFS so you shouldn't use it
Jesus fuckshit, idiot.

Arch isn't about ultimate control. It isn't a LOLNOOB system any moron (i.e. /g/ user) can use, either. It's a happy medium in the middle of all of this. It's a system you set up to work within the framework of a normal GNU desktop system (Arch isn't really that good for server/workstation use, nor should it be, again, that's not its niche) and keeps up to date with a very good rolling release that doesn't just toss bleeding edge packages in because they're available (4.8.x Linux kernel still isn't in Arch stable yet, as an example, because Arch makes sure that shit works first).

It's pathetic that the kiddies buttmad that they aren't GNU experts toss around bullshit on here about distros that they know nothing about. Fuck, they're probably still sucking on the Microsoft Windows-teat primarily and fancy themselves GNU experts because they managed to install Gentoo once in a VM.
>>
>>57085963
Care to counter what I said in >>57085914 without resorting to memes?

What do you when your system breaks or get the slightest of an issue?
You come crying to the Arch forums instead of reading the man page that could have saved everyone's time.
>>
>>57085993
>Angry arch user can't come to terms with his poor distro choice
>>
>>57085977
>people earning money
LOL. On this board it means sucking dick or asking mom for it. (if all else fails ask grandma).
>>
I think Arch's guide is plenty good for someone who's been around Linux for a while, but hasn't actually installed it in a long time (or ever).
They take you through all the steps, direct you to extra information on stuff you might want to check out, provide helpful incantations and even use automated tools to handle stuff like chrooting.
When you have a functional and stable computer on the side (to access information online and serve as a backup), and some time on your hands, installing Arch after ~4 years of Debian/Fedora has been pretty easy, with only a few headscratchers before I got a system that's convenient and stable with a few low-priority issues I want to improve.

If you're not willing to actually sit down and follow the installation process, you can get an Arch-derived distribution that automates almost everything and leaves you with a system that has access to Arch's tools, repos and knowledge base.
>>
>>57085977
I don't like this argument. Taxi drivers don't drive kit cars but that doesn't mean they are bad cars. I mean I hate arch but no one claims it's the best choice for a professional work station.
>>
>>57085993

I didn't mean to trigger you or anyone this hard.
I'm deeply sorry anon.
>>
>>57086018
You must be 18 or over to post on 4chan, kid.
>>
>>57086043
I get tired of these shills trying so hard to prove one linux over another. I have a Red Hat certification. You punks can go fuck yourself. Arch won't get you a job.
>>
>>57086071
:^)
>>
>>57086071
Shit don't tell the mods, please.

>>57086075
>working with computer
enjoy your RSI and hunch back.
>>
>>57085950
You don't HAVE to shit up the board you know
>>
It took 80 posts for the thread to turn into another episode of "Arch Linux shills and script kiddies VS the world"
>>
>>57086123
I literally only come to /g/ to engage in distro wars. Nothing else good on this board any more.
>>
File: pol_plays_oregon_trail.gif (2MB, 365x190px) Image search: [Google]
pol_plays_oregon_trail.gif
2MB, 365x190px
>>57082217
what makes it worthy?
how is the gap between using arch and any other much-easir-to-install distro?
did you feel the archshill right after the desktop showed up? what's the big deal?

please post your review senpai
I'm seriously considering wasting time installing arch
>>
>>57086118
desu it will be my normal posts mostly
also I don't have anything better to do, /g/ is literally my life outside of work.
>>
>>57086075
No, Arch won't get you a job. Knowledge of GNU in general will.

I can effectively use any GNU distro I want. I am comfortable using Ubuntu, RH, Fedora, Arch, Gentoo, LFS, you fucking name it.

And what do I choose to run on my home desktop? Arch. Why? Because that's the best use case for my home PC to me.

If I were using a server, I'd use Debian Stable or RH.

Again, /g/ is full of kids and idiots with zero fucking perspective about anything. Honestly, if this is the amount of "intelligence" this generation has, we should probably move the bar to enter the real world to at least 30 years old, maybe by then you kids will have figured shit out.
>>
>>57083764
hardcore hacker here
can confirm
>>
>>57086164
If a prospective employee comes into my company and starts bragging about Arch. He'll be shown the door. We don't hire cuckfags.
>>
>>57086043
What I wanted to say is that if Arch were so good and yet easy (enough, for non-plebs) and without huge maintenance overhead then people out there would use it. But in the real world, e.g. looking at computer pools and stuff, places where ease of maintenance and functionality count, nobody is choosing arch.

Arch can still be a good distro, I'm not saying it's bad. But it apparently has drawbacks making it more suitable for private home computers operated by people with either enough time or an interest in setting up/maintaining their operating system.
Arch is not the only distro falling into this category.

>>57086075
>Arch won't get you a job.
Exactly this.
Too many people here try to somehow justify the huge time investments they made by ricing arch/gentoo/whatever.
>>
>>57086237
I seriously hope people here don't actually believe their claims that running a certain distro gives them the skill needed to enter a professional environment. It's just bait isn't it? I mean I have used gentoo exclusively for as long as I care to remember but I know I could never get a job based on my experience using this distro.
>>
>>57086289
Post ur deskrtop
>>
>>57086289
>I seriously hope people here don't actually believe their claims that running a certain distro gives them the skill needed to enter a professional environment
Oh boy...
>>
>>57086309
show me yours and I'll show you mine

>>57086338
B-but I thought everyone came here just to shit post and bait. No one is actually being serious?
>>
File: Untitled.png (175KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
175KB, 1920x1080px
>>57086350
>>57086350
I uh,,, use Windows
>>
Why is everyone shitting on systemd, what makes it so bad ?
>>
File: 2016-10-15-171632_1024x768_scrot.jpg (210KB, 1131x707px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-15-171632_1024x768_scrot.jpg
210KB, 1131x707px
>>57086401
everything. But in the context of arch not having the choice is the main issue.

>>57086392
>>
>>57086401
Lennart Pottery. Worked for the NSA or some shit like that.
>>
>>57086423
That's not ur current desktop :(
>>
>>57085735
>I like choosing every single package on my system
You can do that with any distro that comes with a net-install
>>
>>57082217
>fsociety
xD
>>
>>57086201
and which company is that?
>>
>>57086499
His imaginary one. Checked.
>>
>>57086511
thanks

checked
>>
>>57086457
Sssshhhhh he likes to think his system in """"minimal""""

>>57086437
Not doing to desktopdox myself
>>
>>57086560
I posted mine, you gotta post urs
>>
>>57086499
If I thought it was any of your fucking business I would tell you.
>>
>>57078960
If you can read the wiki you'll be alright
>>
File: 1457260206078.jpg (519KB, 2170x1070px) Image search: [Google]
1457260206078.jpg
519KB, 2170x1070px
>>57079295
>>
>>57078960
How does arch compare to Slackware?
>>
File: no.jpg (190KB, 1124x886px) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
190KB, 1124x886px
>>57081135
>yaourt
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_helpers
>>
>>57088033
As already mentioned elsewhere
>>57085705
>pacaur
>>
>>57078960
maybe you should try manjaro as a intermediate step
>>
>>57086392
>calls his computers rigs
>>
>>57088097
That's the appropriate name
>>
Arch and Gentoo are diy kits, like model airplanes or build-it-youself electronics. You can learn a lot that way.

Others aren't interested in that phase any more, and just like to have a Linux box that's reliable, secure, fast, and with good support.

~ Debian guy
>>
>>57088033
>>57088048
What aur helper do I use then
>>
>>57088433
Pacaur, as has been mentioned several times.
>>
>>57082217
>nearly pulled my hair out during the installation
>fsociety
makes sense
>>
Antergos
n
t
e
r
g
o
s
>>
>>57082217
>nearly pulled my hair out during the installation
You're talking about post-install when you have to set your DE and shit, right?
I can't understand how you can fail at copy/paste command lines from the wiki
I give you that the grub install is not explicitly written on the guide but it's one click away.
>>
>>57088182
Then you should be using Slackware not Debian.
Thread posts: 135
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.