[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>iPajeets will defend this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 6

File: 1453094320006.png (415KB, 547x508px) Image search: [Google]
1453094320006.png
415KB, 547x508px
>iPajeets will defend this
>>
>>57076662
Explain??????????!
>>
>>57076697
>I can't read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>57076662
planned obsolescence on the ishit is kinda a given
>>
>>57078987
I don't think it is planned obsolescence so much as they can't fix it without going back and producing new iPhone6s with out the flaw, and that's just not practical, the device is EoL.

But they also aren't handling it in any reasonable way, like free replacement or cheap upgrade to the 6S/7. They're just sitting on it, waiting for the court cases to go to trial.
>>
>>57079234
>ack and producing new iPhone6s with out the flaw
but it's not a hardware problem afaik
>>
>>57079369
>but it's not a hardware problem afaik
Then you know nothing about the problem.
>>
>>57079380
you're right, I got confused with something else

It doesn't make sense though how this hardware problem surfaces at a time when the device is reaching EOL

It's just too large of a coincidence
It seems:

Either this is an intentional move to create publicity against Apple for a problem that was always present but never discussed earlier

or

It's designing hardware with a certain lifetime in mind and not caring about failure rates after the next iteration gets released
>>
>>57076662
I thought Indians championed Android?
>>
>>57076662

Dont bend your phone

problem solved.
>>
>>57076662
the fuck is a touch disease
>>
>>57079454
It hasn't "just surfaced". As was pointed out by that iPadRehab woman for cases that occurred while the devices were under warranty the owner would have gone to the Apple Store and had it replaced, probably free as a warranty fix if they didn't detect any reason to refuse a free repair (like water).

However, now that most of the iPhone6s are going out of warranty they now charge $300-400 to replace with a refurbished iPhone6, so more people are going to third parties for repair and the issue is becoming more apparent.
>>
>>57079478
AIDS
>>
>>57079478
Your touch screen becomes unresponsive to any touch but they aren't bricked. Iphones are suffering from it and apple hasn't done much about it.
>>
>>57079493
That makes perfect sense. Completely overlooked that perspective. No one was crying about this when the phone was still new and in warranty
>>
>>57079527
Does iPhone SE have touch disease?
>>
>>57079527
At least their phones aren't literal bombs
>>
>>57079541
I don't know. My 5s responds just fine.
>>
>>57079547
Kek. Isis starts buying samsung stocks and using notes to hijack planes.
>>
>>57079541

no, neither does the 6S, the flaw was fixed.
Always wait for the S version, when they get all the kinks worked out. Non-S versions are beta tests. Cant wait to see what fail the 7 has.
>>
>>57079460
They champion both, these types of threads are probably 90% $0.001 paid posts by Indians probably sitting across the room from each other copy pasting all the arguments they're supposed to be using that day.

Case in point, iPhone thread, some guy starts talking about note7s catching fire: >>57079568

Some one will probably reply saying samsung is shit anyway and true patricians buy based xiaomi phones and post battery life comparisons or something like that.
>>
>>57079460
It is. Everything you hate is poo in loo
>>
>>57076662
>I am a Samsung phone. I explode, I am the problem.
>I am an iPhone, I explode, you are the problem. And a billion iSheep will defend it for free because they are total idiots.
Apple anybody.
>>
samsung is shit, buy based xiaomi phones, they have amazing battery life
>>
>>57079467
Good. God. Plz die in a fire.
>>
File: 1448329051865.jpg (280KB, 1013x1073px) Image search: [Google]
1448329051865.jpg
280KB, 1013x1073px
>>57079478
>>
>>57076662
>some iphone has an issue
>blogspam picks it up and gives it a marketing name
>third-party repair shops "confirm" that issue and indecently claim they are the only ones that can fix it. Apple should pay them
>law firms pick it up and are suing Apple over it
>blogspam wonders why Apple doesn't ignore its lawyer's advice and issue a statement
>>
File: 1462564212501.webm (818KB, 696x662px) Image search: [Google]
1462564212501.webm
818KB, 696x662px
>>57080048
>>third-party repair shops
iToddlers will literally say anything to defend their fruity toddler toys
>>
>>57080106
so former Apple Geniuses "confirm" it too. those totally have no ulterior motive to badmouth Apple, it's not like they were fired or sth.
>>
>>57080173
>t. iPajeet
>>
My sisters iphone 6 had this problem and it was laughably easy to repair. I just opened it up and placed a piece of rubber under the board.
>>
>>57080173
>current apple geniuses confirm it's a thing
>"heh heh, dem former ones are only saying it's also a thing to badmouth apple"
Your $0.02 iTunes card will be mailed to you shortly
>>
>pay $1000 for a facebook machine in your pocket goy
web 2.0 and mobile were a mistake.
>>
>>57080233
>>current apple geniuses confirm it's a thing
then name one. lawsuit couldn't.
>>
>>57080259
>then name one
wew lad, let me just call up the apple geniuses at the local apple store
>>
>>57079538
> phone has waranty
> pay for repair

Choose one, fagot.
You iPajeets are wors that microsoft chills
>>
>>57080048
>>third-party repair shops "confirm" that issue and indecently claim they are the only ones that can fix it.
And they're right, because Apple doesn't do component level repair. They never have.
>Apple should pay them
They never say this.
>>
>>57079460
everyone on /g/ is a pajeet paid to shitpost with other pajeets paid to shitpost here.
>>
>>57080285
Most iPhone6s are out of warranty period Pajeet.
Owners of in warranty iPhone6s wouldn't be paying for repair (replacement) unless Apple found some liquid in the phone to blame it on.
>>
>>57080290
except ifixit said so and ifixit is the primary source for all that "touch disease" blogspam. they also want the proprietary board-level-schematics from Apple because their fix is that good.
>>
>>57080173
> 2 rupees. Did you even try?
>>
>>57080305
don't they make their water damage indicators in a way that voids most people's warranty?
>>
Another thing is that many countries have consumer laws that cover defective products for much longer than the warranties that most companies put on their products.
It is part of the reason why "extended warranty" plans are not necessary or borderline illegal in those countries.

If Apple admits it is a defect they will have to, by law, service these devices for years to come in these countries.
>>
>>57080336
no: https://support.apple.com/en-mn/HT204104
>>
>>57080336
Yes. That's part of the problem.
If you actually dismantle the device you could visually check the components to see if there is any liquid damage, however they just put a couple of stickers in the most likely entry points and call it a day, if they change color you lose warranty, even if there is no liquid damage to be found.
>>
>>57076662
>iPajeet
>implying pajeets actually have money to buy iPhones
>>
>>57080355
length of warranty doesn't matter when it's a design defect like claimed. a design defect was already there when sold and thus you are eligible for an repair.
>>
>>57080397
That's law as determined by your country's consumer laws.

It varies from country to country.
>>
>>57080445
sure, but that part is more meaningful than length and prolly true almost anywhere - even in the US.
>>
>>57080383
>you could visually check the components to see if there is any liquid damage
you cannot. water dries.
>>
>>57079454
This is unfortunately a semi common industry practice. They use components with an estimated lifetime/time before possible failure just longer than the warranty period. It's not as malicious as most people think.

When they source or design(for example) hardware buttons or plugs. They take the estimated user button presses/plug and unplugs to the connector that the component will experience during the warranty period(plus a little extra for heavy use customers). Then pick components with around that durability/lifetime. It's a cost thing. A device built entirely with space shuttle/satellite grade components would cost a fortune.

Everything from storage to capacitors to LEDs have a set number of hours before they become likely fail. Even really high grade components that are designed to last will eventually fail. Component manufacturers usually list how many hours of use it will last, recommending replacement before that point is reached.

The problem here is that Apple expects you to buy a new phone within 2 years, as a lot of there customers do. Or whenever a new one comes out.

It's not planned obsolescence, it's cutting manufacturing costs to the estimated bare minimum. Sometime they get it wrong and things fail prematurely, or hardware(often third party) does not last as long as it should due to quality control issues.
>>
>>57080550
yes because water doesn't cause corrosion on electronics boards
>>
>>57079638
They probably have bots to spam the threads by now. Cheaper than paid shills.
>>
>>57080605
bullshit.
Apple used the same touch controllers since the iPhone 5. those don't fail.
ifixit's theory is that the iPhone 6 design is flawed and bends where the touch controller is, thus damaging it.
>>
>not buying the se

fuck the 6
>>
>>57080550
>water dries.
Water STAINS.
It doesn't just disappear when it dries.
>>
>>57079773
I don't know if Apple devices have included hardware warranties or paid ones, but...

I suspect that the second the warranty for everyone who bought the device the day it came out ends, they complain en mass. You didn't hear the complaints from people who previously had issues because they had/could get it fixed for free.
>>
>>57080605
The Touch IC has a much longer expected life span than 2 years, it is just that on the iPhone 5 the Touch IC had underfill injected under it which helps absorb the stress of bending so the solder balls don't crack and the board had a better aluminium housing for support.
With the iPhone 6 (and 6 Plus) the phone, and board, became longer which makes it easier to bend, they didn't underfill the IC and it has less aluminum housing around that area of the board.
>>
>>57080688
bullshit theory.
how hard can it be to read the fucking primary source for all that blogspam?
>In both the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, the Touch IC chips connect to the logic board via an array of itty-bitty solder balls—“like a plate resting on marbles,” Jessa explains. Over time, as the phone flexes or twists slightly during normal use, those solder balls crack and start to lose contact with the board.
>
>“At first, there may be no defect at all. Later you might notice that the screen is sometimes unresponsive, but it is quick to come back with a hard reset,” Jessa explains. “As the crack deepens into a full separation of the chip-board bond, the periods of no touch function become more frequent.” Any drops or heavy handling keep chipping away at the cracked solder balls. Damage enough of them, and the connections between the chips and the logic board are severed, signals are lost, touch gets glitchier, and then goes away altogether.
http://ifixit.org/blog/8309/iphone-6-plus-gray-flicker-touch-death/
>>
>>57080605
>This is unfortunately a semi common industry practice. They use components with an estimated lifetime/time before possible failure just longer than the warranty period.

yes and now that it has been normalized in consumer culture in countries like the US expect quality and user repair ability to go completely down the shitter

I don't think it's unfair to have planned obsolescence built in. It's a business strategy and given you're a modern market you have plenty of options to choose a good brand

The only shame is watching quality brands succumb to this strategy
>>
>>57080629
When did they introduce that "hard press"/"long press"/"pressure sensitive" shit. It might have caused people to press harder on the screen.
>>
>>57080758
it's called 3d touch and came with the iPhone 6s.
iPhone 6 doesn't have it.
>>
>>57080718
That's sounds probable. I've dealt with a lot of hardware that failed because shitty manufacturers skimped on solder to save under a penny per component. Fucking foxconn.
>>
>>57080787
foxconn offers all kinds of qualities. you just have to pay them accordingly.

foxconn does make the iPhone.
>>
>>57080748
>It's a business strategy and given you're a modern market you have plenty of options to choose a good brand
let's name one other smartphone maker besides Apple that offers 5 years of software updates.
>>
>>57080822
Microsoft.
>>
>>57080822
>5 years
yeah sure
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624
>>
>>57080728
They probably skimped on solder to save a fraction of a penny per device and underestimated the stress the connections would be under.

It happened with the solder points to the power connector on the original Xbox. Leading to massive profit losses from all the under warranty devices that failed. They eventually just lied about the problem(said it was the cable) and sent out GFI power adapters so the power cut off before the defective devices caught fire. Devices were catching fire, so they fixed the fire issue(and lawsuits) but not the broken devices(passed the warranty period), and devices that were destined to fail.
>>
>>57080838
not old enough and Nokia Lumia 920 didn't get Win10 Mobile.
MS doesn't own qcom an qcom doesn't guarantee SoC updates for that long either.
>>
>>57080748
I've done some electronics design for some basic consumer products, the planned obsolescence isn't even us trying to make your device fail so you have to buy a new one, it's a cost cutting measure for the consumer. The majority of people can be expected to replace their phone lets say every three years. Now, we could make it so every part of the phone can be upgraded, which greatly increases the part, device and manufacturing costs and either makes it far bulkier or requiring a high skill level to swap components. Nobody will buy a brick sized phone. People also can reliably be expected to replace certain devices every so often, so the expected device life is designed around that. Basically, with how fast computing advances, there is no point to your smartphone being built to outlive your grandchildren. We could do it, but you'd pay a stupid amount for a phone you'd have to constantly upgrade with the issue of major advancements in tech obsoleting it immediately, or the issue of the device concept itself becoming obsolete or the requirements of what you do on the device to vastly outstrip what it can do.
If I built a lifespan computer 30 years ago, you'd be trying now to push modern program processing requirements through parallel interfaces, 12v serial connections, etc. As it stands now, serial data and the very low voltage electronics now blow parallel out of the water, and even PCB design has changed majorly. An 80's computer PCB layout won't work with modern GHz range processors.
Basically, devices that get replaced often are built so they last about until people will replace them so they are cheaper, and stuff expected to really hang around or deal with harsh environments is built much tougher, but those run into a whole slew of other issues.
>>
>>57080847
what's your point?
iPhone 4 is from 2010 and adding it to vintage is just logical.
>>
>>57080918
you've obviously never used a """""""""""supported""""""""""" older ithing

actually you couldn't use it because the iphone 4S was unusable after 2 years of updates
>>
>>57080807
>foxconn does make the iPhone

I was not aware of that, explains a lot. Foxconn cuts corners to save money. They make quality components, if you treat the components like fine China. Durability is tested under "ideal user conditions". The vastly underestimate how reckless/hard on devices the average user is.

Like when companies test headphones/battery life in a quiet dimmly lit library.
>>
File: 1457256120726.jpg (296KB, 1000x710px) Image search: [Google]
1457256120726.jpg
296KB, 1000x710px
>iPajeets have defended this
>>
>>57080933
iPhone 5 runs iOS 10 fine.
iOS 7 was a one-time thing.

meanwhile, Google just promised 18-months for their Nexus devices at that time and the rest of of Android OEMs were far away from even that.
>>
>>57080963
you have a point but the hardware and warranty period weren't really designed for 5 years
>>
>>57081025
Wow that's a lot of nonsense. Who says the hardware wasn't designed to last 5 years? You?
>>
>>57081044
you realize product design, including quality of components is designed with a certain eol date in mind right?
>>
>>57080822
You do realize that a phone that has less hardware defects and is serviceable will last longer then a phone that has software updates?
>>
>>57080904
I agree with you and just made the same argument higher up in the thread.
Except for this part.

>it's a cost cutting measure for the consumer

It's a cost cutting measure for profit in this case. These phones do not have slim profit margins, and component quality is not just a choice between high and low end. It's a gradient, and sometimes bare minimum is not acceptable for devices like this.

Foxconn has been known to skimp on materials for load bearing points/components that are designed to be physically stressed. Something as simple as bare minimum solder to make the connection. A larger blob of solder does not cost that much. Plus I've seen them solder to board traces where they should have put a pin through the board and soldered to that instead. They've done it in systems where space is nowhere near an issue, there was abundant space on both sides of the board, with connections that would see untold user wiggling. The iPhone is a different story as space is an issue. But still I've seen them connect external ports to boards like they're surface mount components, with frighteningly small amounts of solder on tiny traces expected to hold up. They may not be as bad as they used to but they still cut corners everywhere they possibly can, if they know they won't be liable they don't care.
>>
>>57081065
It's usually longer than 5 years for most devices depending how rough you treat it. Sometimes it has nothing to do with how rough you treat it. Most if not all of the device will/should last for 5 years. But certain components will fail eventually, it's not a set time it's an estimated time frame. Often with a percentage of components that will out last/under last the bulk off the line. Stuff always falls through the cracks a small percent of the time. It's when that percent gets large that it becomes a problem. Design error, bad batch of materials, screwed by third party manufacturer, shit quality control, take your pick. If someone accident drops their lunch into a vat of electrolyte for capacitors and doesn't tell anyone because he doesn't want to get fired then you can expect a few thousand caps that fail prematurely/perform under spec and cause other problems.
>>
File: 1472223185851.png (458KB, 429x575px) Image search: [Google]
1472223185851.png
458KB, 429x575px
>>57079773
I swear this is orchestrated by a single person or an organization; it can't be a coincidence.
>>
>>57081310
that both Samsung and Apple would have such problems almost at the same time*
>>
>>57079234
>the device is EoL.
They might not be selling it anymore, but they sure as hell still support it until 2020.

>inb4 warranty
the defect was in the device from the first day, its effect just became noticeable after a year.

warranty should cover it.
>>
>>57081712
I have covered warranty several times already.
>>
>>57079547
ha-ha
>>
>>57078633
Explains everything, thanks!
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.