[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gpu's and Blender rendering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

File: blender ex.png (846KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
blender ex.png
846KB, 1024x768px
So this is a very particular question.

I'm wondering, Is it better to have multiple low-end gpu's with say 4gb of ddr3, (maybe 4 GTX 745's or something) and spread the rendering workload over them, or a single larger high-end card like a Titan or Quadro with 8gb ram, or even two mid-range cards with around 2-4gb ddr5 (maybe two gtx 670's)?

Basically I want to know what's a better use of 300-600 bucks? Used or new is not an issue in this case. It's all for making a decent render-farm like computer for my workstation that'll hold me over for a couple years while I work up to some pro-grade parts. I typically use Blender with cycles and do a number of fluid simulations and have a few characters on screen with few if any particle simulations.

My setup is:
CPU: fx-6300 6-core
MB: Asus M5a99fx pro
Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 plus
RAM: 32GB Kingston Hyper X Blue(4x8gb sticks)
PSU: Cooler Master eXtreme 700 Watt
Heatsink: Cooler Master Seidon 120M
Hdd: 2x1TB HDD in raid zero(adding a back-up drive this week)
GPU: GTX 950 SC

Currently I'm planning on upgrading my CPU and getting multiple mid or low range cards to handle things, but maybe sticking with a weaker processor and getting a larger card would be worth it.

Does anyone know what these set-ups would benchmark like?
>>
if this girl was in real life she wouldn't even look at me twice

still
>>
Note multiple GPUs will not increase total available memory. Perhaps RTFM?
https://www.blender.org/manual/render/cycles/gpu_rendering.html

http://blenchmark.com/benchmarks-overview
>>
>>57075271
well I know that much, the total available memory isn't the issue.
Thanks for the link btw
>>
>>57075214
a titan is more than 3 times the performance of a 745
>>
>>57075214
>neon colored hair
Belongs in the trash

>>57075248
Good because she's SJW scum
>>
>>57075399
But I'm also fairly certain it will bottleneck with my cpu.

Unless there is a workaround that I don't know about.
>>
>>57075508
You don't render on both the CPU and GPU at the same time.
>>
>>57075508
you can upgrade the cpu in the future
if they cost the same amount of money don't buy cheaper gpus just because a more powerful one would bottleneck the cpu
>>
>>57075271
>>57075399
well it looks like two 670's are faster than one titan or even a titan black.

>>57075618
from the looks of this, i'm thinking I'll get the 2 670's and either add a third card or upgrade the cpu.

It seems to have the best price to render time, the titan doesn't seem to give much of an edge aside from more ram.
>>
File: nessa19.jpg (42KB, 590x672px) Image search: [Google]
nessa19.jpg
42KB, 590x672px
>>57075590
you can, I use it in a separate instance along with my 950.
>>
>>57075972
Who is this Amazonian goddess?
>>
>>57075590
Rendering can be parallelised.
>>
>>57075214
>32 Gigs of ram
Overkill much
>>
File: blender ex 2.png (502KB, 1024x630px) Image search: [Google]
blender ex 2.png
502KB, 1024x630px
>>57076292
I've pinged at least half of it on a regular basis.
I'd like to have extra rather than be near the max, thoughwith an 8-core I'll probably be near the limit of my set-up.

In my set-up 24GB would be the most I should need. 32 was just to be safe.
>>
>>57075214
drop the mobo
for amd only asrock or gigabyte
drop the psu
just no, pay extra if you dont want to fry your shit
drop the gpu
>gimpforce
>>
>>57076765

I would change the GPU, I honestly prefer amd for most tasks.
Unfortunatley Blender works almost twice as fast with Cuda over steam. The admins say they should be just as compatible but my old rig with two 7850's got steamrolled by a single gtx 750.
If they ever get that compatibility issue fixed then I'm switching over immediately.
As for the motherboard, I've had this asus for years, it's handled more abuse than it honestly should have, and my last gigabyte board died after 6 months.
In my next build I'm planning on an asrock mini Itx and I am definitely getting a better quality psu when I switch over. Something modular as well. but the cm extreme was considered pretty good at the time I got it.
>>
On another note.

I've seen some claim that since the gtx 670 is near the end of it's support cycle and wont be compatible with newer programs.

I'm fairly certain this is bullshit, but I was wondering what the upsides are to getting a newer card with the same capabilities vs and older/cheaper card?
>>
GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
>>
>>57077470
>garbage
>>
>>57077645
>Faster than AYYMD junk

U MAD, AYYMDPOORFAGS
>>
File: l6mmzk4mpfrx.png (1MB, 1902x1723px) Image search: [Google]
l6mmzk4mpfrx.png
1MB, 1902x1723px
>>57077697
Just because my build isn't on fire?
I'll take more reliable hardware over spyware laden cards with half the lifespan and twice the price.
>>
Have this motherboard http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=575AB547-2190-435F-A5BD-065A1C3D7BAA&lang=eng and I still look at it and think why? I got it very cheap and I needed a 1155 for a free i3 I had. The website brags about being able to crossfire/sli with easy and to be fair it works "okay" with the old cards I tried (2x 5870 and a gtx 560) but even with only one installed the board had a tendencie to fail to boot into bios (based dual bios).

Maybe this board could have been used in a renderfarm? It just seams like it was made to get all bitcoinfarmers to cream their pants.
>>
>>57077801
>Posting outdated hardware when AYYMD HOUSEFIRES cards are 290W which is more than GTX 480 250W and RX 480 killing motherboards by not following the PCIe power spec

STAY MAD, AYYMDPOORFAGS
>>
File: System.png (55KB, 1074x849px) Image search: [Google]
System.png
55KB, 1074x849px
>>57076292
>>
File: 820.jpg (27KB, 600x367px) Image search: [Google]
820.jpg
27KB, 600x367px
>>57080036
sweet setup.
what's it for?
Render Farm? Network Server?
>>
>>57076292
Have 64 at work. And no. It is frequently required.
>>
>>57081678
he's probably a cod kiddie who thinks battlefield 1 is the most taxing thing a computer can do.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.