[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking into building a PC capable of running all current

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: asdasd.jpg (50KB, 388x500px) Image search: [Google]
asdasd.jpg
50KB, 388x500px
I'm looking into building a PC capable of running all current AAA games in not-necessarily-maxed graphical settings, at a smooth frame at 1440p -- though 1080p is acceptable. (not interested in 4k right now)

But the problem is, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

My max budget is $2500 but honestly I think I'll only need to spend ~$1500 to accomplish my goals above. I think a GTX 1070 is more than enough for my needs but feel free to correct me. I don't want (or even need?) a GTX 1080, nor do I think I need to go SLI with two GTX 1070s. I'd be happy with an approx. 500gb SSD (bigger would be lovely but not a necessity) and would like a 2-3TB HDD.

Can anyone here take a few minutes to point out the parts needed to hit my goals? I know it's not great to ask someone to do my work for me but I know absolutely nothing about compatibility of parts, what is necessary for my needs, or almost anything about building a PC for that matter.
>>
>>57072982
ps4 pro
>>
>>57072982
Logicalincrements.com
>>
>>57072982
6700 (K)
GTX 1070
850 evo 500gb
>>
>>57073208
Also
pcpartpicker.com
>>
>>57072982
16 GiB ram, 1070/80, 4GHz + processor (can be overclocked)
>>
>>57073226
Also,
some 2x8gb ddr4 RAM
170 series mobo

add that in pcpartpicker and just choose any decent 600+ psu
>>
File: 1392826081307.jpg (614KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1392826081307.jpg
614KB, 683x1024px
>>57073061
This

You need a case, motherboard, processor, hard drive, ram, video card, power supply, a cooling solution for the processor (either a heatsink and fan or a radiator and fan), monitor, mouse, keyboard.

That's really it. Just make sure it's all compatible and it more or less snaps together like legos. You may need to read documentation or watch a YouTube video. It's very easy.
>>
or just do it the /g/ way
> But a shitty Thinkpad
> Install gento
>throw that shit away and muy a macbook
> sell that shit and build a pc as specified before
>>
>>57073269
Cpu cooler
> stock is shit
> watercooling is a meme

buy a Noctua that fits your case (like n-14)
Silent as you GFs orgasms
>>
>>57073061

Seems like the perfect site for what I'm looking for. Thank you!

But is everything there completely interchangeable? I really worry about buying something that doesn't fit on the motherboard or even inside the case I choose.
>>
>>57072982
2 Rx 480s in cross fire deliver the same performance as a 1080.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/07/amd-rx-480-crossfire-vs-nvidia-gtx-1080-ashes/
>>
>>57074166

I wouldn't advice CF or SLI setup.
>>
>>57072982
You need an amd 382 25sx with 16 megs of ram, generic vga card that can display 640x480 a Sound Blaster ISA card, and a 2400 baud modem. Also install Gentoo. Then you will be a gaming god
>>
>>57074166
crossfire and sli is dumb unless you are running titans. people who suggest multiple gpu setups are literal retards and terrible trolls
>>
>>57072982
>i7 6700K
>MSI B150 gaming Mobo
>64 GB of DDR4 mem @ 2133 MHz. Try to get some with a head spreader, such as Kingston FuryX or something
>Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 500GB to start. Add additional SSDs as you need space. For media, if you will also do editing and gameplay recording, add a large HDD, maybe 2-4TB.
>GTX 980 or 1080, preferably 2 of them, SLI configuration
>For processor, probably a Noctua fan, unless you want liquid cooling
>For case, i don't know. pick something big enough.
>For case fans, pretty much anything, but Noctua is good. Colored lighted fans are neat, though

on Amazon, you're looking, for my items... (the ones I specified, not the "You pick" items):
~$1900-2000 if you get 2x GTX 1080
Sub ~$640 if you only get 1x
That leaves you with $500-$600 to pick a cheap case, some fans, a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

For mouse, I recommend the UTechSmart Venus, as it has a fuckton of macros and keys. (12 on side. 18 total + a profile switch at bottom [although you can program another as profile switch, too for easiness], 5 profiles)
Keyboard: pretty much anything you like. Mechanical or pseudo-mechanical is best for gaming, b/c it won't wear down as easy.
>>
>>57074584
heat* spreader

oh sorry, the 850 EVO also is add ~$150. so it's $2000-$2150, leaving you about $350 for the other stuff.
>>
>>57074429
>people who suggest multiple gpu setups are literal retards and terrible trolls
No, because it is functionally better
http://www.techspot.com/review/1195-palit-geforce-gtx-1080-sli/

But, it depends what you're looking for.
MUCH better? No, but noticeably.
So, for double the price, you get maybe 50% higher frames and such.
It depends if you wanna maximize performance or maximize performance per cost.

More will always be better than less, but it will not be better in the same ratio.
So, you gotta ask, are you willing to spend 200% the price for 150% the effect?
If yes, then it's for you. Else, don't.

But it's not "literally retarded" or "trolling"
Try not to be a dumbass BEFORE you post.
>>
>>57074727
yeah! I'm so dumb

>lets spend double money for less than double performance
>also, I've got to hope the developers implemented sli/crossfire well, if at all
>I'm not a literal retard who doesn't get assblasted by words from a faggot on the internet
>mfw I don't need to use meme arrows because you listed why sli/crossfire is dumb in your post

it is always better to get a more powerful gpu unless there isn't one and you have money to burn. at least you aren't claiming two rx480s are equivalent to a gtx 1080 because of memes of the singularity
>>
File: AdvancedAdultPCSimulator.jpg (9KB, 257x196px) Image search: [Google]
AdvancedAdultPCSimulator.jpg
9KB, 257x196px
>>
>>57074865
>lets spend double money for less than double performance
>mfw I don't need to use meme arrows because you listed why sli/crossfire is dumb in your post
No, I listed why it is a valid thing to do, though it IS only for people looking for that extra kick.

It's called diminishing returns, but that doesn't mean it's STUPID.
It's just not ENOUGH for (YOU).
>Why spend twice the price on a processor that only gets 1.3x the clock speeds?
Um, i don't know... maybe because 4.5GHz is WAY better than 3.5GHz?
>Why spend so much more on a 7200 RPM HDD than a 5400 RPM HDD?
Maybe because 5400 RPM is literally unusable for anything other than media?

Don't be a total dumbass; quality is different for different people. Some will spend noticeably more for just that extra kick to put it over the edge. Others will not; you fall into that category.

But it's NOT /objectively/ not worth it; it's only not worth it to (YOU)

>No, I'm not even a gamer, certainly not the kind you know of.

When I DO, however, get my workstation, I will be crossfiring multiple graphics cards, like 4... of the FirePro W9100.
And no, it's NOT going to give me a fucktacularly greater performance for daily tasks, but when I try to push AI off to shaders, every single GB counts, so $20K is DEFINITELY worth it over $5K, even if it only comes out to like... 2.7x the processing capabilities.
(Well, also monitors. I'd only need 2 of the W9100s to cover all my monitors, but I'd still get 4, for that extra fucking kick)

Is it worth it? For me, yes. For you, apparently not. But, don't talk about value like it's objective, retard.
>>
>>57074584
>500-600 for case, monitor, fans, keyboard, mouse
>cheap
No, cheap is $11. $500 is plenty unless you're buying the most expensive stuff you can find. This is cheap:
>case: $0 (none/cardboard box)
>monitor: $10 (goodwill)
>fan: $0 (stock)
>keyboard: $1 (goodwill)
>mouse: $0 (steal from work)
For $500 you can buy top tier stuff:
>case: $75
>monitor: $250 (120hz 1440p IPS)
>fan: $20 (212 evo)
>keyboard: $60 (massdrop)
>mouse: $25 (deathadder)
You also get $70 over. Fucking rich kids man, I swear.
>>
>>57075169
>No, cheap is $11. $500 is plenty unless you're buying the most expensive stuff you can find. This is cheap:
No, that is gay, not cheap.
(and also illegal about stealing a mouse from work - go eat a pile of dicks)

>For $500 you can buy top tier stuff:
No, you will buy good tier stuff. Top-tier is a display wall, STILL a $40 mouse... and maybe a $200 gaming keyboard for even more macros.
But this guy requested what he can get for $2500. I picked the most powerful computer that makes sense for him and threw in an overage for decent peripherals of his choice.

>Fucking rich kids man, I swear.
Yeahhhhh.....
Nah, you're talking to someone whose primary interest is in developing servers with high-productivity peripherals. I normally would never even recommend NVidia OR anything less than Xeon.

And no, I'm not rich. Nor am I a kid.
I'm a web developer and application programmer.
Maybe in a year or 2, I'll be able to afford my ridiculous bullshit, but putting $$$ into a computer is more important than putting $$ into something like a car, because the more powerful the computer, the more capability to do what I need to.
>I'm still running a 2010 i3 first Gen on a Studio 1558, which isn't even supported anymore.
I WISH I could (currently) just throw like fucking $2500 at a PC, but right now, no.

Doesn't mean I think good quality is crap, because high-efficiency and ultra-high performance is what I consider good, regardless of if I have it.
The less power, and/or the less functionality, automatically the worse. Price doesn't matter except in determining how good you can get, not WHAT IS good.

For instance my PC is pretty crap. It does what I need it to, but little more.
On the other hand, what I suggested to him is ASTRONOMICALLY better than mine, but still crap in my opinion.
>>
File: 2016-10-14a.png (40KB, 674x587px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-14a.png
40KB, 674x587px
>>57075349
for reference, my Speccy atm
>>
>>57075129
op asked about running AAA games, implying a gaming application, so your workstation application is irrelevant. multi gpu setups simply aren't a good idea for gaming because of diminishing returns and the fact that most games don't support it, and not every one does well. not to mention microstuttering and massive sudden frame drops

>spending money on a processor with higher clock
it will be used all the time
>spending money on a better hdd
>>not getting an ssd
it will also be used all the time

these analogies don't work, because not every game uses multi gpu, and those that do don't always do so well. unless you are building for a specific application (read: a particular game) that will specifically leverage the power of multiple gpus, it is a waste of money. there is a reason nvidia says fuck you to people doing more than two way sli: it is cost prohibitive, diminishing returns, hardly and game developers utilize it, and hardly anyone is running three or four way sli, much less two way. sli for gaming simply isn't worth it unless you have the current top end gpu and you have money to spend, knowing full well that in some games that second gpu will be nothing more than an expensive brick
>>
>>57075473
>not getting an ssd
I suggested an SSD, but an HDD for data and media only.

>it will also be used all the time
Ok, fair, I see what you did here.

HOWEVER:
>hardly and game developers utilize it
YET
It's called future-proofing. It would let his (currently) new PC outlive at least 1 whole generation.
No, it will not be utilized extensively NOW, but the ones that DO will benefit heavily, and the ones that WILL LATER ON, will work better than on a single.

Now, if he does NOT get dual-GPU, that's fine, too. It's up to him how he uses that ~$640 from my suggestion, but it is BETTER than not having it, performance-wise.
>What do I mean by this?
Simple, performance across every conceivable application is more important than performance across most normal applications.

In other words:
>Get ONE application that would see that improvement, and you will WISH you HAD it.
Perhaps you won't regret it if cost is a more concerning factor than performance for you, but you'll still wish you HAD it when it IS available.
>>
>>57075589
many will argue that future proofing isn't possible (if you haven't guessed, I agree) because something better is always around the corner. like my 980ti is now roughly equivalent to a 1070, and this year's $1200 titan will be eclipsed by the next titan and the XX80ti

I will never recommend multi gpu to someone who is wanting to play games. its just not worth it. you'd be better off spending that money on a nice monitor or upgraded peripherals (or save it for the next generation) instead of a second gpu. for people who know what they're doing, like you, then it doesn't matter. if someone is asking for advice on their hypothetical gaymen computer on a mongolian horse insemination image board then they don't know what they're doing

tl;dr for gaming: no, unless you've got money to spend and this is your hobby. for other things that I don't know about: maybe, I don't know

I just don't see how sli is desirable with the combined effects of microstuttering, massive frame drops in the form of terrible 1% and 0.1% low frame times, and poor sli implementation if it even exists
>>
>>57074584
>64 GB of DDR4 mem @ 2133 MHz. Try to get some with a head spreader, such as Kingston FuryX or something
>recommending capacity over speed
>for DDR4
>on a gaming-centered machine
I'd rather get 16GB @ 3200+Mhz than 64GB @ 2133.
>>
>>57072982
Get a gtx 1080 or single 1070, SLI is shit unless you're doing VR
>>
>>57075589
>future proofing
Are you ignorant or is this bait? Because of how multi GPU needs to be set up by developers with nvidia/amd older multi GPU set ups are completely ignored. By the time it becomes widely supported in gaming your dual 1070s could be 4-10 releases too old and therefore neither devs nor nvidia cares enough to support such a small audience. This isn't all hypotheticals, theres outrage over this every few years.
>>
>>57075169
>60$ memechanical for gaming
>>
>>57072982
Memory faster than FSB is waste.
Some multicore processors are better at single threading.
Your hard drive can't be "too fast"
>>
>>57077821
Also, pick your power supply First.
>>
File: 1401301719626.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
1401301719626.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
>>57077838
Also also.
Too much thermal paste is just as bad as too little. Watch some videos for an idea on application.
It's somewhat of an anxious thing your first time, but it's not too terribly difficult.
I've replaced everything but the hard drive from a pre-built and I'm an idiot.
If I can do it, surely you can.
You are Here for advice after all.
That counts for a bit im-not-so-ho.
>>
>>57077919
Also also also.
Get a full size case regardless of mobo.
The case should have mount points for a mini-itx anyway.
You'll be glad for t he extra room for your hands and the wires.
And allows for more fans in the absence of radiator.
Also regarding "loud" fans.
I have 5. 1 came with the case, three were cheap as shit and one came from the original pre-built. They aren't "whisper quiet" but they're not really that loud either. If you use headphones or have even just some cheap plug n play speakers, the fans "intolerable noise won't be an issue. Those five cheap assume fans plus the video cards built in fan are quite right than the hum of the refrigerator. It's really not as bad as some would have you believe.
>>
My new job has me working at a company that specializes in wholesale for servers and networking supply.

Is it at all possible to get low to mid range server parts and build a powerful gaming rig? I'd also like to use it for streaming and video editing.

Break my bubble now anon. Has it been done? Is it worth doing?
>>
>>57078040
>quit right
Goddam autocorrect.
*quieter than the fridge hum
fml
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.