[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

20+ year windowsfag I want off this ride

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: meirl.jpg (66KB, 500x505px) Image search: [Google]
meirl.jpg
66KB, 500x505px
Hey all, I am an old guy. I was born into a DOS household, been using Windows almost exclusively since 3.1 besides a short stint a red hat linux with xwindows partition when I was 16 or 17 back in the 90's

Anyways, I'm no computer pro but I'm pretty savvy. I am concerned with the disgusting tablet Windows 8/10 os, and I finally want off this ride. My laptop is getting a bit behind the times and I'd like to buy a new laptop but they all have win 10 and I can't do it

I literally use my computer for shitposting, browsing the internet and downloading music/movies. Nothing fancy, not much of a gamer

My question for you guys is

Ubuntu

or Mint

I've done a little bit of reading and I'm sure either would work fine, but am interested in hearing the pros and cons from someone who has a better grasp of Linux than me

again, I wanna reiterate I'm not a computer pro, just a nerd who feels like the new Windows OS'es are tablet-y and obnoxious and would like to give Linux a shot
>>
>>57071829
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64
>>
You can get some ladies next time mate! (:
>>
>>57071829
I'd recommend Ubuntu or one of the flavours, such as Xubuntu to get you going. Most of the privacy/technopolitical concerns regarding Ubuntu relate to things which as far as I understand are limited to mainline Ubuntu.

If all you want is to do end-user things, any *buntu will keep you comfortable when you need, and let you tinker when you don't. Only thing holding you back is to get started. If you want to worry about distros a lot, I'd recommend looking into partitioning your home separately or whatever it is distro-hoppers do.
>>
>>57071829
If you want to go with Ubuntu go for it and avoid Mint. It's not simple, there are many distro but at the end only a few bright more than others. Have you considered Debian? If you want to go full-blown from the beginning there's Arch also, but the learning curve might be tougher.
>>
>>57071829

Honestly old brah, go for Ubuntu. Mint is derived from Ubuntu anyway but is considered less secure due to the way it handles upgrades.
>>
>>57071829
>Ubuntu
>or Mint

Those are both the same. Install openSUSE or be forever frustrated by the lack of thumbnail previews in Firefox's file picker.
>>
Buy a mac.
>>
Debian is pretty regular.
>>
>>57071829
Ubuntu mate, kubuntu or regular ubuntu are your best bets. If you want to use mint because it looks like windows might as well use zorinOS.
>>
>>57071829
distrowat.ch

you can try all of them for as long as you want
>>
>>57071829
go for ubuntu mate or xubuntu

they're the most windows like
>>
>>57072019
>distrowatch
trash
>>
>>57071953

I just wanna dive in all the way. I still have a win 7 pro desktop, but my win 7 laptop is getting really old and so I wanted to try linux on it's replacement

I want to get a refurbished dell latitude with better specs than mine from Ebay for ~300 and just go full linux

there are lots of refurbs bundled with ubuntu or mint so I figured those were the most popular dists so if I ran into any problems i'd be able to get help from the community easier
>>
>>57071829
>do I want Ubuntu or Ubuntu green

Please go for Ubuntu. All Mint has going for it is the Cinnamon DE which is very Windows like. It does so many annoying things. For example they hijack the Firefox search to make ad money. Their updater by default does not update important system parts. They got themselves hacked before.
>>
>>57071972

i'm also a poorfag

>>57072028
>>57071953
>>57071942
>>57071964
>>57072014

looks like I'm going with ubuntu, thanks for the answers guys

off to ebay
>>
>>57072087
Have fun.
>>
>>57072053
most of the problems youll have are a google search away on mint/ubuntu

i switched over to linux about 4 months ago and i think i've only had to ask one or two questions in the stupid question general here for help, everything else was easily found on google or the arch wiki
>>
>>57071829
KDE Neon
>>
>>57072053
As far as I can read many others agree with me, if you have to choose between Mint and Ubuntu go for the latter in some flavor. More support, much wider community, you can still do pretty much anything, it's of course also safer. It's also a pretty good choice for beginners that want to learn. After some practice you can understand better what you want from your distribution, as each one is different in some way.
>>
Lubuntu

the people behind LXDE put a lot of effort to make it feel like a classic desktop

if you are used to windows this will be the closest you can get
>>
>>57073543
This. I've had hard time finding something so simple. And with the win95 skin is just perfect.
>>
>>57071829
I, personally, recommend you Linux Mint with Cinnamon. Try it now in a VM and learn how to install programs with apt-get and how to configure it how. Don't hear to people who are memeing and recommend Arch, you would give up fast. There is a good reason why Mint is on the top of the distrowatch list. And if you like it - stay with it. Don't let youself bully by idiots who say it's shit because it is not.

Also if you buy a new laptop look if there are Linux drivers for everything and if there are known problems.
>>
>>57074769

although I said I was going w ubuntu earlier in thread, i actually am going with mint because the best deal I found for a refurb linux laptop on ebay actually comes with mint 17.1 preinstalled

I won't have to dick around with drivers to get it up and running thankfully

when I took my first linux adventure in the late 90's I had to bust out the old 14.4kbps modem because Linux couldn't work with my elite 33.6 winmodem

I'm pretty excited. I'm unclear which mint it is, the seller says 17.1 I've been watching lots of videos so I know there aredifferent styles

they all look pretty user friendly. I'm taking the time this week to learn about shell commands and linux 101. If I become l337 I might throw a version on my main desktop as well.

If I run into any shit I still have two functioning windows pc's to google my way out of it or come back here and start a thread talking shit about linux
>>
>>57071829
Debian is superior. It's basically the same, just without the Canonical botnet. I also highly recommend KDE no matter which OS you go with.
>>
>>57071875
This. Don't step into the kiddie pool. Dive strait into the deep end.
>>
>>57072103
Kek
>>
>>57075162
Mint is basically Lindows. You'll feel right at home.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.