[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Internet on a netbook

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

File: HPMini.jpg (183KB, 800x910px) Image search: [Google]
HPMini.jpg
183KB, 800x910px
Netbooks are great as hell, but they struggle hard on modern web.

How can I solve that?

Also a netbook general thread.
>>
So cute, wish the would have made them powerful as well.
>>
>>57065742
Buy a chromebook instead.
>>
>>57065742
w3m
disable javashit entirely
>>
>>57065742
Use i3 and midori or palemoon intel atom edition, I can have a few tabs open and program on it so it's all good
>>
>>57065978
I wish this were a viable solution since I love w3m.

Unfortunately half the web is raped by javascript and cloudflare.
>>
>>57068204

Yeah, netbooks arn't gonna cut it as long as bloated web dev. is accepted.
>>
how the fuck do people get such terrible mileage out of netbooks when I can get a tolerable experience out of a Pentium III without giving a single fuck???

is everyone here just extremely impatient or very web app-reliant?
>>
>>57068242

And right on queue we have the sanctimonious faggot of /g/.

Fuck this place is getting worse & worse.
Probably votes for Trump or the ALP.
>>
my 5 year old netbook with an AMD APU doesn't struggle with the modern web, like at all
>>
>>57065742
>How can I solve that?

Create the next generation internet technology that isn't as bloated as the whole HTML/CSS/JS stack.

It still pains me how the modern web is so fucking shit when it doesn't even provide a more complex service than it did 15 years ago. Especially now that every website is essentially a thin client to a remote server, and I don't get why a fucking GUI that does zero processing is so fucking slow and takes that much memory.
>>
>>57068242
I have a old T60 as a daily driver. 1.8Ghz(x2) and 2GB of RAM. And I have never gotten as bad performance as people with much better tech seem to complain about.

Then again I do run uBlock and uMatrix.
>>
File: clean install.webm (3MB, 540x360px) Image search: [Google]
clean install.webm
3MB, 540x360px
i got a samsung n150 from 2010 still in service. exchanged hdd for ssd and put mate on it runs fine without much hickups even though its 6 year old tech.
>>
>>57065742
>2009 Acer aspire one
>1.6Ghz Intel atom single core
>1GB RAM
>>
>>57065742
Use as light of a system you can (I enjoy a basic OpenBox setup) to ensure no ressources get wasted before you even open the browser.
Then, use a browser that doesn't waste your ressources. Chrome might be fast, but it eats tons of memory. Firefox doesn't, has nice, fast Javascript, but still uses too much ressources for a machine this small, so deactivate JS, external Fonts etc. by default (use uMatrix or Policeman).
Try out some super lightweight browser like Luakit.
Many websites are quite usable with even the most basic feature set, even the RMS method of wgetting a site and reading it in the text viewer of your choice is viable.
Stop using any webapplications you can replace. Don't use googlemail, use a mail client. Don't use online office, use local software etc.
>>
>>57068649
>Stop using any webapplications you can replace. Don't use googlemail, use a mail client. Don't use online office, use local software etc.

To be fair, you should be doing this anyway.
>>
Why not have something a little modern, like say an Asus transformer for example?
>>
web browsers aren't the internet you moron.
>>
>>57068696
Might as well be these days.
>>
>>57068204

you just need to change your user agent

$ grep -E '^user_agent' .w3m/config
user_agent JAVASCRIPT/CLOUDFLARE IS THE LEADING CAUSE OF GLOBAL WARMING---IS JAVASCRIPT/CLOUDFLARE REALLY NECESSARY FOR YOUR WEBSITE?
>>
Just make it a text-based mini computer and have a lot more fun.

Seriously I'm having more fun going around people's BBSs and Gopher Holes than I've had on the net since...Well, 2005 time.
>>
>>57068758
This is why I'm a huge low-power device advocate. That solar powered Raspberry Pi running a BBS is probably my favourite thing in the world right now.

Few environmentalists ever really think about this though. They're so in to their "food miles" but don't really ever think about their "tech miles."
>>
>>57065742

- use IE11, it has much faster GUI than chrome on netbooks
- use hacked GMA500 drivers from here http://gma500booster.blogspot.hr/
- Asus netbooks can be overlocked from bios for some additional kick
>>
>>57068337

Nah you don't get how slow single core atom is.

I've upgraded from single core atom 1.33 to core2duo 1.0 and it's like 5-6x faster than atom.
>>
>>57068758
This is super neat, changing my user agent to this
>>
Netbooks were pretty shitty devices back in the day, unless you had one of those Fujitsu Life books or a VAIO. Everything else was just cheap chink trash with low performance and broke easily.
>>
>>57069826

Don't know man, had Asus eee 1201, build quality was just like regular laptop or even better.

It was slow yeah but very light and with insane battery life which made it even smaller and lighter since I didn't have to carry powerbrick and cables with me.
>>
Netbooks and laptops are depreciated by smartphones.
>>
File: 41O8jRDQefL._SY400_.jpg (27KB, 437x400px) Image search: [Google]
41O8jRDQefL._SY400_.jpg
27KB, 437x400px
>>57065742
Reminds me of this netbook my parents bought for me before I left for college. Was a Gateway LT4004u, had an Atom 2600 and 1GB of RAM. I used to think it was a piece of shit because it would lag just doing mundane things in menus, while my literal sperg of a roommate brought a huge custom PC he spent over a thousand dollars on just to play Team Fortress 2 all day. It came with Windows 7 Starter edition, which has the most bizarre features missing, like changing your desktop wallpaper without a third party application. Eventually, I was fed up with that shitty slow experience and replaced it with Xubuntu, my first Linux. It became maximum comfy, didn't lag too terribly, and I used it for a few years after that even after building a decent desktop. Perfect for shitposting in bed.

I miss the poor thing, but it wasn't worth my money to fix when it eventually broke down, even for sentimental value. Rest in peace.
>>
how pathetic is it that system requirements are now a factor in browsing the motherfucking internet

you can thank the retarded faggots over at >>>/wdg/ for that
>>
File: good.png (78KB, 194x257px) Image search: [Google]
good.png
78KB, 194x257px
>>57069826
>tfw when fujitsu lifebook running OpenBSD
>>
>>57068242
let us know when you use ot for something different than usenet, irc and gopher granpa
>>
>>57068363
>clean istall
top kek

>>57070104
Why not lubuntu. That runs so smoothly on really old computers, and 1G of ram is more than enough for shitpostin in here
>>
>>57065742
So what, is a netbook just a small laptop with shitty hardware or is there actually an advantage to getting one over a Thinkpad X2xx?
>>
>>57070272

Used mine until recently for work. 7 hours runtime easy out of tiny battery.
>>
Minimal Arch with LXDE if you absolutely have to have a DE. Otherwise just a WM like i3 or awesome.

Will speed up your shit a lot
>>
>>57069925
Smartphones are depreciated by computers with physical keyboards.
>>
>>57065953
If you just use it for the web then chromebooks are awesome. But that's all they are good for.
>>
File: phil-schiller.jpg (113KB, 600x514px) Image search: [Google]
phil-schiller.jpg
113KB, 600x514px
>>57070133
What's pathetic is that people have computers more than 5 years old.

Isn't it time to "update," goy?
>>
>>57068274
HTML/CSS/JS isn't bloated if it's used as was originally intended: for presenting goddamn information
>>
>>57070133
https://kmandla.wordpress.com/2014/04/23/welcoming-the-new-encumbrance/
>>
>>57070170
OpenBSD is a massive headache to get to the point of being a reasonable desktop, but I agree, any BSD is great on a netbook
>>
i havea hp mini 311 and it has an nvidia ion gpu which allows it to play san andreas multiplayer and some terraria but other than that its too slow to use in this day and age.
>>
>>57068204
Then that site is not worth visiting
>>
>>57070777
That's the problem. If it was the information that mattered we'd all be on gopher right now.
>>
>>57065742
shell out $1500 and buy a macbook :^)
>>
>>57070777
>HTML/CSS/JS
>presenting goddamn information

Why do you need CSS and JS for "presenting information"?
>>
>>57065742
>How can I solve that?
By buying a real computer.
>>
>>57070777
>for presenting goddamn information
That surely explains why the average Twitter page, whose actual content consists is 140 char long "tweets", is usually over 1 megabyte big.

That's the worst content/data ratio I've seen in my entire goddamn life. A Gameboy could display tweets for fuck's sake.
>>
>>57071453
>is usually over 1 megabyte big.
My mistake, I just checked a random page: 5.490 megabyte it is, and only two picture tweets.
>>
>>57071453
>>57071465
Considering that 140 characters is, well, 140 bytes, that's pretty disgusting.
>>
>>57071605
I'd say it's absolutely shameful to waste so much CPU, memory and bandwidth only to see retards spit their idiocy at billions of people.
>>
>>57069809
Don't. Unique user-agent strings make you super-easy to track. Use common user-agent strings to blend in.
>>
>>57068274
Doesn't provide a more complex service then 15 years ago. K dude you must be baitin hard with that one.
>>
>>57068232
I use it for infrastructure networking
you know... wireless shit
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.